Australia Packaging Covenant
HP Australia made a voluntary commitment and signed National Packaging Covenant (NPC) in November 2005. The National Packaging Covenant is a five year voluntary commitment aimed at reducing the environmental impacts arising from the disposal of used packaging, conserve resources through better design and production processes and facilitate the re-use and recycling of used packaging materials. In July 2010, HP renewed another five year commitment to the new Australian Packaging Covenant (APC) when the NPC expired.
The objective of the Covenant is to minimize the overall environmental impacts of packaging by pursuing goals in:
1. Design: Optimize packaging to use resources efficiently and reduce environmental impact without compromising product quality and safety
2. Recycling: efficiently collect and recycle packaging
3. Product stewardship: demonstrate commitment by all signatories.
As a signatory to the Covenant, HP Australia has committed to fulfill its APC commitment by:
1. Producing an 5 year action plan (2010~2015)
2. Providing an annual report on performance against the Covenant undertakings and action plan commitments based on:
a) Relevant key performance indicators for Design, Recycling and Product Stewardship,
b) Baseline data and actions and as well as
c) Providing designated funding for the duration of the Covenant to support packaging related projects.
3. Allow independent audits of annual reports and the implementation of action plans.
4. Implement design and procurement processes that drive sustainable design of packaging, consistent with the Sustainable Packaging Guidelines
5. Implement policies or procedures to buy products made from recycled materials.
6. Establish collection and recycling programs for used packaging materials generated on-site.
7. Take action, where appropriate, to reduce litter; and
8. Assist the Covenant Council to respond to complaints from the public about the design and use of packaging materials.
HP is also committed to applying the principles of the Covenant to the Australia operations, working collaboratively with other parties (e.g. packaging partners) in the packaging chain and to promoting the adoption of the principles and undertakings set in the Covenant.
To read HP’s APC action plan, click here
To read HP’s APC 2011 annual report, click here
To read HP’s APC 2012 annual report, click here
For a copy of the HP APC certificate of registration, click here.
HP Wins Australian Packaging Evolution Award
HP’s exceptional results in packaging environmental design and waste management have been recognised at the 2008 Australia Packaging Evolution Awards.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com.au.