KishHealth System Chooses HP Converged Storage to Speed Delivery of Medical Records
DeKalb, Ill.-based KishHealth System provides outpatient services in 13 facilities across Northern Illinois. To speed medical record delivery and eliminate hand-written errors, KishHealth wanted to transition from hard copy to digital records. This required a scalable platform that could support the capacity demands for storing medical images on its Agfa Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS). KishHealth also sought to increase data center performance to improve response time of its MEDITECH electronic medical records (EMR) system.
Upgrading its infrastructure with HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, HP StoreOnce Backup and HP StoreAll Storage has enabled KishHealth to increase performance, capacity utilization and availability for medical records and imaging applications while simplifying IT administration.
“To ensure the highest-quality patient care, KishHealth needed a storage platform capable of maintaining maximum performance while scaling to accommodate our expanding digital medical records and communication requirements,” said Patrick Yonke, senior systems administrator, KishHealth System. “HP Converged Storage meets KishHealth’s long-term capacity needs while improving workflow quality and efficiency to ensure our patients don’t have to wait for quality care.”
HP Converged Storage, a key component of HP Converged Infrastructure, integrates scale-out federated software with standardized hardware platforms that leverage proven HP technology, enabling KishHealth to:
- Accelerate patient medical record routing to more than 250 physicians and 1,300 employees via HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, which improved KishHealth’s MEDITECH EMR system response time 60 percent.
- Increase workflow productivity with HP StoreOnce Backup deduplication combined with HP partner BridgeHead’s Integrated Serverless Backup, which improved system performance and application availability by reducing EMR data backup time from six hours to just minutes.
- Lower data center total cost of ownership with HP StoreOnce Backup and HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning Software. HP StoreOnce Backup reduced KishHealth’s PACS data storage consumption by 92 percent with deduplication capabilities that consolidate data and increase disk storage efficiency on the backup system. Thin provisioning maximizes capacity utilization, eliminating the healthcare provider’s need to purchase additional hardware as EMR repository requirements increase. Thin provisioning reduced overall storage capacity by 62 percent through the creation of a centralized pool of available storage.
- Improve data center efficiency using the HP 3PAR Management Console, which enables KishHealth to administer and optimize storage systems via a single window, including remote replication to disaster recovery sites, nondisruptive online system upgrades and system performance monitoring.
- Increase medical staff productivity though centralized management of HP StoreAll Storage, which speeds image retrieval times by increasing storage capacity and flexibility while reducing costs for KishHealth’s Agfa PACS medical imaging data.
KishHealth also transferred its VMware View Client Virtualization software to the HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage system to better manage its client environment. This provides improved desktop computer performance and enhanced data center control along with security of both the EMR and PACs data with significantly reduced wait times for employees, doctors and patients.
“Healthcare institutions seeking to improve patient care can’t risk application performance decline and workflow disruptions with legacy data centers incapable of meeting digital medical record system capacity requirements,” said Chris Riley, vice president, U.S., Storage, HP. “In addition to scalability to accommodate future digital record growth, HP Converged Storage delivers around-the-clock availability and increased application performance, enabling KishHealth to improve the quality as well as responsiveness of patient care.”
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; the development and transition of new products and services and the enhancement of existing products and services to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the protection of HP's intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the hiring and retention of key employees; assumptions related to pension and other post-retirement costs and retirement programs; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2012. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2013 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.