HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals. We follow privacy policies and data protection practices to comply with the law and to earn trust and confidence in HP and its business practices. HP privacy policies and data protection practices extend by contract to our supplier and partner relationships. HP board members, employees, and those working on behalf of HP are informed about these policies and practices and are expected to follow them. HP privacy policies and practices reflect and reinforce the HP company values of trust, integrity, and quality.
Personal information may be collected from covered individuals through a variety of means, including, as examples, websites, other ordering channels, and service or employment processes. HP may also obtain personal information about covered individuals from other publicly or commercially available sources we deem credible.
This global master policy governs customer and employee data protection policies; implementation standards; rulebooks; business processes; applications; web, product, and service developments; and technology roadmaps.
All HP employees, board members, and contracted parties working on behalf of HP must comply with these policies, even if local law is less restrictive. Specific practices are tailored to meet the legal, regulatory, and cultural requirements of the countries and regions where HP operates.
Our privacy policies reflect current global principles and standards on handling personal information. These principles include notice of data use, choice of data use, data access, data integrity, security, onward transfer, and enforcement/oversight. We abide by the privacy laws in the countries where we do business.We use the definitions of personal data and sensitive personal data as definedin the Madrid Resolution. Briefly this is:
- Personal data means any information relating to an identified natural person or a person who may be identified by means reasonably likely to be used.
- Sensitive personal information is that which, in cases of misuse, may cause unlawful or arbitrary discrimination or other serious risk to the data subject. In particular, personal data that reveals aspects such as racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, or religious or philosophical beliefs will be considered sensitive data.
HP recognizes that the personal information it receives is held in a position of trust. We seek to fulfill that trust by adhering to the following general principles regarding personal data.Notice and Choice of Data Use
- HP does not sell, rent or lease personal information of covered individuals.
- HP provides notice and choice to individuals regarding the type of personal information collected and its intended uses.
- HP reviews the purposes for which data is to be collected from covered individuals to ensure that our data collection supports reasonable business requirements.
- HP does not use personal information obtained from covered individuals for purposes that are incompatible with the purposes stated in our notices.
- HP provides individuals with reasonable access to the personal information they provided to HP and the ability to review and correct it, as applicable.
- HP takes reasonable steps to ensure that all applicable personal information is accurate, complete and current.
- HP is committed to protecting personal information against unauthorized use or disclosure.
- HP provides additional levels of protection for data considered to be sensitive personal data.
- HP does not transfer personal information provided by covered individuals to third parties unless those third parties promise to give the data the equivalent level of protection that HP provides.
- As a global company operating in many locations around the world, HP may use Global Delivery Centers located outside of the country where the data is collected.
- HP uses best commercial practices to obtain personal information by lawful and fair means.
- HP complies with relevant privacy and data protection laws in the locations in which HP operates.
HP addresses complaints or disputes regarding personal information promptly and courteously.
HP Privacy Office
11445 Compaq Center Drive W.
Houston, Texas 77070
Online Privacy Statement
Version date: November 11, 2011