HP connects the science and technology of cybersecurity
Today's security threats are more sophisticated than ever. Building walls and reacting to intrusions is no longer enough to keep your critical systems, data and assets secure.
HP connects the science and technology of cybersecurity with industry-leading services, products, and solutions. We build in security up front, so that our services secure the mission of our government clients—not just meet their need for enhanced information technology.
Our comprehensive and integrated approach to cybersecurity:
- Enables agility in command and control
- Supports end-to-end automated situational awareness
- Helps you stay ahead of your adversaries
- Assists you in achieving your mission
Our focus on service excellence has enabled us to successfully serve government clients and critical infrastructure industries with highly complex environments and enhanced security demands, all around the world.
Cyber Threats Are Real and Growing
Today’s attempts to breach your infrastructure have greater sophistication, agility, complexity and coordination.
Frequently supported and financed by criminal or state-sanctioned organizations, these advanced and persistent cyber attacks seek to damage, disrupt, destroy, and steal your information. They want to stop your mission.
With HP as a strategic partner, you can identify and control present risks and stay ahead of emerging threats.
The HP Cybersecurity Services Framework
HP provides a continuum of services to meet the IT security needs of our public sector clients — whether they want help in designing, implementing, or maintaining their own security environment; out-tasking certain security management functions; or with full outsourcing of their IT environment.
Cybersecurity Solution Overview (PDF, 1 MB)
Learn more about our Cybersecurity Solutions for U.S. Public Sector
Why is applications security important? Quite simply, because the applications layer is one of the weakest points in our security structure today. More than 70% of successful attacks happen in the applications environment. The blurring of the boundary between work and personal devices, and the citizens’ demand for ubiquitous services, is rapidly expanding the applications that public sector organizations must secure. And governments must still deliver services from old applications that were not designed for this new threat environment while adding new applications that put a premium on the users’ experience over security. Under these new threat and user profiles, public sector organizations need to rethink how they address applications security.
HP Applications Security services help clients improve software assurance by bridging the gap between traditional application development processes and modern security measures. We provide a full suite of applications security services including application testing—with security code review, vulnerability assessment and penetration testing, security consulting services and our Comprehensive Applications Security Analysis (CATA), which provides the ability to design security resilience into the applications architecture.
Gain the following from HP applications Security services:
- Reduction in breaches and the costs associated with post-incident investigations and mitigation activities
- Comprehensive services to secure your applications throughout their lifecycle, with a strong emphasis on proactive approaches that avoid rework cost
- Leverage of proven expertise, security certifications, tools and techniques for securing your applications
- Knowledge transfer from subject matter experts to provide training opportunities for your staff
Testing for security vulnerabilities happens late in the development lifecycle. At this stage, only a limited number of security defects can be found. And when found, they're expensive to fix—up to 100 times more expensive or more than if found in the requirements phase! It's better to build security into applications from the ground up—design it in rather than relying on testing alone.
HP Comprehensive Applications Threat Analysis Service does just that. We can analyze applications early in the lifecycle to identify vulnerabilities and recommend changes where you realize the most value—before coding begins. HP Comprehensive Applications Threat Analysis Service drives down the cost of making applications secure by finding threats early to avoid rework and can avoid many more vulnerabilities than testing alone.
CATA can also be effectively used to analyze existing applications to assess their security risk posture and remediate findings. It also functions very efficiently like an Independent Validation and Verification (IV&V) of security requirements and architectural security resilience for any applications development projects.
Security and quality experts
HP Comprehensive Applications Threat Analysis service combines our expertise in security and software quality management. It can help you get it right the first time, rather than fixing problems after they are created.
Benefits of the CATA service:
- Enables the ability to architect “secure-by-design” applications.
- Provides a low cost steady-state security quality assessment and improvement approach which can be applied throughout the development lifecycle to minimize or eliminate rework costs.
- Leverages the same superior quality methodology HP optimized and applied hundreds of times over several years to assess and achieve high security assurance in its own applications.
- Delivers expertise and a methodology that allows reviewed applications to have much higher security assurance than the industry norm.
- Leverages the expertise of HP’s 3,000+ security consultants hold more than one security certification, including, but not limited to CISSP, CISM, CAP, CSSLP, and CISA.
Continuous Monitoring (CM) enables agencies to constantly assess their IT security risk posture from all levels of the organization. It provides current security and compliance insights in real-time, to help improve security situational awareness and make cost-effective risk-based decisions.
Maintain situational awareness during inevitable changes
The objective of Continuous Monitoring (CM) is to determine if the required architectural security control, implemented within your information systems, remains effective over time despite inevitable environmental and operational changes. Maintaining visibility into your hardware, software, firmware and threat space is increasingly important as operations continue to evolve. When CM is integrated along with policies and processes, you have a much stronger overall risk management process.
Agencies are responsible for implementing and maintaining individual Information Assurance (IA) programs to assess organizational compliance with laws, regulations, policies, etc. Until recently, these IA programs were based upon periodic checklists – a snapshot in time of your organization’s security posture. In today’s advanced persistent threat environment, this manual approach to compliance reporting does not meet senior leadership needs for timely, decision-quality information.
Today, with a CM service replacing the traditional checklist-based IA approach, you receive:
- Continuous feedback on the effectiveness of your risk management activities and responses
- Real-time identification of changes to your information systems and operational environments, and the correlation between those changes and how they affect your risk tolerance
- Verification of compliance to legislation, executive orders, directives, policies and standards & guidelines
- Reduced costs with system and application maintenance
Data centers are increasingly becoming vulnerable to security threats. Since government data centers house critical information, agencies must ensure a secure data center infrastructure and citizen privacy in a cost-effective manner.
HP Data Center Security offerings consist of consulting and managed security services for providing security to data center infrastructure including servers, mainframes, storage, virtualized environments, and cloud computing environments. We help government agencies by strategizing cloud computing solutions that have solid value and can provide information security in line with organizational requirements.
With HP Data Center Security services, you can:
- rotect intellectual property, private data, and your reputation
- Avoid huge data breach costs
- Lower deployment risk and costs
- Minimize security vulnerabilities resulting from super user accounts, password settings, missing patches, incorrect configurations, and other potential vulnerabilities
- Securely take advantage of cost and flexibility advantages of cloud computing
Federal, state, and local agencies are faced with increased government and industry cybersecurity regulations, increased cost of proving compliance with these regulations, and a lack of control and visibility of critical information.
Agencies increasingly depend on data and content security to:
- Secure enterprise and client data
- Avoid huge data breach costs
- Prevent unauthorized viewing or alteration of critical, sensitive data
- Avoid reception or distribution of inappropriate or dangerous data
HP Data and Content Security Services focus on encrypting data and/or filtering data content to help protect intellectual property of the government as well as its reputation. These data protection services also allow appropriate exchange of information and services internally and externally, manage and reduce complexity, and assist in demonstrating regulatory compliance while minimizing costs. Services may be delivered individually or as part of integrated solutions.
HP Endpoint Security Services assists governments to proactively avoid security incidents occurring at network endpoints such as servers, PCs, mobile devices, and printers. These services:
- Protect against threats such as viruses, worms, malware, spyware, intrusions, malicious code, and unauthorized access
- Ensure endpoint data loss prevention
- Minimize the financial, operational, technical, legal, and public relations impact of a security incident
- Use centralized configuration, standardization, and automation to replace manual security activities
HP's integrated services for endpoint network security:
- Detect and quarantines 45 million malware annually
- Support over two million mobile handheld subscribers
The HP endpoint security solutions include:
- Endpoint Threat Management (EPTM)
- Host Intrusion Detection Services/Host Intrusion Prevention Services (HIDS/HIPS)
- System Hardening Services
- Mobile Security Services
- Image and Print Security Services
Endpoint Security Services - At-a-glance (PDF, 149 KB)
Few challenges are more difficult for leaders in the public sector than delivering government services that rely on and are enabled by a secure environment that spans cyberspace and government facilities. Budget cuts continue and compliance regulations mount while security threats and the costs of identity fraud increase. HP can help.
HP’s Assured Identity is a highly scalable enterprise class solution that provides a comprehensive approach to the critical identity, credentialing and access management challenges facing its public sector clients. We bring deep experience in implementing identity management solutions in U.S. public sector organizations. We can integrate Assured Identity with your existing identity management investments and amplify the value of the services you provide to your constituents.
HP’s proven Assured Identity solution includes: Identity Management, Federation, Credential Management, Access Management and Audit and Reporting. It joins processes and technologies to assure identities—effectively and efficiently.
With HP Assured Identity, you can:
- Improve citizen services, satisfaction levels and government responsiveness
- Reduce costs associated with identity fraud and management of resources
- Better protect against threats and unauthorized user access to applications, data and facilities
- Improve efficiency of government business processes and enable sharing of resources
- Maximize the use of resources in support of national security
- Comply with HSPD-12, OMB M-11-11, FICAM Roadmap requirements
- More easily meet regulations such as HIPAA
HP offers a comprehensive suite of services that enable clients to protect sensitive network resources. These network security services deliver secure solutions—from design and deployment to monitoring and maintenance—to provide:
- Proactive threat detection
- Superior security analysis
- Prioritized network operations responses
- Data security
- Regulatory security compliance
Our secure network services include Network Security Assessments, Network Security Services, and Managed Network Security Services.
HP has proven experience in developing and implementing network security solutions that help government agencies meet the challenges of the 21st century as we:
- Collect, store and process 3.5 billion events daily - writing and storing over 24.7 terabytes of event data monthly
- Secure more than 1 million applications & 2.6 billion lines of code for clients
- Support more than 3.8 million smartcards, 1.3 million tokens, 13 certificate authorities, 59 million usernames & passwords
- Detect and quarantine 45 million malware annually
HP provides a set of security risk management and compliance services to:
- Identify vulnerabilities and threats
- Quantify and manage risk in line with mission objectives
- Define appropriate security controls and governance
- Support compliance requirements
- Train personnel in security awareness
- Reduce complexity
- Minimize costs
Our risk management and compliance services:
- Allow for prioritization of security investments based on identified risks and an organization's risk tolerance
- Provide a basis for reducing complexity and cutting costs through integration of controls and elimination of redundant controls
- Provide a means to redirect security and compliance investments from over-investment areas to under-investment areas
- Ensure compliance to mandates including Sarbanes-Oxley, PCI DSS, HIPAA, Basel II, EU DPD, FISMA, and frameworks/standards such as ISO 27001/27002, CoBIT, and NIST
- Maintain and improve risk management in the face of IT, personnel, and business process changes
HP Security Operations services help minimize government agency security vulnerabilities resulting from:
- Super-user accounts
- Password settings
- Missing security patches
- Incorrect security configurations
- Other potential security operations vulnerabilities
Our security operations services add value to government agencies by:
- Proactively avoiding security incidents
- Consolidating the monitoring, logging, correlation, mitigation, reporting, and handling of security events
- Providing a unified means of viewing and handling security
- Managing complexity of the millions of security events occurring daily
- Correlating events to determine issues of significance and root cause
- Handling significant security events through a process of escalation, triage, technical assistance, and executive notification
- Providing an archive of security events that is required for compliance and forensics
HP has more than 40 years of experience in delivering managed security services and more than 20 years of delivering IT security operations consulting.
For information on HP’s Cybersecurity Solutions for U.S. Public Sector:
Public Sector Horizontal Solutions