HP Mobile Workstations
Workstation power. Notebook mobility.
HP Elitebook 8470w Mobile Workstation
HP's most travel-friendly mobile workstation features ISV-certified, workstation-caliber graphics and powerful processing along with a business rugged design that's optimized around a 14" diagonal HD1 display.Shop now
Weighs less than 5 lbs.
of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory4
Intel® Xeon® processors and Intel® Core™ i7 processors
Chiseled design. Business-rugged performance
Weighing in at just under 5 lbs, the lightweight HP EliteBook 8470w delivers up to 5.75 hrs2 of battery life right out of the box. And inspired by aerospace craftsmanship and materials, it features a strengthened glass touchpad and enhanced HP DuraCase for durability on the go.
- View full HP 8470w Mobile Workstation specs Hide full specs View full HP 8470w Mobile Workstation specs
Form Factor Mobile Operating System
- Windows 8 Pro 648
- Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)9
- Windows 8 648
- Windows 7 Professional 3210
- Windows 7 Professional 6410,11
- Windows 7 Home Premium 6410,11
- Windows 7 Enterprise10
- Windows 7 Ultimate10
- Windows XP Professional
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x
Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i712 with Turbo Boost Technology;13 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i512 with Turbo Boost Technology13 Chipset Mobile Intel® QM77 Express (vPro™ support14) Memory16 DDR3 SDRAM, 1600 MHz, two slots supporting dual-channel memory, 2/4/8 GB SODIMMs, up to 16 GB total15 Internal Storage16 180 GB SSD Intel SATA3 CV, 320/500/750 GB 7200 rpm SMART SATA II HDD, 500 GB 7200 rpm SED (Self Encrypting Drive) HDD, 128/180 GB SATA 6 GB/s SSD, or 256 GB SATA 6 GB/s SED SSD, HP 3D DriveGuard17 Flash Cache Optional 24 GB mSATA Flash cache module;7,18 Support Intel Smart Response Technology Upgrade Bay 12.7 mm SATA optical drive or secondary hard drive: Blu-ray R/RE DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive,7,19 Blu-ray ROM DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive,7,19 DVD+/–RW SuperMulti DL Drive,7,19 DVD-ROM Drive,7 500 GB 7200 rpm secondary HDD;7,16 or weight saver Display 14.0" diagonal LED-backlit HD3 anti-glare (1366 x 768), 14.0" diagonal LED-backlit HD+3 anti-glare (1600 x 900) Graphics AMD FirePro™ M2000 with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory; AMD Eyefinity Technology for advanced multi-monitor support1 Audio/Visual High Definition Audio (SRS Premium Sound Pro), stereo speakers, stereo headphone/line out, stereo microphone in, optional HD3 Webcam,7 integrated dual-microphone array Wireless Support6,7,20,21 Optional HP lt2522 LTE/EV-DO Mobile Broadband Module – U.S. only20 (no Win 8 support), Optional HP lt2523 LTE/HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module – U.S. only20 (no Win 8 support), Optional HP hs2350 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband;7,20 Optional HP un2430 EV-DO/HSPA Mobile Broadband;7,20 Intel® Centrino 802.11a/b/g/n 3x3;21 Intel® Centrino 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2;21 Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2;21 HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® v4.0; HP Connection Manager Communications Integrated Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (vPro™ support11); 56K v.92 modem7 Ports and Connectors 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 USB 2.0 charging port, eSATA/USB 2.0 combo, VGA, DisplayPort, stereo microphone in, stereo headphone/line out, 1394a, power connector, RJ-11(optional modem), RJ-45(Ethernet), docking connector, secondary battery connector Expansion Slots 1 ExpressCard/54, 1 Secure Digital Input Devices Full-sized spill-resistant keyboard with bottom case drain, touchpad with scroll and gestures support, point stick, launch buttons (Web browser, WLAN on/off, mute) Software(Windows OS only) HP Remote Graphics Software (pre-load), HP Power Assistant,22 HP Recovery Manager, HP Support Assistant, Corel WinDVD (select model), Roxio Secure Burn23 (select models), Roxio MyDVD Business 2010 (select models), Adobe® Flash Player, PDF Complete Corporate Edition, WinZip Basic, HP Performance Advisor, HP GPS and Location24 (select models), Microsoft Office 2010 60 days trial (Windows 8); Microsoft Office Starter (Windows 7 only).25 Custom Integration Services provides tailor-made, turnkey solutions for Business Ready PCs. Security Standard: Microsoft Security Essentials, HP ProtectTools,17 Central Management for HP ProtectTools,26 TPM Embedded Security Chip 1.2, HP Fingerprint Sensor, Pre-Boot Security, HP SpareKey,27 HP Disk Sanitizer,28 Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools, Credential Manager for HP ProtectTools, Face Recognition for HP ProtectTools,29 File Sanitizer for HP ProtectTools,28 Smart Card Reader, Intel® AT (requires a Computrace subscription)(select Models),30 Device Access Manager with Just in Time Authentication or One Time Password7 (DigitalPass), Secure Erase, DriveLock, Automatic DriveLock, Password Manager for HP ProtectTools, Privacy Manager for HP ProtectTools, security lock slot Optional: Computrace,7,31 HP Privacy Filter7 Dimensions (w x d x h) 13.31 x 9.11 x 1.25 in (at front); 33.8 x 23.1 x 3.2 cm (at front) Weight Starting at 4.96 lb (2.25 kg) with SSD and weight saver; 5.27 lb (2.39 kg) with SSD and optical drive (weight will vary by configuration) Power 9-cell (100 WHr) Lithium-Ion battery,32 6-cell (62 WHr) Lithium-Ion battery,32 6-cell (55 WHr) HP Long Life Battery (3-year),32 optional HP ST09 Extended Life Notebook Battery (73 WHr),7,32 optional HP BB09 Ultra Extended Life Notebook Battery (100 WHr),7,32 90W HP Smart AC Adapter, HP Fast Charge33 Expansion Solutions7 HP 90W Docking Station, HP 120W Advanced Docking Station, HP 230W Docking Station, HP USB Docking Station 2.0, HP Essential USB 2.0 Port Replicator, HP Dual Hinge Notebook Stand, HP Display & Notebook Stand, HP Adjustable Display Stand, HP Adjustable Dual Display Stand Warranty Limited 3-year, 1-year and 90-day warranty options available, depending on country, 1-year limited warranty on primary battery. Optional HP Care Pack Services7 are extended service contracts which go beyond your standard warranties.34 For more details, visit hp.com/go/lookuptool.
Speed up the process
Whether you’re creating or consuming content, gain the power to quickly edit, transfer and share while staying untethered and energy efficient for longer. The HP EliteBook 8470w, built with the new 3rd generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processor,3,4 is specifically designed for business and offers exciting performance features like Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.05 and Smart Response Technology.12 With the new Smart Response Technology, you can save time by quickly accessing your favorite files and gain fast response times for things like system boot and application startup.
Optimized workstation-class graphics
Maximize performance on the 14” diagonal HD1 display with the new AMD FirePro™ M2000 workstation-caliber graphics with 1 GB GDDR5 memory. The HP EliteBook 8470w, featuring AMD Eyefinity Technology, 6 can simultaneously support up to five displays, including the native display, to make multi-tasking even easier. Experience seamless integration between hardware and software with full Open GL and DirectX 117 graphics support from Microsoft®.
AMD FirePro™ professional graphics are compliant with the latest industry standards enabling you to take full advantage of their rich features. AMD professional graphics are especially tuned to enable outstanding performance for many major CAD and digital media applications. AMD Eyefinity Technology increases productivity and simplifies visualization solutions by expanding your visual real estate.
** Windows 7 systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details.
Screen images courtesy of Autodesk, Local Motors, Inc., Phoenix Analysis & Design Technologies, Inc., and Seismic Micro Technology, Inc. (SMT).
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The Information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting and additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Intel, the Intel logo, Intel Core, Core Inside, and Ultrabook are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries.
- HD content required to view HD images.
- Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See MobileMark07 battery benchmark www.bapco.com/products/mobilemark2007 for additional details.
- Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers, and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- Intel® Active Management Technology requires an Intel® AMT-enabled chipset, network hardware and software, as well as a corporate network connection. Setup requires configuration by the purchaser and may require scripting with the management console or further integration into existing security frameworks to enable certain functionality. It may also require modifications or implementation of new business processes. Microsoft Windows required.
- Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 technology requires a PC with a processor with Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 capability. Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 performance varies depending on hardware, software and overall system configuration. See www.intel.com/technology/turboboost for more information.
- Requires AMD discrete graphics configuration. HP EliteBook 8470w supports up to five total displays when using with the HP Advanced docking station. The advanced docking station is sold separately.
- Windows 7 will support older DirectX 9 adapters using a WDDM v1.0 (Vista) driver. DirectX 10 requires a WDDM v1.1 (Windows 7) compliant driver.
- GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 15GB (for Windows 7) of system disk is reserved for system recovery software.
- Power calculations and cost calculations are estimates. Results will vary based on variables, which include information provided by the user, time PC is in different power states (on, standby, hibernate, off), time PC is on battery or AC, hardware configuration, variable electricity rates and utilities provider. HP advises customers to use information reported by HP Power Assistant for reference only and to validate impact in their environment. Environmental calculations were based on U.S. EPA eGrid 2007 data found at www.epa.gov/egrid/. Regional results will vary. Microsoft Windows required.
- HP Care Pack Services are extended service contracts that go beyond the standard warranties. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. To choose the right level of service for your HP product, use the HP Care Pack Services Lookup Tool at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool. Additional HP Care Pack Services information by product is available at www.hp.com/go/carepack. Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location.
- This system may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware to take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 7. See www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details.
- Not available with SSD or Self-Encrypting Drive or WirelessWAN Broadband module.
- Some functionality of this technology, such as Intel® Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Availability of future "virtual appliances" applications for Intel vPro technology is dependent on 3rd party software providers. Microsoft Windows required.
- Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
- For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 20 GB (Windows 7) of system disk is reserved for the system recovery software.
- Requires Microsoft Windows.
- Sold separately or as an optional feature.
- Microsoft Windows and webcam required.
- Wireless use requires separately purchased service contract. Check with your local vendor for coverage area and availability in your area. Connection and speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors.
- Wireless access point and Internet service required. Availability of public wireless access points limited.
- GPS access requires an unobstructed path to multiple satellites. Performance may be affected if/when used inside of buildings, bridges or heavily congested metropolitan areas. Requires separately purchased GPS navigation software available from multiple GPS applications. Internet access required.
- Includes reduced functionality versions of Word and Excel. Purchase of Product Key required to activate full Office 2010 suite available at participating resellers/retailers and www.office.com.
- Do not copy copyright-protected materials.
- For the use cases outlined in the DOD 5220.22-M Supplement.
- The Computrace agent is shipped turned off, and must be activated by customers when they purchase a subscription. Subscriptions can be purchased for terms ranging multiple years. Service is limited, check with Absolute for availability outside the U.S.
- Fast Charge Technology recharges your battery up to 90% within 90 minutes when the system is off. Fast Charge Technology does not apply to the HP Ultra Extended Life or 9-cell batteries. When the PC is powered on, charge time may increase and will vary based on the workload of the notebook PC.
- Blu-ray is a new format containing new technologies, certain disc, digital connection, compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require an HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HD DVD disks cannot be played on this drive. Note that DVD-ROM cannot read or write to 2.6GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided – Version 1.0 media. Actual speeds may vary. Don’t copy copyright-protected materials. Double Layer discs can store more data than single layer discs; discs burned with this drive may not be compatible with many existing single-layer DVD drives and players.
- Intel® AT security requires a separately purchased Absolute Computrace service subscription and must be activated and configured. Check with Absolute for availability in your country. Intel and HP assume no liability for lost or stolen data and/or systems or any other damages resulting therefrom. See www.absolute.com/en/partners/alliances/intel.
- In order to deploy and receive updated policies, the client needs to be connected to the network server and requires separatedly purchased DigitalPersona Pro software. System access may not prevent users from logging into the system on the first attempt if policy updates haven’t yet been received and applied. Requires Microsoft Windows.