HP Mobile Workstations
Power to perform
HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation
HP's most powerful mobile workstation offers the highest-performing professional graphics, extreme processing power, a 17.3" diagonal display and a chiseled design that radiates performance.Learn more
passes 7 military tests for durability25
of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory4
Intel® Xeon® processors and Intel® Core™ i7 processors
Built for business
Make no compromises on performance or durability with the HP EliteBook 8770w. Offering up to 4.75hrs2 battery life with a standard 8-cell lithium-ion battery, this top-of-the-line professional mobile workstation is our most powerful yet. Inspired by aerospace craftsmanship and materials, the HP EliteBook 8770w features a wear and smudge-resistant DuraFinish and an optional backlit keyboard for use in low-light environments.
- View full HP 8770w Mobile Workstation specs Hide full specs View full HP 8770w Mobile Workstation specs
Form Factor Mobile Operating System
- Windows 8 Pro 6412
- Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)13
- Windows 7 Professional 3214
- Windows 7 Professional 6414,15
- Windows 7 Home Premium 6414,15 (select countries)
- Windows XP Professional 3214
- Windows XP Professional 6414,15
- Windows 7 Enterprise 3214
- Windows 7 Enterprise 6414,15
- Windows 7 Ultimate 3214
- Windows 7 Ultimate 6414,15
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Quad-Core1 with Turbo Boost Technology;16 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 and i5 Dual-Core1 with Turbo Boost Technology16 Chipset Mobile Intel® QM77 Express Chipset(vPro™ support17) Memory16 DDR3 SDRAM, 1600 MHz, dual-core processors support 2 memory slots and quad-core processors support 4 memory slots, 2/4/8 GB18 SODIMMs, up to 32 GB total2 Internal Storage19 Primary Storage: 320/500/750 GB 7200 rpm SMART SATA II HDD, 500 GB 7200 rpm SED (Self Encrypting Drive), or SATA 6 Gb/s, 128/180 GB SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 GB SED SSD 2nd Primary Storage: 320/500/750 GB 7200 rpm SMART SATA II HDD, 500 GB 7200 rpm SED (Self Encrypting Drive), or SATA 6 Gb/s, 128/180 GB SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 GB SED SSD, RAID 0, 1, 5 support;20 HP 3D DriveGuard21 Flash Cache Optional Intel® 24 GB SLC mSATA cache module support Intel Smart Response Technology (available with non-SED HDD only)3 Upgrade Bay 12.7 mm SATA optical drive or hard drive: Blu-ray R/RE DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive,3,22 Blu-ray ROM DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive,3,22 DVD+/–RW SuperMulti DL Drive,3,22 DVD-ROM Drive,3 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD;3,19 or Weight saver Display 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit WVA anti-glare, HD+4 (1600 x 900); 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit WVA anti-glare, FHD4 (1920 x 1080); 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit UWVA, anti-glare, FHD4 DreamColor (1920 x 1080)23 Graphics AMD FirePro™ M4000 with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory; (AMD Eyefinity Technology for advanced multi-monitor support),24NVIDIA Quadro K3000M, with 2 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory, NVIDIA Quadro K4000M, with 4 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory, NVIDIA Quadro K5000M, with 4 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory. NVIDIA Quadro mobile professional graphics support multiple monitors24 Audio/Visual High Definition Audio (SRS Premier Sound PRO), integrated stereo speakers, stereo headphone/line out, stereo microphone in, optional 720p HD4 Webcam,3 integrated dual-microphone array Wireless Support3,8,9,10 Optional HP hs2350 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband;3 Optional HP un2430 EV-DO/HSPA Mobile Broadband3 Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2; Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6205 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2; Intel® Centrino Ultimate-N 6300, 802.11a/b/g/n 3x3; HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® v4.0 Wireless Technology; HP Connection Manager Communications Integrated Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (vPro™ support16), 56K v.92 modem3 Ports and Connectors 2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports (1 charging),1 eSATA/USB 2.0 combo port,1 VGA,1 DisplayPort 1.2, 1 stereo microphone in, 1 stereo headphone/line out, 1 1394a, 1 power connector, 1 RJ-11(optional modem3), 1 RJ-45(Ethernet), 1 docking connector, 1 secondary battery connector, security lock slot Expansion Slots 1 ExpressCard/54 slot, Secure Ditigal Media card slot – Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC; Integrated Smart Card Reader Input Devices Full-sized spill-resistant keyboard with numeric keypad, drains, backlit keyboard (optional, with two brightness settings), Image Sensor touchpad with scroll and gestures support; point stick, 4 discrete launch buttons ( WLAN on/off, mute, Web braowser, calculator) Software(Windows OS only) HP Remote Graphics Software (pre-load), HP Power Assistant,25 HP Recovery Manager, HP Support Assistant, Microsoft Office 2010 60 days trial (Windows 8); Microsoft Office Starter (Windows 7 only).26 Corel WinDVD (select models), Roxio Secure Burn27 (select models), Roxio MyDVD Business 2010 (select models), HP Performance Advisor Custom Integration Services provides tailor-made, turnkey solutions for Business Ready PCs. Security Standard: HP ProtectTools,21 TPM Embedded Security Chip 1.2, HP Fingerprint Sensor, Pre-Boot Security, HP SpareKey (requires initial user setup), HP Disk Sanitizer,28 Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools, Credential Manager for HP ProtectTools, Face Recognition for HP ProtectTools,29 File Sanitizer for HP ProtectTools,28 Smart Card Reader, Security lock slot Optional: Computrace,3,30 Central Management for HP ProtectTools3,31 Dimensions (w x d x h) 16.4 x 10.7 x 1.47 in (at front); 41.7 x 27.3 x 3.7 cm (at front) Weight Starting at 7.66 lb ( 3.47 kg) with SSD and weight saver (weight will vary by configuration) Power 8-cell (83 WHr) Lithium-Ion battery, 8-cell (75 WHr) HP Long Life Battery (3-year),32 optional HP ST09 Extended Life Notebook Battery (73 WHr), Optional HP BB09 Ultra Extended Life Notebook Battery (100 WHr), 200W HP Slim Smart AC Adapter, 230W HP Slim Smart AC Adapter, HP Fast Charge33 Expansion Solutions3 HP 230W Docking Station, HP 230W Advanced Docking Station, HP USB 2.0 Docking Station, HP Essential USB 2.0 Port Replicator, HP Dual Hinge Notebook Stand, HP Display & Notebook Stand, HP Adjustable Display Stand, HP Adjustable Dual Display Stand Warranty16 Limited 3-year and 1-year warranty options available, depending on country, 1-year limited warranty on primary battery. Optional HP Care Pack Services3,34 are extended service contracts which go beyond your standard warranties. For more details visit: hp.com/go/lookuptool.
Performance to meet your toughest demands
Benefit from incredible performance and responsiveness with the latest 3rd Generation Intel® quad core3 processors for the HP EliteBook 8770w. Run demanding applications with up to 32GB6 of RAM in four DIMM slots27 for improved performance speed. Benefit from system memory with up to three HDDs28, and get faster response times with the new Intel® Smart Response Technology30 for quick system boot and application startup.
Stand out with professional graphics
Maximize performance on the 17.3" diagonal HD11 display with the latest workstation-caliber graphics powered by AMD or NVIDIA. Featuring optimized visual computing, the HP EliteBook 8770w provides full Open GL and DirectX 1133 support, and provides outstanding color matching from vision to production with optional HP DreamColor Technology. And with multi-display technology, you can view enlarged content or do five things at once on up to five screens, including the native display.10
Offering true workstation-class application performance and robust OpenGL support, NVIDIA graphics are fully certified and optimized with industry-leading applications such as AutoDesk, Solidworks and Adobe® for enhanced performance and reliability. Take advantage of large GPU memory with fast bandwidth (up to 256-bit) for display of complex models and scenes, as well as computation of large datasets.
AMD FirePro™ professional graphics are compliant with the latest industry standards enabling you to take full advantage of their rich features. AMD professional graphics are especially tuned to enable outstanding performance for many major CAD and digital media applications. AMD Eyefinity Technology increases productivity and simplifies visualization solutions by expanding your visual real estate.
** Windows 7 systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. See www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details.
Screen images courtesy of Autodesk, Local Motors, Inc., Phoenix Analysis & Design Technologies, Inc., and Seismic Micro Technology, Inc. (SMT).
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The Information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting and additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Intel, the Intel logo, Intel Core, Core Inside, and Ultrabook are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries.
- This system may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware to take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 7. See www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details.
- Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers, and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Intel's numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- 64-bit computing on Intel architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See www.intel.com/info/em64t for more information. Quad Core is designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefit. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 technology requires a PC with a processor with Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 capability. Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 performance varies depending on hardware, software and overall system configuration. See www.intel.com/technology/turboboost or more information.
- Some functionality of Intel vPro, such as Intel Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Availability of future "virtual appliances" applications for vPro technologies is dependent on 3rd party software providers. Compatibility with future "virtual appliances", Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems is yet to be determined.
- Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
- For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 10 GB (for Vista) or 15 GB (for Windows 7) of system disk is reserved for the system recovery software.
- Microsoft Windows required.
- Sold separately or as an optional feature.
- AMD Eyefinity Technology supports up to 5 total displays and requires separately purchased HP Advance Docking Station. NVIDIA Quadro mobile professional graphics support up to 4 total displays and requires separately purchased HP Advance Docking Station.
- HD content required to view HD images.
- Wireless use requires separately purchased service contract. Check with your local vendor for coverage area and availability in your area. Connection and speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors. 4G compatibility with HSPA+ and LTE. 4G LTE is only available in the United States. LTE is expected to be available in June 2012.
- Wireless access point and Internet service required. Availability of public wireless access points limited.
- The Computrace agent is shipped turned off, and must be activated by customers when they purchase a subscription. Subscriptions can be purchased for terms ranging multiple years. Service is limited, check with Absolute for availability outside the U.S.
- Power calculations and cost calculations are estimates. Results will vary based on variables, which include information provided by the user, time PC is in different power states (on, standby, hibernate, off), time PC is on battery or AC, hardware configuration, variable electricity rates and utilities provider. HP advises customers to use information reported by HP Power Assistant for reference only and to validate impact in their environment. Environmental calculations were based on U.S. EPA eGrid 2007 data found at www.epa.gov/egrid/ Regional results will vary. Microsoft Windows required.
- Includes reduced functionality versions of Word and Excel. Purchase of Product Key required to activate full Office 2010 suite available at participating resellers/retailers and www.office.com.
- HP EliteBook 8770w with DreamColor panel cannot be configured with WWAN.
- Internet access required.
- For the use cases outlined in the DOD 5220.22-M Supplement.
- Do not copy copyright-protected materials.
- Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See MobileMark07 battery benchmark www.bapco.com/products/mobilemark2007 for additional details.
- MIL-STD-810G testing was not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contracts or for military use.
- Fast Charge Technology recharges your battery up to 90% within 90 minutes when the system is off. Fast Charge Technology does not apply to the HP Ultra-Capacity or 9-cell batteries. When the PC is powered on, charge time may increase and will vary based on the workload of the notebook PC.
- Blu-ray is a new format containing new technologies, certain disc, digital connection, compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require an HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HD DVD disks cannot be played on this drive. Note that DVD-ROM cannot read or write to 2.6GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided – Version 1.0 media. Actual speeds may vary. Don’t copy copyright-protected materials. Double Layer discs can store more data than single layer discs; discs burned with this drive may not be compatible with many existing single-layer DVD drives and players.
- Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location. Service starts on date of hardware purchase. Restrictions and limitations apply. For details, visit www.hp.com/go/lookuptool.
- Microsoft Windows and webcam required.
- Four SODIMMS for a total of 32 GB of memory is available on quad-core systems only.
- Raid 5 requires 3 hard disk drives in primary storage, second primary storage and upgrade bay.
- HP offers discrete graphics configurations supporting up to five total displays through the advanced docking station. The advanced docking station is sold separately. AMD graphics supports five total displays, including the native notebook display. NVIDIA graphics supports up to four total displays, including the native notebook display.
- Intel Smart Response Technology requires the optional flash cache module and is only available with non-SED HDD configurations.
- Video conferencing is available on configurations with the optional 720p HD webcam.
- In order to deploy policies the client needs to be connected to the network. Requires connectivity to the DigitalPersona server to receive updated policies. System access may not prevent users from logging into the system on the first attempt if policy updates haven’t yet been received and applied. This functionality blocks network access from the user’s PC.
- Windows 7 will support older DirectX 9 adapters using a WDDM v1.0 (Vista) driver. DirectX 10 requires a WDDM v1.1 (Windows 7) compliant driver.