HP Desktop workstations
Ultimate performance for ultimate projects
HP Z820 Workstation
Built for high-end computing and visualization. The dual-processor HP Z820 Workstation delivers outstanding performance, award-winning industrial design, and tool-free serviceability in the industry's most expandable chassis. With next-generation Intel® Xeon® processors, support for up to 16 processing cores, and the latest professional graphics, you'll tackle even the most demanding projects like never before.Learn more
of high-performance storage7
of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory5
Intel® Xeon® E5 processors
HP Z820 Workstation
Unmatched design. Inside and out.
With its expandable design, the HP Z820 Workstation gives you the confidence to produce your best work. Designed for a wide-range of needs, the HP Z820 offers enhanced tool-free access and unbelievable power at whisper-quiet levels. The result is unparalleled design power in a system that is sleek and uncluttered—inside and out.
- View full Z820 specs Hide full specs View full Z820 specs
Form Factor Rackable minitower Available Operating Systems
- Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
- Windows 8 Pro Downgrade to Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
- Windows 8 Pro Downgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Windows 7 Professional 32-bit*
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit*
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit*
- HP Linux Installer Kit
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (90 day license)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop/Workstation (1 year paper license; no preinstalled OS)
- Processor GHz Cache Memory Cores Hyper-Threading Intel® vPro™ Technology Intel® Turbo Boost Technology5
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W 3.1 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 3, 7
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 2.9 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 4, 9
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2680 2.7 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 4, 8
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2670 2.6 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 4, 7
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 2.9 15 MB 1600 MHz 6 Y Y 3, 6
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2665 2.4 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 4, 7
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2660 2.2 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 5, 8
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650 2.0 20 MB 1600 MHz 8 Y Y 4, 8
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2643 3.3 10 MB 1600 MHz 4 Y Y 1, 2
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640 2.5 15 MB 1333 MHz 6 Y Y 3, 5
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630 2.3 15 MB 1333 MHz 6 Y Y 3, 5
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2620 2.0 15 MB 1333 MHz 6 Y Y 3, 5
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2609 2.4 10 MB 1066 MHz 4 N Y N/A
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2603 1.8 10 MB 1066 MHz 4 N Y N/A
Chipset Intel® C602 Chipset Memory7, 8 16 DIMM slots, up to 512 GB, 8-channel ECC DDR3, up to 1600 MHz, 4 channels per CPU Drive Controllers Integrated 2-channel SATA 6 Gb/s controller, RAID 0, 1 capable; Integrated 4-channel SATA 3 Gb/s controller, RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 capable; Integrated 8-channel SAS 6 Gb/s controller, RAID 0, 1, 10 capable; Optional LSI 9260-8i 8-port 6 Gb/s SAS HW RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 capable Storage10, 11 Up to (5) 3.5-inch 7200 rpm SATA drives: 250, 500 GB, 1, 2, 3 TB, 15 TB max; Up to (5) 2.5-inch 10K rpm SATA drives: 300 GB SFF, 1.5 TB max; Up to (6) 2.5-inch 10K rpm SATA drives: 250, 500, 1000 GB SFF, 6 TB max; Up to (6) 2.5-inch 10K rpm SAS drives: 300, 600 GB SFF, 3.6 TB max; Up to (5) 3.5-inch 15K rpm SAS drives: 300, 450, 600 GB, 3 TB max; Up to (6) 2.5-inch SATA solid state drives: 128, 160, 256, 300, 512 GB, 3 TB max; Up to (1) 2.5-inch SATA solid state SED drives: 256 GB, 256 GB max; Up to (1) 3.5-inch SATA SED hard drive: 500 GB, 500 GB max Optical Storage DVD-ROM, DVD+/-RW Super-Multi and Slot-Load, Blu-ray Writer Drive Bays 3 external 5.25-inch bays, 4 internal 3.5-inch bays Expansion Slots 2 PCI Express Gen3 x16; 1 PCI Express Gen3 x16 (Available only with 2nd CPU);
1 PCI Express Gen3 x16 mechanical/x8 electrical; 1 PCI Express Gen3 x8 mechanical/x4 electrical; 1 PCI Express Gen2 x8 mechanical/x4 electrical; 1 Legacy PCII
- Professional 2D: NVIDIA NVS 300, NVIDIA NVS 310, NVIDIA NVS 450, NVIDIA NVS 510
- Entry 3D: NVIDIA Quadro 410, NVIDIA Quadro 600, NVIDIA Quadro K600, AMD FirePro™ V3900
- Mid-range 3D: NVIDIA Quadro 2000, NVIDIA Quadro K2000
- High-end 3D: NVIDIA Quadro 4000, NVIDIA Quadro K4000, AMD FirePro™ V7900, AMD FirePro™ W7000, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, NVIDIA Quadro K5000,
NVIDIA Quadro 6000, NVIDIA Tesla C207510, NVIDIA Tesla K20
Audio Integrated Intel/Realtek HD ALC262 Audio, optional HP Thin USB Powered Speakers Network13, 14 Dual integrated Intel GbE LAN; Infineon TPM 1.2 Controller; Optional Broadcom NIC; Optional Intel NIC Ports
- Front: 2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394a standard, 1 microphone in, 1 headphone out, HP 22-in-1 Media Card Reader (optional)
- Rear: 2 USB 3.0, 4 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394a, 1 audio in, 1 audio out, 1 microphone in, 2 PS/2, 2 RJ-45 to integrated Gigabit LAN, 1 serial
- Internal: 6 USB 2.0 ports available by three 2x5 headers
Input Devices HP PS/2 standard keyboard, HP USB standard keyboard, HP USB Smart Card Keyboard, HP PS/2 optical scroll mouse, HP USB 2-button optical scroll mouse, HP USB 3-button optical mouse, USB SpaceExplorer, USB SpacePilot, USB Laser Mouse Dimensions (H x W x D) 17.5 x 8.0 x 20.7 in (44.4 x 20.3 x 52.5 cm) Power Supply 850W 88% Efficient wide-ranging, active Power Factor Correction or 1125W 90% Efficient wide-ranging, active Power Factor Correction Compatible Displays (screen size diagonally measured) HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional Display (24-inch diagonal widescreen), HP ZR30w 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor, HP ZR2740w 27-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor, HP ZR2440w 24-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor, HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor, HP ZR2240w 21.5-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor, HP ZR2040w 20-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor Warranty16 Limited three-year Mon-Fri 8-5 next business day, parts, labor and 24x7 phone support, terms and conditions may vary.
Multitasking made easy
The HP Z820 Workstation employs a variety of Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 processors that enable next-generation PCI Express technology. With support for two processors, the HP Z820 can operate with up to 16 processing cores, delivering ultimate performance to help you accomplish more every minute. Featuring the C600 series chipset, LSI SAS 2308 controller, and dual Quick Path Interconnects between the processors, the two work together to help you work more effectively than ever before.
Ultra-powerful visuals and high-performance computing
Built to support next generation PCIe Gen3 graphics from AMD and NVIDIA,® the HP Z820 Workstation currently offers a wide range of cards from Pro 2D to ultra high-end 3D graphics to get the job done. With dual graphics processor support, the HP Z820 can drive up to eight displays, giving you the power and space you need to multitask like a pro. Plus, get the highest performing GPU computing solutions available in the Z family, like NVIDIA's Maximus, on the HP Z820.
Get the power to realize your vision with the new family of NVIDIA® Quadro® K-series professional graphics featuring NVIDIA’s most powerful GPU architecture ever—NVIDIA® Kepler.™ Whether you're creating revolutionary products or telling spectacularly vivid visual stories, Quadro® helps you do it better and faster. Offering support for up to eight displays and robust OpenGL support, NVIDIA® graphics are fully certified and optimized with industry-leading applications from AutoDesk, Solidworks, Adobe,® and many others for enhanced performance and reliability. The HP Z820 offers the widest assortment of NVIDIA® graphic solutions of any of our Z workstation family lineup. And for your truly intensive GPU computing needs, the HP Z820 supports dual NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 cards as part of NVIDIA’s Maximus solution to deliver incredible productivity right to your desktop.
Boost productivity with the serious power and performance of AMD FirePro™ professional graphics cards for the HP Z820 Workstation. Featuring extensive application certifications, support for up to eight independent displays, and HP qualified professional graphics drivers with full OpenGL and DirectX support, AMD FirePro™ cards are specifically built for outstanding performance. To maximize graphics performance, the HP Z820 is ready to support the next-generation PCIe Gen3 graphics cards from AMD when they become available.
Screen images courtesy of ANSYS, Autodesk, Bandito Brothers, Phoenix Analysis & Design Technologies, Inc., SMT (Seismic Micro Technology, Inc.), and Spracher Engineering. Intel, the Intel logo, Intel Core, Core Inside, and Ultrabook are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies. FireWire is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. ENERGY STAR is a US registered mark of the United States Environmental Protection Agency. AMD is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The Information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting and additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
- This product is low halogen except for power cords, cables, and peripherals, as well as the following customer-configurable internal components: 3 ½" SAS HDDs, LSI 9260-8i SAS 6Gb/s ROC RAID Card, Creative Recon3D PCIe Audio Card, Liquid Cooling Solution, and Broadcom 5761 Gigabit PCIe NIC are not Low Halogen. Service parts obtained after purchase may not be Low Halogen.
- Limited three-year, Mon-Fri 8-5 next business day, parts, labor and 24x7 phone support, terms and conditions may vary standard on Z1. HP Care Pack Services extend service contracts beyond the standard warranties. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. To choose the right level of service for your HP product, use the HP Care Pack Services Lookup Tool at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool. Additional HP Care Pack Services information by product is available at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool. Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location.
- Dual-, quad-, and six-core technologies are designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefits; check with software provider to determine suitability; Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of these technologies.
- Intel's numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- All specifications represent the typical specifications provided by HP's component manufacturers; actual performance may vary either higher or lower.
- Dual-, Quad- and Eight-Core technologies are designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefits; Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of these technologies.
- 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See www.intel.com/info/em64t for more information.
- Intel's numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- Z620 systems configured with E5-1600 series processors may not add a 2nd processor. To support two processors, E5-2600 series processor must be chosen.
- Each processor supports up to 4 channels of DDR3 memory. To realize full performance at least 1 DIMM must be inserted into each channel.
- SATA hardware RAID is not supported on Linux systems. The Linux kernel, with built-in software RAID, provides excellent functionality and performance. It is a good alternative to hardware-based RAID. Please visit http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00060684/c00060684.pdf for RAID capabilities with Linux.
- For hard drives, 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less.
- Actual speeds may vary. Does not permit copying of commercially available DVD movies or other copyright protected materials. Intended for creation and storage of your original material and other lawful uses. Note that DVD-RAM cannot read or write to 2.6 GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided – Version 1.0 media.
- As Blu-ray is a new format containing new technologies, certain disc, digital connection, compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require a DVI or HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HD DVD movies cannot be played on this workstation.
- AMD graphics are not supported when there is greater than 32 GB of system memory present.
- HP Care Pack Services extend service contracts beyond the standard warranties. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. To choose the right level of service for your HP product, use the HP Care Pack Services Lookup Tool at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool Additional HP Care Pack Services information by product is available at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool. Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location.