- For Home
- For Business
- For Home
- For Business
- Do more with your workday. Set up anywhere in the office using built-in wireless networking12 and share printing resources on a network3. Print on the go with mobile printing options3. Use business apps to access and print from the web45.
Stay productive and boost business with wireless networking and impressive mobility.
- Set up and share anywhere in the office with wireless connectivity2,3. Configure networking fast1,6.
- Print from virtually anywhere with HP ePrint3,7. Print wirelessly from your iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch® with AirPrint™8.
- Boost productivity with fast print speeds.5 Reload paper less often with up to 300-sheet paper capacity.
Experience web-connected ease of use.
- Use business apps and the 8.89 cm (3.5-inch) colour touchscreen to access and print from the web4,5, e.g. with Google Docs ©2012 Google.
- Manage workflow with intuitive features right on the printer. A convenient USB port enables printing directly from a flash drive4.
- Easily control your print environment and save IT time and costs – HP Web Jetadmin helps you monitor equipment and increase uptime.
Enjoy professional-quality output for a great value.
- Produce professional-quality business documents with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
- Get peace of mind with trusted HP LaserJet reliability and consistent print quality from the first to the last page.
- Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save money with optional high-capacity cartridges designed for frequent printing13.
- Do more with a 300-sheet paper capacity (800-sheets total with optional 500-sheet tray).
Reduce your environmental impact.
- Save energy with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology which turns your printer on when you need it and off when you don’t14.
- Reduce paper use by up to 50% with automatic two-sided printing.
- Easily recycle Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges through HP Planet Partners15.
- Reduce packaging waste: Original HP toner cartridge HP 80A ships in the printer.
- Print speed black:
Normal: Up to 33 ppm
(Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.)
- First page out (ready)
Black: As fast as 8 sec
(Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver and document complexity.)
- Print quality black (best):
- Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Duty cycle (monthly, A4)
Up to 50,000 pages
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups.)
- Recommended monthly page volume
750 to 3000 pages
(HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.)
- Print technology:
- Processor speed:
- 800 MHz
- Print languages:
- HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- 8.89 cm touchscreen control panel, CGD (Colour Graphic Display)
- HP ePrint capability:
- Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™, Mopria-certified, business applications
- Wireless capability:
- Connectivity, standard:
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- 1 Host USB
- 1 Ethernet 10/100/1000T network
- 1 Walk-up USB
- Network ready:
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
- Minimum system requirements
- Windows 8, Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port
- Windows XP (32-bit) SP2: Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port
- Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7
- PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor
- 500 MB hard disk
- CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet
- USB or Network
- Compatible operating systems
Full software installs supported on: Windows 8, Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit) (SP2 or higher)
Driver only installs supported on: Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) (SP3 or higher)
Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7
Linpus Linux (9.4, 9.5), Red Hat Enterprise Linux (5.0, 6.0), OpenSUSE Linux (11.3, 11.4), Fedora (14, 15), Ubuntu (10.04, 10.10, 11.04), Debian (5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i)
- Memory, standard:
- 256 MB
- Maximum memory
- 256 MB
- Hard disk:
- Paper handling input, standard:
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray
- 250-sheet input tray
- automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
- Paper handling input, optional
- Optional 500-sheet tray
- Paper handling output, standard:
- 150-sheet output bin
- Maximum output capacity (sheets):
- Up to 150 sheets
- Duplex printing:
- Automatic (standard)
- Media sizes supported:
- A4; A5; A6; B5 (JIS)
- Media sizes, custom:
- Multipurpose tray: 76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mm; tray 2 and optional 500-sheet tray: 105 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm
- Media types:
- Paper (plain, Green mode, light, heavy, bond, colour, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; transparencies, cardstock
- Supported media weight:
- Tray 1: 60 to 163 g/m² (straight through paper path for special media); tray 2, optional 500-sheet tray 3: 60 to 120 g/m²
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- Input voltage: 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
- Power consumption
570 watts (printing), 7.3 watts (ready), 1.68 watts (sleep), 0.1 watts (off). Typical Electricity Consumption (TEC): 1.394 kWh/Week
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.)
- Energy efficiency:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- Operating temperature range:
- 15 to 32.5ºC
- Operating humidity range:
- 30 to 70% RH
- Acoustic pressure emissions bystander (active, printing)
- 51 dB(A)
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
- 364.6 x 368 x 271 mm, touchscreen down (364.6 x 368 x 383.6 mm, touchscreen upraised at 90°)
- Maximum dimensions (W x D x H)
364.6 x 633.4 x 383.6 mm (multipurpose tray and fold-up cover extended, tray 2 extended to legal-size, touchscreen upraised at 90°)
(*Optional HP LaserJet 500-sheet Feeder/Tray CF284A increases height of printer by 140 mm)
- 11 kg
- Package dimensions (W x D x H):
- 430 x 330 x 480 mm
- Package weight:
- 14.2 kg
- What's in the box
HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn printer
built-in automatic two-sided printing
Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-TX network
HP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages)
Installation guide, Getting Started guide, Support flyer, Warranty guide
Printer documentation and software on CD-ROM
- Cable included:
- No, please purchase USB cable separately
- Replacement cartridges
- HP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages), CF280A
- HP 80X Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~6900 pages), CF280X
(Average CF280A black cartridge yields 2700 standard pages and average CF280X black cartridge yields 6900 standard pages. Declared yield value in accordance with ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yields vary considerably based on images printed and other factors. For more information, visit http://www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies)
(Declared yield value in accordance with ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yields vary considerably based on images printed and other factors. For more information, visit http://www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies)
- One-year warranty. Warranty and support options vary by product, country and local legal requirements.
• Save energy – HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology turns your printer on when you need it and off when you don't.
• Save paper by up to 50%, using automatic two-sided printing.
• Free, convenient cartridge recycling in more than 50 countries.
 HP Auto-On/Auto-Off capabilities subject to printer and settings.
 Programme availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners programme. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit www.hp.com/recycle.
• Please recycle your computing hardware and printing supplies. HP asset management and recycling services make responsible disposal easy.
- Quick links
Rate & Review HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401dn
( average / RATINGS / RECOMMENDS)
Your review has been submitted. Please note that your review may need to be reviewed and may not post immediately Sorry, your review can't be submitted. Please, try again later. rate & write a review
* Excluding local taxes and custom duties as applicable in country.
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.