- Do more with your workday. Set up anywhere in the office using built-in wireless networking12 and share printing resources on a network3. Print on the go with mobile printing options3. Use business apps to access and print from the web45.
- Feature-packed and easy to use, this fast and reliable HP LaserJet helps you meet all your professional printing needs – including printing from mobile devices plus optional touchscreen access to business apps – while reducing environmental impact.
Stay productive and boost business with wireless networking and impressive mobility.
- Set up and share anywhere in the office with wireless connectivity2,3. Configure networking fast1,6.
- Print from virtually anywhere with HP ePrint3,7. Print wirelessly from your iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch® with AirPrint™8.
- Send files from a mobile device directly to your printer using HP wireless direct printing1,9.
- Save paper with automatic two-sided printing10. Get fast print speeds up to 33 ppm A4 and a first page out in less than 8 seconds11.
Experience web-connected ease of use.
- Use business apps and the 8.89 cm (3.5-inch) colour touchscreen to access and print from the web4,5, e.g. with Google Docs ©2012 Google.
- Install your printer fast – there's no CD required with HP Smart Install12.
- Manage workflow with intuitive features right on the printer. A convenient USB port enables printing directly from a flash drive4.
- Easily control your print environment and save IT time and costs – HP Web Jetadmin helps you monitor equipment and increase uptime.
Enjoy professional-quality output for a great value.
- Produce professional-quality business documents with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
- Get peace of mind with trusted HP LaserJet reliability and consistent print quality from the first to the last page.
- Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save money with optional high-capacity cartridges designed for frequent printing13.
- Do more with a 300-sheet paper capacity (800-sheets total with optional 500-sheet tray).
Reduce your environmental impact.
- Save energy with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology which turns your printer on when you need it and off when you don’t14.
- Reduce paper use by up to 50% with automatic two-sided printing.
- Easily recycle Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges through HP Planet Partners15.
- Reduce packaging waste: Original HP toner cartridge HP 80A ships in the printer.
- 1 Available on M401dw model only.
- 2 Wireless performance is dependent upon physical environment and distance from access point, and may be limited during active VPN connections.
- 3 Available on M401dn, M401dw and M401dne models only.
- 4 Available on M401dn and M401dw models only.
- 5 Requires a wireless access point and an Internet connection to the printer. Services may require registration. Availability varies by country, language, and agreements, and requires a firmware upgrade. For details, www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter.
- 6 HP Auto Wireless Connect may not be available for all system configurations. Wireless performance is dependent upon physical environment and distance from access point. For information on compatibility, visit www.hp.com/go/autowirelessconnect.
- 7 Requires an Internet connection to the printer. Feature works with any connected Internet- and email-capable device. Requires HP Web Services Account Registration. Print times may vary. For a list of supported documents, and image types, see www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter. And for additional solutions, see www.hp.com/go/mobile-printing-solutions.
- 8 Supports iOS 4.2 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch) that support multitasking. iOS 4.2 devices require an 802.11 wireless network connection, AirPrint-capable printer can be connected wireless or via Ethernet. AirPrint and the AirPrint Logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- 9 Not available on all mobile devices. Must be wireless-enabled and may require driver or apps, available for download at www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter. Printer must be HP ePrint-enabled.
- 10 Available on M401d, M401dn, M401dw and M401dne models only.
- 11 Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.
- 12 Smart Install works with Windows® only – for USB and network-connections. Not available with M401dne model.
- 13 HP 80X LaserJet Black Toner Cartridge not included; must be purchased separately.
- 14 HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology capabilities subject to printer and settings.
- 15 Programme availability varies. HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners programme. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit www.hp.com/recycle
- Print speed black:
Normal:Up to 33 ppm
- (Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity. )
- First page out (ready)
- Black:As fast as 8 sec
- Print quality black (best):
- Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Duty cycle (monthly, A4)
- Up to 50,000 pages
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups. )
- Recommended monthly page volume:
- 750 to 3000 pages
- Recommended monthly page volume note:
- HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.
- Print technology:
- Processor speed:
- 800 MHz
- Print languages:
- HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- 8.89 cm touchscreen control panel, CGD (Colour Graphic Display)
- HP ePrint capability:
- Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™, business apps
- Wireless capability:
- Connectivity, standard:
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- 1 Host USB
- 1 Ethernet 10/100/1000T network
- 1 Walk-up USB
- Network ready:
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
- Minimum system requirements
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port; Windows® XP32 SP2 (32-bit): Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port;
Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7; PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor; 500 MB hard disk; CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet; USB or Network
- Compatible operating systems:
- Full software installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows®7 32-bit/64-bit, Windows Vista® 32-bit/64-bit, Windows® XP 32-bit (SP2 or higher)
- Driver only installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 32-bit/64-bit, Windows® Server 2003 32-bit (SP3 or higher)
- Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7
- Linpus Linux: 9.4, 9.5
- RED HAT Enterprise Linux: 5.0, 6.0
- OpenSuSE: 11.3, 11.4
- Fedora™: 14, 15
- Ubuntu®: 10.04, 10.10, 11.04
- Debian: 5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i
- Memory, standard:
- 256 MB
- Memory, maximum:
- 256 MB
- Hard disk:
- Paper handling input, standard:
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray, 250-sheet input tray, automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
- Paper handling input, optional:
- Optional 500-sheet tray
- Paper handling output, standard:
- 150-sheet output bin
- Duplex printing:
- Automatic (standard)
- Media sizes supported:
- A4; A5; A6; B5 (JIS)
- Media sizes, custom:
- Multipurpose tray: 76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mm; tray 2 and optional 500-sheet tray: 105 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm
- Media types:
- Paper (plain, Green mode, light, heavy, bond, colour, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; transparencies, cardstock
- Supported media weight:
- Tray 1: 60 to 163 g/m² (straight through paper path for special media); tray 2, optional 500-sheet tray 3: 60 to 120 g/m²
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- Input voltage: 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
- Power consumption
- 570 watts (printing), 7.3 watts (ready), 6.2 watts (sleep), 0.1 watts (off). Typical Electricity Consumption (TEC): 2.08 kWh/Week
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.)
- Energy efficiency:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- Operating temperature range:
- 15 to 32.5ºC
- Operating humidity range:
- 30 to 70% RH
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Minimum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 364.6 x 368 x 271 mm, touchscreen down (364.6 x 368 x 383.6 mm, touchscreen upraised at 90°)
- Maximum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 364.6 x 633.4 x 383.6 mm (multipurpose tray and fold-up cover extended, tray 2 extended to legal-size, touchscreen upraised at 90°)
- 11 kg
- Package dimensions (W x D x H):
- 430 x 330 x 480 mm
- Package weight:
- 14.2 kg
- What's in the box:
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn printer
- built-in automatic two-sided printing
- Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-TX network
- HP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages)
- Installation guide, Getting Started guide, Support flyer, Warranty guide
- Printer documentation and software on CD-ROM
- power cord
- Cable included:
- No, please purchase USB cable separately
- One-year warranty. Warranty and support options vary by product, country and local legal requirements.
- Post warranty repair & maintenance
- Please visit our website:
- Eco Highlights
• Save energy – HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology turns your printer on when you need it and off when you don't.
• Save paper by up to 50%, using automatic two-sided printing.
• Free, convenient cartridge recycling in more than 50 countries.
 HP Auto-On/Auto-Off capabilities subject to printer and settings.
 Programme availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners programme. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit www.hp.com/recycle.
• Please recycle your computing hardware and printing supplies. HP asset management and recycling services make responsible disposal easy.
- Quick Links
* Excluding local taxes and custom duties as applicable in country.
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.
- Open popup menuAbout HP|
- Open popup menuResources|
- Open popup menuHP Partners|Beginning HP Partners contentHP Partners
- Open popup menuCustomer Support