Discover PerformanceHP Software's community for IT leaders
The hunt for the white hats: Where have all the security professionals gone?
According to a recent study, nearly 40% of security jobs are vacant. Why is that, and what can we do as an industry to help solve the problem?
Join us for this episode of Discover Performance Weekly as we take an extended look at issues raised in the Discover Performance article “Addressing the security talent gap.” According to a recent study, nearly 40% of security jobs are vacant. Why is that, and what can we do as an industry to help solve the problem?
HP Software evangelist and VP of Strategic Marketing Paul Muller talks with:
- Chris Veltsos, professor in the Deptartment of Computer Information Science at Minnesota State University
- Jacob West, CTO of HP Enterprise Security Products
Breaking down the discussion
In this episode, Paul, Chris, and Jacob discuss:
- The lack of security professionals in the industry (1:30)
- Addressing the “perception problem” when it comes to security professionals (2:40)
- Undergraduate coursework: Information Security vs. Computer Science degrees (3:50)
- How can we help? (5:05)
- Partnership with academia to communicate needs better (5:45)
- Scholarship for Women Studying Information Security (5:55)
- How the adversary thinks about recruiting security talent (7:20)
The “tips of the week” our guests offer include:
Jacob: Scholarships for Women Studying Information Security (http://swsis.wordpress.com/)
Chris: The book Made to Stick by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
Paul: Security Now podcast (http://twit.tv/sn)
Get more from Discover Performance
For more episodes of Discover Performance Weekly, covering everything from security and innovation to whether government’s role in technology is too much like “Big Brother,” check out our DP Weekly homepage.
Keep up with Discover Performance’s articles, blogs, videos, and more by signing up to get highlights direct to your inbox, twice per quarter.
Introduction to Enterprise 20/20
What will a successful enterprise look like in the future?
Challenges and opportunities for the CIO of the future.
Dev Center 20/20
How will we organize development centers for the apps that will power our enterprises?
Welcome to a new reality of split-second decisions and marketing by the numbers.
IT Operations 20/20
How can you achieve the data center of the future?
What the workforce of 2020 can expect from IT, and what IT can expect from the workforce.
Preparing today for tomorrow’s threats.
Looking toward the era when everyone — and everything — is connected.
Data Center 20/20
The innovation and revenue engine of the enterprise.