Discover PerformanceHP Software's community for IT leaders // November 2013
Make Big Data work for Ops
Big Data presents a big challenge—but also a big opportunity for Operations leaders.
Most enterprise IT shops have spent years building business logic to handle the data that flows into the enterprise, powering automated processes that minimize manual work. Yet this structured data now accounts for just 10 percent of all data that comes into the enterprise. Thanks to the cloud, social media, email, sensors, and an increasingly mobile user base, the other 90 percent is unstructured data pouring in around the clock from humans and machines alike.
Now that the era of Big Data is upon us, many enterprises face a conundrum: they’re sitting on a mother lode of strategic information, but mining it for insight is an enormous challenge. As you look at not merely coping with Big Data but delivering better services from it, you will need visibility into that untapped 90 percent. Here’s how to get the visibility you need to harness the power of Big Data and put it to work for you.
The first step in this journey is to automate routine IT operations tasks. Instead of taking up expert resources, you can use the business logic with structured data to execute rapidly and consistently, avoiding the risk of manual errors and any resulting downtime.
After you’ve automated tasks, you can begin to tie them together and create end-to-end processes and workflows that remove manual hand-offs between teams. Now you can provision secure services within minutes. IT can transform its operations and let the business adopt newer business models.
Even when IT can automate the tasks and processes that enable services, it can’t necessarily deliver in a timely and efficient way. Without the needed efficiencies, the business will procure its own services outside your purview. You can’t prohibit shadow IT from taking ground if you need three weeks to set up a service that the business requests—and that the third party can deliver in a few minutes.
The next step is to move from a reactive to a proactive approach to delivery, and uncover insight hidden in unstructured data. With that insight, you can move closer to a ticketless IT environment. For example, human-generated social data can feed back into help-desk processes with the relevant context, allowing the business user to quickly understand the problem and even fix it. The application of social insight helps fine-tune the process of addressing the fixes, to significantly drop the time it takes on average to resolve an issue.
Today, most organizations are doing basic monitoring. But to provide assurance that services will run reliably, you need more than the basics. You must bring all of your war rooms together to share data, enabling you to pinpoint a problem anywhere and make sure the necessary person knows how to address it. Then, the insight hidden in Big Data can help you predict problems before they arise next time, so you can eliminate perfect storms before they develop.
From challenge to opportunity
When you have blind spots in your data, you’re unable to meet expectations. And when you can’t meet expectations, the business decides to solve its own problems—bringing in services that you didn’t vet, but still have to support when something goes wrong.
Big Data may be the answer to this problem, because it holds the key to understanding what users need. When you can capture and analyze all of the unstructured data flowing into your environment each day, you’re better able to close the gap between business expectations and your ability to deliver. Big challenge? Yes. But Big Data presents a much bigger opportunity for those organizations willing to use it.
For more on harnessing data to improve operations, visit HP’s Operations Analytics page.
HP Software’s Paul Muller hosts a weekly video digging into the hottest IT issues. Check out the latest episodes.
Learn how IT leaders can accelerate service delivery, make their businesses self-sufficient, and better control their IT economics.
IT Operations 20/20
How can you achieve the data center of the future?
Introduction to Enterprise 20/20
What will a successful enterprise look like in the future?
Challenges and opportunities for the CIO of the future.
Dev Center 20/20
How will we organize development centers for the apps that will power our enterprises?
Welcome to a new reality of split-second decisions and marketing by the numbers.
What the workforce of 2020 can expect from IT, and what IT can expect from the workforce.
Preparing today for tomorrow’s threats.
Looking toward the era when everyone — and everything — is connected.
Data Center 20/20
The innovation and revenue engine of the enterprise.