HP Introduces Multitouch Slate 2 Tablet PC for Business
To boost productivity for business users
HP announced the HP Slate 2 Tablet PC with expanded touch capabilities, enhanced multitasking performance and embedded security, providing added flexibility to mobile business users. The HP Slate 2 Tablet PC provides instant deployment for business and vertical markets such as automotive, telecommunications, banking, education, healthcare, government and retail, where jobs frequently take users away from a traditional desk.
The HP Slate 2 Tablet PC features cutting-edge applications designed to optimise performance in an instant-on enterprise. It can be tailored to business needs through specific applications to enhance the user experience for customers and employees.
With a full-featured Microsoft Windows®(1) environment, the HP Slate 2 Tablet PC has a starting weight of 0.69-kilos(2) and provides professionals with the flexibility to create, edit and review content on a highly mobile and lightweight device.
The HP Slate 2 Tablet PC features an 8.9-inch diagonal capacitive multitouch display for touch and pen input plus includes a new Swype keyboard. The Swype applet enhances the touch experience with comfortable and efficient data entry via one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard.
The HP Slate 2 Tablet PC comes with an Intel® Atom™ Z670 processor with up to 64GB(3) mSATA SSD (Solid-State Drive) to deliver faster boot times, improved battery life of up to six hours(4) and increased performance for business customers(5).
The HP Slate 2 enables organisations to securely expose their existing Windows-based applications to a mobile platform and device. They also have the benefit of being able to develop their own mobile applications all while being confident that their current IT standards and security policies are being adhered to.
“HP is dedicated to the tablet PC category and continues to listen to customers and improve the product in ways that best address their business needs,” said Scott Basford, General Manager, Personal Systems Group, HP Hong Kong. “The HP Slate 2 includes the right mix of rich features, support for custom-built applications and the security needed for today’s highly mobile and rigorous day-to-day professional environment.”
“With the HP Slate 2 and Windows 7 operating system, Microsoft believes businesses are able to both empower employees and provide enterprise caliber capabilities to their IT departments so they can ensure business continuity, “ said Jason Lim, General Manager, Windows & Windows Live Business Group, Microsoft APAC. “This drives home the realization of the consumerization of IT trend as IT teams are fully equipped to enable flexible workstyles as a reality for their organization while ensuring their environment is well managed and operating at peak performance without compromising security.”
Additional hardware and software enhancements to the HP Slate 2 Tablet PC’s security and experience include:
- A TPM Embedded Security Chip helps protects data – from email to information on the hard drive.
- Embedded Security for HP ProtectTools provides user control and management of the TPM chip to increase secure user authentication, improved personal secure drive integrity, secure email and support protected digital certificate applications.
- Through a single user interface, HP Connection Manager offers easy control over wireless connections, including Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Bluetooth® and optional integrated 3G Mobile Broadband(6) for convenient internet and intranet access from more places around the world.
For remote workers, a front-facing VGA webcam enables videoconferencing, and a 3-megapixel camera on the back allows for still image and video capture. SRS Premium Sound provides optimized audio settings for voice and multimedia applications and an SD card slot allows for expanded storage and sharing capabilities. The HP Slate Dock provides device connection via two USB 2.0 ports and an HDMI port.
Flexible HP Slate solutions for business
The HP Slate 2 Tablet PC has optional, additional accessories and business solutions including the HP Slate Bluetooth® Keyboard and Case. The new sleek, stylish executive-class carrying solution bundles the HP Slate 2, a rechargeable Bluetooth® keyboard and HP Slate Digital Pen inside a single folio.
Besides, the HP Retail Mobile Point-of-Sale Case can be attached to the newly announced HP Slate 2 Tablet PC, along with the additions of an integrated magnetic stripe reader (MSR) and a barcode scanner, to form the company’s first mobile point-of-sales solution for retailers, helping them to deliver a personalized shopping experience to their customers.
Salespeople are able to complete customer transactions anywhere in the store, reducing long lines at fixed checkouts and boosting sales and productivity.
Retailers also can use the HP Slate 2’s integrated Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® wireless technology to check product availability, find alternate colors and styles, track orders and email customer receipts(7). The 8.9-inch screen is ideal for employees wanting to share videos or inventory selections with their customers.
Pricing and availability
The HP Slate 2 Tablet PC is available now from HK$6,480.
Specifications of HP Slate 2 Tablet PC (A3N78PA#AB5)
- Intel® Atom™ Z670 Processor (1.5GHz)
- Intel® System Control Hub (SCH) SM35 Chipset
- 512KB L2 Cache Memory
- 8.9” LED-backlit WSVGA wide-viewing angle display (1024 x 600)
- Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32-bit (Traditional Chinese /Simplified Chinese/English)
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- 32GB mSATA SSD (Solid-State Drive)
- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 600 Graphics Card
- Built-in 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless LAN, built-in Bluetooth module
- USB 2.0 x 1, Power Connector/HP Slate Dock connector, Combo Stereo Headphone/Microphone Jack; optional HP Slate Dock includes USB 2.0 x 2, HDMI connector x 1, Combo Stereo Headphone/Microphone Jack x 1
- TPM Embedded Security Chip 1.2, Embedded Security for HP ProtectTools
- Secure Digital slot, supports SD, SDHC and SDXC
- HD Audio with SRS Premium Sound, integrated stereo speakers and microphone, two integrated cameras: VGA Webcam (inward facing), 3 MP camera (outward facing)
- HP Slate digital pen, 2-cell (30WHr) polymer battery
- 234mm (W) x 150mm (D) x 15mm (H)
- Weigh 0.69 kg(2)
- 1 year limited warranty
Suggested retail price : HKD$6,480
Another model of HP Slate 2 Tablet PC (A9D39PA#AB5)(8) equipped with 64GB SSD and 3G wireless connection is available at HK$7,680.
For sales enquiry, please contact HP: 800-93-8833 or visitwww.hp.com.hk.
(1) Compatible with 32 bit software and applications only.
(2) Weight will vary by configuration.
(3) Available in selected models only.
(4) Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage.
(5) Comparison to HP Slate 500 Tablet PC.
(6) WWAN use requires a separately purchased wireless service contract. Check with local vendors for coverage area and availability. Connection and speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions and other factors.
(7) WLAN only. Wireless access point and internet service required and sold separately. Availability of public wireless access points is limited.
(8) Sold separately by appointed distributor.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.hk.
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations, including execution of growth strategies, transformation initiatives and restructuring plans; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; the development and transition of new products and services (and the enhancement of existing products and services) to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the protection of HP’s intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the hiring and retention of key employees; expectations and assumptions relating to the execution and timing of growth strategies, transformation initiatives and restructuring plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2011 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2010. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2012 Hewlett-Packard Asia Pacific Pte Ltd. Registration No.: 198703164G. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.