HP Unveils a True Tablet for Business
HP today introduced the HP ElitePad 900, a tablet that balances a beautiful design with enterprise-grade features, functionality and support.
Designed for business, government healthcare and retail, it features HP ElitePad Smart Jackets,(1) which add connectivity options and longer battery life along with specific add-ons that customize the tablet for specialized uses.
The HP ElitePad is an ultrathin, lightweight Microsoft® Windows 8 tablet(2) that delivers features to keep IT managers happy and touts a design that employees will crave. It offers full serviceability, enhanced security and manageability found in HP Elite PCs, packed with a battery that passed over 115,000 hours of tests.
“Many organizations are forced to trade design for functionality when making technology purchasing decisions,” said Gerwald van der Gijp, director commercial products, Personal Computer Business Unit, HP EMEA. “By combining the style and user experience consumers demand with the features IT requires, the HP ElitePad shows that customers can have it all.”
A tablet that is made for business
Ergonomically shaped to fit comfortably in the hand, the HP ElitePad offers a 25.7 cm (10.1”) display, weighs just 0.68(3) and measures 9.2 millimeters (mm) thin. The 16-by-10 aspect ratio maximizes the display area for ideal viewing of traditional business applications, as well as video content. Precision crafted, with an eye toward fit and finish, the HP ElitePad uses stylish, premium materials such as CNC-machined aluminum and Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2.
Powered by next-generation Intel® mobile processors, the HP ElitePad delivers PC productivity for those on the go and Intel x86 compatibility for existing business application support. It is optimized for Windows 8 and supports touch-, pen- or voice-based input. The HP ElitePad also provides power efficiency and smartphone-style convenience with compatibility for traditional Windows applications, as well as easy integration into existing IT environments.
The unique, productivity-enhancing ecosystem of HP Smart Jackets and additional accessories designed specifically for the HP ElitePad expand the tablet’s potential, turning it into a total enterprise solution: (1)
HP ElitePad Productivity Jacket—includes an integrated keyboard, connectivity ports, SD card reader and adjustable viewing angles for a complete computing experience.
HP ElitePad Expansion Jacket—adds USB, HDMI and other connectivity to get more done on the go. Add even longer battery life when bundled with the optional HP ElitePad Jacket battery.(4)
The HP ElitePad Rugged Jacket—provides added protection HP ElitePad Docking Station—delivers an enterprise-class desktop experience with an added keyboard and monitor and also charges the tablet. Or, use it to set the tablet up as a secondary screen for phenomenal multitasking.
HP Executive Tablet Pen—lets customers write messages and notes in their natural handwriting directly on screen and then save or convert to typed text for use in other applications.
Loaded with tools for mobile work or play
The HP ElitePad tablet’s 1080p front-facing video camera and 8 megapixel (MP) rear camera with an LED flash and included CyberLink YouCam software help users easily communicate face to face, create high-definition (HD)(5) web videos or record training videos without high production costs.
Powered by technology from HP Labs, the company’s central research arm, new HP PageLift(6) is an application that automatically trims, and correctly lights and orients a captured image of a whiteboard, paper contract or other document so it is ready to use or share without requiring manual editing.
Users can easily print directly from their HP ElitePad to any ePrint-capable HP printer or to a networked HP printer without the need for downloading drivers. HP ePrint software(7) allows users to print remotely at more than 24,000 public locations such as hotels and business service retailers.(8) The HP ElitePad also helps small workgroups connect with HP Wireless Hotspot, a desktop application that allows users to share a wireless internet connection and network bandwidth.(9)
Additional user-experience software includes the CyberLink Media suite, which enables users to manage and create audio and video content with the same easy-to-use interface as other HP business PCs. Plus, users can record and listen to audio with a stereo microphone and headset jack that feature the richness of SRS Audio.
Information management is made easy with Evernote, which captures, saves and synchronizes information across devices with impressively quick search capability, and Skitch software that eases collaboration with colleagues by quickly marking up images with captions or sketches.
Manageability, deployment and security for IT environments
The HP ElitePad offers a long life cycle, stable image, three-year limited warranty and HP Global Series Support, all of which IT managers expect in an enterprise tablet. The HP ElitePad is fully serviceable with an optional, industry-unique service tool for self-maintainers that allows customers to access the panel, battery, motherboard and unibody chassis, helping reduce downtime and keep sensitive data and devices in-house.(10)
In addition, organizations will appreciate the enterprise-caliber data, device and identity protection from HP Client Security,(11) including HP BIOS Protection, Security Manager and HP Drive Encryption. Additional security features include Device Access Manager, Computrace(12) and Sparekey.
Device deployment and ongoing support and maintenance are made easy with x86 compatibility and support for HP Client Management solutions. The LANDesk Management Suite(1) also increases security and eases management by providing differentiated tools to locate and protect data on lost devices, remotely capture SIM card info for mass WWAN activation(13) and enforce geographic policies to remotely lock, full wipe or selectively wipe data
The HP ElitePad 900 is expected to be available in January 2013.
(1) Sold separately or as an optional feature.
(2) This system is Windows 8 certified and supports the new Windows Store user interface. The integrated display resolution is below the threshold for Snap, a Windows Store interface feature that allows two Windows Store applications to be viewed simultaneously. This feature may be enabled by attaching an external 1,366 x 768 or higher resolution display.
(3) Weight will vary by configuration.
(4) Requires optional HP Smart Jacket and secondary battery.
(5) High definition content is required to view high-definition images.
(6) Requires Windows 8 Pro.
(7) Requires an internet connection to HP web-enabled printer and HP ePrint account registration (a list of eligible printers, supported documents and image types, and other HP ePrint details is available at www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter), Requires optional broadband module. Broadband use requires separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for coverage and availability in specific area. Separately purchased data plans or usage fees may apply. Print times and connection speeds may vary.
(8) Use of HP ePrint at HP Public Print locations requires internet- and email-capable smartphone or tablet with separately purchased wireless internet service, and the HP ePrint or HP ePrint software. Availability and cost of printing varies by location. A list of applicable smartphone and tablet operating systems is available at www.hp.com/go/eprintmobile.
(9) The HP Wireless Hotspot application requires an active internet connection and separately purchased data plan. While HP mobile hotspot is active, on-device applications will continue to work and will use the same data plan as the mobile hotspot. Mobile hotspot data usage may incur additional charges. Check plan for details. Requires Microsoft Windows 8.
(10) Available for HP Authorized Service Providers or HP Self-Maintainers only. Additional information is available at www.hp.com/partners/SMprogram.
(11) Requires Microsoft Windows and initial user set up.
(12) Computrace agent is shipped turned off, and must be activated by customers when they purchase a subscription. Subscriptions can be purchased for terms ranging for multiple years. Service is limited. Check with Absolute for country availability.
(13) Broadband use requires separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for coverage and availability in specific area.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers’ most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com