- For Home
- For Business
- Make daily printing more efficient. Take advantage of fast print speeds, and do more with automatic two-sided printing. Control jobs using the 2-line display.
- Printing professional-quality documents at a great value, with outstanding networking and paper-saving features.
- Stay productive and boost business. Save paper with automatic two-sided printing. Fast print speeds and 250-sheet paper tray capacity help you print more—and reload paper less.
- Boost productivity with print speeds up to 33 ppm A4 and 35 ppm letter.1
- Reload paper less often with up to 250-sheet paper capacity.
Easy to install, easy to use
- Install your printer fast—there's no CD required with HP Smart Install.2
- Operate your printer with ease, using the 2-line display.
- Receive consistent results with Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges and reorder with HP SureSupply.3
Professional-quality output for a great value
- Produce professional-quality business prints with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
- Depend on a printer with a 50,000-page recommended monthly page volume—the ideal fit for reliable printing.
- Save money by saving energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology powers your printer up and down automatically.4
- Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save more with high-capacity cartridges.5
Reduced environmental impact
- Reduce energy use with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology.4
- Reduce paper use by up to 50% with automatic two-sided printing.
- Easily recycle Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges through HP Planet Partners.6
- Reduce packaging waste—Original HP toner cartridges ship in the printer.
1 Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.
2 Not available on all models. Mobile device must be wireless-enabled. Printer must be HP ePrint-enabled. Feature may require driver or apps, available for download at www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter.
3 Program features and availability may vary by country. For more information, visit www.hp.com/learn/suresupply.
4 HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology capabilities subject to printer and settings.
5 HP 80X LaserJet Black Toner Cartridge not included; must be purchased separately.
6 Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit www.hp.com/recycle.
- Print speed black:
- Normal:Up to 33 ppm
- (Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity. )
- First page out (ready)
- Black: As fast as 8 sec
- Print quality black (best):
- Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Duty cycle (monthly, A4)
Up to 50,000 pages
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups.)
- Recommended monthly page volume:
- 750 to 3000
- Recommended monthly page volume note:
- HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.
- Print technology:
- Processor speed:
- 800 MHz
- Print languages:
- HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- 2-line LCD (text and graphics)
- HP ePrint capability:
- Mobile printing capability
- Wireless capability:
- Connectivity, standard:
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- Network ready:
- Minimum system requirements
Windows 8, Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port; Windows XP (32-bit) SP2: Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port;
Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7; PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor; 500 MB hard disk; CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet; USB or Network
- Compatible operating systems:
- Full software installs supported on: Windows 8, Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit) (SP2 or higher)
- Driver only installs supported on: Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) (SP3 or higher)
- Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7
- Linpus Linux (9.4, 9.5), Red Hat Enterprise Linux (5.0, 6.0), OpenSUSE Linux (11.3, 11.4), Fedora (14, 15), Ubuntu (10.04, 10.10, 11.04), Debian (5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i)
- Memory, standard:
- 128 MB
- Memory, maximum:
- 128 MB
- Hard disk:
- Paper handling input, standard:
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray 1, 250-sheet input tray 2, automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
- Paper handling input, optional:
- Optional third 500-sheet tray
- Paper handling output, standard:
- 150-sheet output bin
- Duplex printing:
- Automatic (standard)
- Media sizes supported:
- A4; A5; A6; B5 (JIS)
- Media sizes, custom:
- Multipurpose tray: 76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mm; tray 2 and optional 500-sheet tray 3: 105 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm
- Media types:
- Paper (plain, Green mode, light, heavy, bond, color, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; transparencies, cardstock
- Supported media weight:
- Tray 1: 60 to 163 g/m² (straight through paper path for special media); tray 2, optional 500-sheet tray 3: 60 to 120 g/m²
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- Input voltage: 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
- Power consumption
570 watts (Printing), 7.3 watts (Ready), 6.2 watts (Sleep), 0.1 watts (Off)
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.)
- Energy efficiency:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- Operating temperature range:
- 15 to 32.5ºC
- Operating humidity range:
- 30 to 70% RH
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Minimum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 364.6 x 368 x 267.5 mm
- Maximum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 364.6 x 633.4 x 308.4 mm (multipurpose tray and foldup cover extended, tray 2 extended to legal-size)
- 10.7 kg
- Package dimensions (W x D x H):
- 430 x 330 x 480 mm
- Package weight:
- 13.9 kg
- What's in the box:
- Average CF280A black cartridge yields 2700 standard pages. Declared value in accordance with ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yields vary considerably based on images printed and other factors.
- Cable included:
- Yes, 1 USB cable (AP only); No, please purchase USB cable separately (EMEA, Americas)
- 1 Year Next Business Day Hardware Support
- Eco Highlights
• Save energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology turns your printer on when you need it, off when you don’t.[eco01]
• Save paper by up to 50% using automatic two-sided printing.
• Free, convenient cartridge recycling in more than 50 countries.[eco02]
[eco01]HP Auto-On/Auto-Off capabilities subject to printer and settings.
[eco02]Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit http://www.hp.com/recycle.
• Please recycle your computing hardware and printing supplies. HP asset management and recycling services make responsible disposal easy.
- Quick Links
Rate & Review HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401d
(0.0 average / 0 RATINGS / 0 RECOMMENDS)
Your review has been submitted. Please note that your review may need to be reviewed and may not post immediately Sorry, your review can't be submitted. Please, try again later. rate & write a review
- Note: Information published at this site may refer to products, programs or services that are not available in your country. Consult your local HP business contact for information regarding the products, programs and services that may be available. *Prices, promotions, specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without prior notice and are applicable for India only. Prices are only indicative and are exclusive of applicable taxes, options, accessories and consumables. Despite our best efforts, a small number of items may contain pricing, typography, or photography errors. Acceptance of order is subject to validation of correct prices and promotions. Prices and offers given above may vary from reseller prices and offers.