HP TouchPad Brings webOS to the Big Screen
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- HPtoday enlarged the HP webOS world with the first webOS slate – theHP TouchPad – the breakthrough webOS user interface fully realizedin the tablet experience.(1)
With its vibrant 9.7-inchdiagonal flush capacitive multitouch display, virtual keyboard,instant-on access, support for Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 beta inthe browser and access to thousands of webOSapplications,(2) TouchPad works the way you do and isdesigned not just for fun but for mobile productivity. It’s idealfor anyone who wants the benefits of the amazing webOS platform ona much bigger scale.TouchPad is one of the products HP announced today to introduce aunique experience for customers around connected mobility, offeringa unified experience for the first time across a variety ofdevices. It’s one of the building blocks in HP’s vision toseamlessly connect all your worlds through the power of HP webOS.
“Today we’re embarking on anew era of webOS with the goal of linking a wide family of HPproducts through the best mobile experience available,” said JonRubinstein, senior vice president and general manager, Palm GlobalBusiness Unit, HP. “The flexibility of the webOS platform makes itideal for creating a range of innovative devices that work togetherto keep you better connected to your world.”
Designed to be used aloneor as a digital companion to your webOS phone, TouchPad connectsyou and your devices through the elegant webOS experience. Nevermiss an important call or SMS message – they can be answered andviewed right on your TouchPad.(3,4) Plus, HP’s exclusivenew touch-to-share feature will let you simply touch an enabledwebOS phone to your TouchPad to share web URLs.(1,5)
With the HP Synergyfeature, you simply have to sign in to your Facebook®, Google,Microsoft® Exchange, LinkedIn and Yahoo!® accounts and yourcontacts, calendar and email automatically populate yourTouchPad.(6)
TouchPad works theway you do
The TouchPad user interfaceis a visual representation of your workspace, so you can manageyour workflow in a naturally intuitive way that’s easy and fun. Thepower of webOS true multitasking lets you have multipleapplications running at the same time. webOS shows you youractivities in the form of cards, not a sea of application icons onnumerous home screens.
This helps you do all thethings you want to do, all at once, so you can listen to music,update your status on Facebook, read email and chat on IM at thesame time.(4,7) As you launch new activities, webOS willautomatically group related cards – for example, an email and anassociated web page – together in a card stack, so you can easilytrack all related items together.(6)
TouchPad also features awebOS communication suite powered by HP Synergy that keeps youconnected and creative, making all of your communications simpler,richer and in your control. It’s a complete solution, includingemail, instant messaging, contacts, calendar, videos and afront-facing camera for video calling.(6) Connectedphoto albums make it easy to share and view your pictures directlyfrom popular services such as Facebook, Snapfish and Photobucket. Itworks seamlessly with TouchPad’s user interface for a natural andefficient experience.
Around the house oron the go
TouchPad offers a greatinternet experience around the house or on the go, so you canmanage your busy life, be productive wherever you are and stayconnected with work, friends, family and social networks. It keepsyou connected anywhere there’s Wi-Fi for easy access to the web andentertainment.(8)
At home, whether you’rewatching TV, relaxing on the sofa, at the kitchen table or in bed,you can check in with friends, surf the web, play games or read abook, magazine or newspaper.(2) Amazon.com todayannounced that it will launch a free Kindle app for HP webOStailored for TouchPad that will give you access to more than810,000 titles from Amazon’s Kindle Store. You also can subscribeto popular magazine titles, such as Time, Sports Illustrated,Fortune and People, and download movies and TV shows through the HPMovie Store. The TouchPad music app lets you transfer and play allyour favorites from your personal music collection,(9)with amazing sound quality by Beats Audio™. You can start an email,create a message, update your status, search your favorite websites– all before you’ve even opened an application. Whenever you wantto do something on your TouchPad, Just Type.
Buy and sell on Amazon.com,do your banking, buy movie tickets from Fandango or check the news.Whether your thing is Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, IM, video callingor email, TouchPad brings it all together with thousands ofavailable webOS applications and the convenience and power of HPSynergy for integrated contacts and calendar to keep your busy lifeon track.(6)
It’s great for road trips,on a plane, while commuting, in public places, while visitingfriends and on vacation. It’s easy to pack, has a long-lastingbattery and integrated GPS (3G only), and posting vacation photosis a snap.(1,10)
When productivity is key,TouchPad makes an excellent companion. You can read and writeemail, view your work and personal inboxes together, or easilytoggle between them. Integrated messaging conveniently combines allyour text messages, picture messages and IM conversations with oneperson into a single view, and you can connect through SMS, GoogleTalk, AIM and Yahoo! Messenger.(4)
TouchPad’s virtual fullQWERTY keyboard includes a number row, which reduces keyboardswitching, making typing easy and fast. It powers on instantly andbrings you back to exactly where you left off, whether you were inthe middle of composing an email, playing a game or browsing a webpage. With webOS true multitasking, it’s like you never left.
For maximum productivity,HP is working with Quickoffice to include the Quickoffice ConnectMobile Suite, which lets you view and edit documents, such asMicrosoft Word and Excel. It also comes with VPN support to connectto corporate networks.
With its 1.3-megapixelfront-facing webcam, TouchPad offers video callingcapability.(11) It’s also compatible with HP’sindustry-leading printing solutions, so you can wirelessly printdocuments, photos and emails to compatible wireless and networkedHP printers.(12)
TouchPad has built-in HPTouchstone technology for easy charging, so it’s compatible out ofthe box with the HP Touchstone for TouchPad (sold separately), andyou can charge in either portrait or landscape mode, even withoutremoving the TouchPad case (sold separately). The webOS Exhibitionfeature lets you run applications designed specifically forTouchstone. Set your TouchPad on Touchstone and Exhibition launchesautomatically, showing you anything from today’s agenda to aslideshow of your photos.(13)
TouchPad is one of threewebOS products announced today (see separate announcements for HPVeer and HPPre 3). Each product plays a distinct role in thegrowing webOS family, designed to meet the varying needs ofcustomers in a rapidly evolving mobile landscape.
HP TouchPad is scheduled tobe available in the summer. Exact pricing and availability will beannounced at a later date.
HP TouchPadfeatures and specs
- HP webOS
- High-speed connectivity(1)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 1.2-GHz processor
- 9.7-inch diagonal XGA capacitive, multitouch screen with avibrant, 18-bit color, 1,024 x 768 resolution display
- The option of either 16 GB or 32 GB of internalstorage(14)
- High-performance browser with full access to the web, includingsupport for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 beta for access to rich,Flash-based web content(1)
- Wireless connectivity:
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1Xauthentication(1)
- A-GPS (3G only)(10)
- Bluetooth® wireless technology 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereoBluetooth support
- Multimedia options, including music, photos, video recordingand playback, and a 3.5 mm headset/headphone/microphone jack
- Internal stereo speakers and Beats Audio
- Front-facing 1.3-megapixel webcam for live videocalling(11)
- Email, including EAS (for access to corporate MicrosoftExchange servers) and personal email support (Google Gmail push,Yahoo!, POP3, IMAP)(6)
- Robust messaging support(4)
- Light sensor, accelerometer, compass (magnetometer) andgyroscope
- Rechargeable 6,300 mAh (typical) battery
- Micro-USB (Charging and PC Connect) with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- Built-in HP Touchstone technology for easy charging (HPTouchstone for TouchPad sold separately) and HP touch-to-share toshare web addresses between TouchPad and compatible webOSphones(5)
- Dimensions: 190 mm x 242 mm x 13.7 mm (7.48 inches x 9.53inches x .54 inches)
- Weight: approximately 740 g (1.6 pounds)
More information about HPTouchPad is available at www.palm.com/TouchPad.
HP creates newpossibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people,businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technologycompany, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing,personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure tosolve customer problems. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) isavailable at http://www.hp.com/.
(1) Withinwireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobilenumber and related information required for setup and activation.Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommendedand may be required. Not all web content may be available.
(2) Third-partysoftware available separately. Within wireless coverage area only.Requires data services at additional cost. Availability will varyby region.
(3) Requiresconnection to compatible webOS phone with the same HP webOSAccount. Voice service requires separately purchased servicecontract. Availability may vary by carrier.
(4) Withinwireless coverage area only. SMS and IM require data services atadditional cost. SMS requires connection to compatible webOS phone.Availability of IM functionality may vary by carrier.
(5) Requires HPTouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher,both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL webpage content requires data connection vie Wi-Fi or cellularconnection.
(6) Withinwireless coverage area only. Microsoft Exchange email, contacts andcalendars available for ActiveSync only; requires Microsoft Outlookusing Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, Exchange Server 2007 orExchange Server 2010.
(7) Performancevaries bases on actual usage.
(8) Wi-Fi withinrange of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots may requirefee for usage.
(9) File formatssupported: DRM-free MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP and WAV.
(10) Withinwireless coverage area only. Voice-activated, as-you-go,turn-by-turn directions sold separately. Not available in allregions. Check with carrier for availability.
(11) Check withcarrier for video calling availability and restrictions.
(12) The webOSprint solution will support all network-capable HP printers thatsupport PCL page description language in the local LAN. Theseprinters include new HP ePrint-capable printers – Photosmart,Officejet and LaserJet – as well as legacy printers approximately 5years old or newer. ePrint requires an internet connection to theprinter. Feature works with any internet- and email-capable deviceand will require a firmware upgrade. Print times may vary. For alist of supported documents and image types, see www.hp.com/go/ePrintCenter.
(13) Displayedpreferences require user setup.
(14)User-available storage subject to change based on system softwareand application usage.
Adobe is a trademark ofAdobe Systems Incorporated. Microsoft is a trademark of theMicrosoft group of companies. Bluetooth is a trademark owned by itsproprietor and used by Hewlett-Packard Company under license.Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. Google is atrademark of Google, Inc. LinkedIn and the LinkedIn logo areregistered trademarks of LinkedIn Corporation in the United Statesand/or other countries. Yahoo! is a trademark of Yahoo! Inc.
This news release containsforward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties andassumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or suchassumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidatedsubsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed orimplied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. Allstatements other than statements of historical fact are statementsthat could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but notlimited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives ofmanagement for future operations; any statements concerningexpected development, performance, features, available applicationsor market share relating to products and services; any statementsregarding anticipated operational and financial results; anystatements of expectation or belief; and any statements ofassumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertaintiesand assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends andevents; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; thedevelopment and transition of new products and services (and theenhancement of existing products and services) to meet customerneeds and respond to emerging technological trends; the executionand performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers andpartners; the achievement of expected operational and financialresults; and other risks that are described in HP’s filings withthe Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limitedto HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year endedOctober 31, 2010. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend toupdate these forward-looking statements.
© 2011 Hewlett-PackardDevelopment Company, L.P. The information contained herein issubject to change without notice. The only warranties for HPproducts and services are set forth in the express warrantystatements accompanying such products and services. Nothing hereinshould be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HPshall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissionscontained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2015 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.