Delaware Awards HP $147 Million Medicaid Contract Extension
PALO ALTO, Calif., July 1, 2014 — HP Enterprise Services today announced the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS), Division of Medicaid and Medical Assistance has signed a $147 million contract for the company to implement its flagship interChange Medicaid Management Information System (MMIS).
HP will continue as Delaware’s Medicaid fiscal agent while helping the state prepare for healthcare transformation and maintain its role as a national healthcare leader. The five-year contract includes six one-year options that are not part of the base agreement and extends HP’s 24-year relationship in supporting Delaware Medicaid.
Delaware becomes the 16th state to adopt HP’s interchange Healthcare platform, a powerful, constantly evolving solution that gives states and their providers access to leading-edge technology aimed at cutting costs, increasing access to information, reducing implementation risk and improving provider satisfaction. The HP interChange Platform has earned federal certification in 13 states; two other interChange systems are under construction in other states.
“HP’s proven technical know-how combined with their deep understanding of the needs of healthcare providers and consumers in Delaware will help us ensure that our enrollees continue to receive critical health care and support services in the most efficient and cost-effective manner,” said Stephen Groff, director of Medicaid for the state of Delaware.
HP will provide Applications Services for the design and implementation of the Delaware Medicaid Enterprise System (DMES). The new system will:
- Provide the flexibility to enable Delaware to respond quickly to federal and state legislative changes such as the Affordable Care Act and the HITECH Act.
- Include the scalability to develop into a multipayer system to support other state programs.
- Drive innovation for new capabilities and services, such as web-based, self-service tools that allow better access to information through a secure portal. Clients will be able to request eligibility and providers will receive prior authorizations and submit claims online.
- Provide state health managers with near-real-time healthcare trend data to identify emerging needs.
- Reduce reliance on paper claims and documents.
HP will continue providing a sustainable infrastructure and managing the DMES with Business Process Outsourcing Services during and after the implementation. This is the infrastructure DHSS, providers and clients will use for provider enrollment, claims processing, reporting and audits. HP also will host the application and provide additional MMIS support, maintenance and disaster recovery services.
Delaware’s track record of healthcare firsts includes:
- Ranked No. 1 in the 2012 Surescripts National Survey with its ePrescribing/Safe-Rx State program, the first statewide program to offer the capability to help physicians select the right medication for clients and puts the entire prescription process online.
- First state to implement a HIPAA-compliant MMIS.
- First state to successfully implement the National Provider Identifier.
HP helps Delaware manage Medicaid benefits for more than 230,000 individuals a year. In 2013, HP processed more than 22 million claims worth $1.7 billion for nearly 10,000 Delaware healthcare providers. About 97 percent of claims were submitted electronically.
“Delaware very clearly set our requirements so recipients will continue to receive quality services while at the same time supporting strong fiscal responsibility,” said Susan Arthur, vice president, U.S. Health and Life Sciences Industry, HP Enterprise Services. “The HP team will equip DHSS with a powerful, proven and flexible solution that providers and beneficiaries can rely on well into the future.”
HP is the nation’s largest provider of Medicaid and Medicare process management services, administering $140 billion in benefits a year. It serves as the fiscal agent or principal IT provider for Medicaid in 19 states. HP’s U.S. healthcare experience spans payer, government and life science communities.
© 2014 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2015 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.