FAQs about Printer InstallationDo you have a question about installing your HP printer? Do you need more information on how drivers work, or how to troubleshoot a problem? Other HP customers have asked these same questions. The following FAQs have been collected from HP Support Experts to answer the most common HP printer installation and troubleshooting questions.
- Expand allCollapse allWhere do I get the driver for my printer?Where do I get the driver for my printer?
Windows users: Try HP's free diagnostic utility to help find the best driver (for Windows 7 and Windows 8 only)!
HP Printer Install Wizard (<1MB)
You can download and install the latest software and drivers from the HP website. You can also order software CDs and install updates, utilities, and patches.
Follow these steps to download the software and driver for your product.
Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
Turn the product on.
Right-click this link: Get Software and Drivers, and then click Open in new window.
Type your product number, and then click Next. You might also need to click your model in a list of similar products.
Click Software & Driver Downloads.
Select your operating system, and then click Next.
- Click the Plus sign () next to Driver, and then click the driver that you want to download.
Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions () for complete download instructions.
This option allows you to install the software at any time after the download completes.
Click Save, and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
Click Save. The software downloads to your computer.
- Expand allCollapse allHow do I know if my computer is 32-bit or 64-bit?How do I know if my computer is 32-bit or 64-bit?
Select your operating system for customized instructions.
- Expand allCollapse allWindows XPWindows XP
Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
On the General tab, look at the Windows XP version name listed under System.
If the version name contains the text x64 Edition, your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows XP.
If x64 Edition does not display, your computer has a 32-bit version of Windows XP.
- Expand allCollapse allWindows Vista or Windows 7Windows Vista or Windows 7
Click the Windows icon (), and then right-click Computer.
Find System Type on the Properties screen, and then note whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Expand allCollapse allWindows 8Windows 8
- From the Desktop, right-click or tap and hold the lower-left corner of the screen.
- Click or tap System. The System window opens.
- In the window, your Windows version displays to the right of System type.
- Expand allCollapse allWhat is the difference between a full feature driver and a basic driver?What is the difference between a full feature driver and a basic driver?
Basic Feature Software/Driver
A Basic Feature Software/Driver provides the basic functionality that is necessary to operate the product. It consists of no other software that can enhance the product’s performance or output.
Full Feature Software/Driver
A Full Feature Software/Driver includes the basic driver functionality plus additional software that can enhance the product’s capabilities and overall experience. This is the recommended driver, when available.
- Expand allCollapse allWhy do I need to download a driver?Why do I need to download a driver?
In general, installing newer versions of drivers or other software can enhance the overall performance of your product as well as add new features. Updating drivers and software can also fix problems. Typically, the driver available for download on the HP Web site is the most up to date.
Your HP printer doesn’t know what to do without a driver to manage it. Without a driver to execute your commands, a printer can't do anything. It needs guidance.
Also, drivers help computers identify and run installed hardware (printer). Without drivers, computers cannot distinguish between a sound card and a modem. Most computer devices and peripherals need drivers to run, which means that computer accessories, like printers, also need drivers to function.
Choosing and installing the correct drivers for your printer is often a key component of computer system configuration.
- Expand allCollapse allWhy is my operating system not listed on the software and driver download page?Why is my operating system not listed on the software and driver download page?
If your operating system is not listed, HP does not currently have software or driver downloads available for your product for that operating system, or they are not available in the language you have chosen.
Here is an option if no downloads are listed for your operating system:
Try installing the printer using the “Add New Hardware” wizard in Windows operating systems. Sometimes drivers for printers are pre-installed in the operating system and don’t require downloading a new driver.
- Expand allCollapse allWhat do I do if I switch to a different operating system? What do I do if I switch to a different operating system?
Here are the basic steps for getting your HP printer to work with your new operating system:
Set up the hardware for the product. Do not connect the USB cable until you are prompted to do so.
Remove any previous HP print drivers installed on the computer.
Install the driver for the new operating system. See the earlier FAQ on this page about where to get drivers for your product. Or, you can download the latest available driver here: Get Software and Drivers.
- Expand allCollapse allI am trying to set up ePrint with my printer. How do I get started? I am trying to set up ePrint with my printer. How do I get started?
HP has customized ePrint support available for your specific ePrint capable printer. Visit HP Customer Care for the latest updates, product-specific support, and how to use ePrint.
- Expand allCollapse allWhat if my printer isn't working after installation? What if my printer isn't working after installation?
HP has customized support available for your post-installation questions. Visit HP Customer Care for the latest support options specific to your printer. There, you'll be able to choose from several categories for support:
Solve a problem. Find solutions to issues with your HP printer. Getting started. Setup, install, or verify installation of your product. How to. Enhance your printer's performance with details on how to use and maintain. Product information. Get product specifications, warranty, supplies, parts, and accessories. Manuals. Download your printer's user guides and documentation. FAQs. Frequently asked questions specific to your printer. Automated Utilities. Tools to help you troubleshoot. Software and Driver Downloads. Download or order available software and drivers for your printer.
- INSTALL HELP
- HP Printer Install Wizard The HP Printer Install Wizard automatically finds and installs the best Windows printer driver for your product (Windows 7 and Windows 8 only).
- HP Print and Scan Doctor The Print and Scan Doctor diagnoses and helps resolve common printing, scanning, and connectivity problems.
- Get Software and Drivers Get the newest software and drivers for your HP printer.
- HP Printer Install Wizard