HP and Staffordshire University launch new partnership to support global growth
Bracknell, January 29, 2013 - HP today announced the launch of a new academic partnership with Staffordshire University, a programme which is designed to equip students with business-ready IT skills that are in deficit within the industry.
HP will support the University in its drive to become a leading international institution, aiming to give students the chance to study abroad and encouraging participation of greater numbers of international students.
The HP-Staffordshire partnership will help equip students with the skills they need in an increasingly global market. With operations in over 170 countries HP will not only provide Staffordshire University with IT technology and solutions, but will help facilitate global opportunities for students through its international network and partners.
The partnership will encompass:
• Sector-leading joint degrees – HP and Staffordshire University are currently exploring opportunities of developing a programme of joint degree courses, aiming initially for a BSc in computing with a year abroad in industry – combining academic learning with global industry-recognised accreditations. Representatives from HP and Staffordshire University have recently visited colleagues and partners in China to explore these opportunities together
• Internships for students - Staffordshire students will be offered the opportunity to gain valuable ‘hands-on’ work experience within HP’s business to prepare them for the workplace
• Mentoring and guest lectures - HP’s technical and business employees will provide advice and guidance to students, giving them a unique insight into working life and the route to a successful career within the IT Industry
• Collaborative ventures – HP and Staffordshire University will work to collaborate on research into areas such as networking, sustainability, information security and ‘cloud 7’
• HP Innovation Awards – HP will provide an annual awards programme to inspire Staffordshire students to be the highest performers in their field HP has a key agenda in the UK to support the education and development of young people to increase their global employability. Through its social innovation programme HP is working with training partners, schools and colleges with the aim of improving the IT skills of over 20,000 people across Britain over the next four years. Staffordshire is the fourth university to enter into a strategic partnership with HP following the success of recent collaborations with Buckinghamshire New University, the University of the West of England and De Montfort University.
Nick Wilson, vice president and managing director, HP UK and Ireland, stated: “As technology changes the world around us, universities increasingly must prepare students for a new global workplace. HP is proud to be supporting Staffordshire in its drive to provide students with international opportunities, so that its graduates leave with the right professional skills for employment. We believe the opportunities and expertise HP can offer as a global technology company will make a real difference.”
Staffordshire University Vice Chancellor Professor Michael Gunn said: “We are delighted to be launching this strategic partnership with HP. It brings exciting opportunities for Staffordshire University students to benefit from HP’s world-class expertise and leading global network. The partnership will support our aim for every student to graduate from Staffordshire University with the attitude, skills and essential attributes of employability, enterprise and entrepreneurship to secure a rewarding career and make their mark on the world.”
For further information, photos and video of the launch event contact Staffordshire University Press Office on 01782 294375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About HP Institute
The HP Institute provides an industry leading transferable curriculum for the new HP ATA qualifications across five key areas: Connected Devices (PC, Printing); Networks; Servers and Storage; and Cloud Computing. As well as providing skills across the whole technology stack, the cloud module will provide cross-technology integration information and a foundation in business acumen for IT leaders.
About Staffordshire University
Established in 1992, Staffordshire University has evolved into one of the country's most progressive and forward-thinking learning institutions. Quick to adapt to the needs of students, business, and industry, the University is recognised for its diverse and relevant courses and first-class learning opportunities.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers’ most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com