- Connect with HP
Online CommunitiesLoading... Failed to load community discussions. Please, try to refresh the page.
- Affordable, business-enhancing colour from an HP LaserJet that's easy to manage and use. Produce professional-quality colour marketing materials and more. Maximise your investment with expandability options. Count on HP for energy-saving features.
- Ideal for enterprise and small-business workteams who want professional-quality colour and advanced printer management tools.
Make your business look its best with high-performance colour.
- Create marketing materials with realistic colour and crisp detail thanks to PANTONE® colour matching and HP Easy Color.
- Increase colour accuracy with HP ImageREt 3600 and HP ColorSphere toner technology.
- Achieve low-cost, high-quality printing right out of the box, with a complete set of cartridges – on average, nearly two times more black toner and more than two times the colour toner of leading competitors1.
- Print black text affordably, using an optional high-capacity black print cartridge2,3.
Invest in a printer that's as easy to use as it is to manage.
- Manage jobs directly from the printer’s four-line colour control panel, and easily print from a USB flash drive4.
- Make printing as mobile as you are with HP ePrint – now you can print from virtually anywhere5.
- Keep confidential information secure by requiring a PIN to retrieve print jobs and protect data with the HP High-Performance Secure Hard Disk6.
- Easily control colour usage with HP Color Access Control, and proactively manage printing environments with industry-leading HP Web Jetadmin.
Take advantage of inventive expandability options.
- Easily update, manage and extend printer capabilities, using HP FutureSmart Firmware.
- Take advantage of the HP Solutions Business Partners programme, enabling you to access HP certified solutions from industry-leading partners.
- Incorporate optional productivity and security solutions easily, using the hardware integration pocket4,7.
- Improve productivity: this workhorse colour laser printer gives you up to 1,100-sheet capacity to save time and complete large print jobs without reloading8.
Enjoy outstanding energy and paper savings.
- Reduce energy use by 19% to 66% by setting the Auto-On/Auto-Off mode9. Save even more energy with Instant-on Technology10 which speeds warm-up and cool-down times.
- Collect data, control settings and create useful reports using HP EcoSMART Fleet.
- Save time with convenient cartridge installation, and get free, easy cartridge recycling11.
- Conserve resources and get up to 50% paper-savings using automatic two-sided printing4.
1 Based on the amount of black and colour toner that ships with the printer, and the majority of top competitive printers by market share as reported by Gap Intelligence as of 8/1/11.
2 Compared with HP LaserJet Enterprise P3015 series. Assuming customer is printing at least 30 percent of total pages in colour with content similar to the colour ISO/IEC 19798 test suite (www.iso.org/jtc1/sc28) and overall average job length of three pages. Yields established using ISO/IEC test standards. Actual yields and costs vary considerably depending on images printed, number of colour pages printed, and other factors.
3 The HP 500X Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge not included; please purchase separately.
4 Automatic two-sided printing, walk-up USB and hardware integration pocket available only on the HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551dn printer and HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551xh printer.
5 Requires an Internet connection to the printer. Feature works with any connected Internet- and email-capable device. Print times may vary. Some HP LaserJets may require a firmware upgrade. For a list of supported documents, and image types, see www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter. And for additional solutions, see www.hp.com/go/mobile-printing-solutions.
6 The HP High-Performance Secure Hard Disk available only on the HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551xh printer.
7 Solutions deployed through the hardware integration pocket may require additional purchase.
8 The 1 x 500 sheet feeder may be purchased separately for the HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551n and dn. Additional tray can be added to n and dn models only.
9 Energy saving based on internal HP testing of Auto-On/Auto-Off setting compared to default setting. Minimum savings based on a 45-minute sleep delay. Maximum savings based on a 1-minute sleep delay. Actual results may vary.
10 Compared with products that use traditional fusing.
11 Programme availability varies. HP print cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners programme. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit www.hp.com/recycle.
- Print speed black:
Normal:Up to 32 ppm
- Print speed color:
Normal:Up to 32 ppm
- (Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity. )
- First page out (ready)
Black:As fast as 11 sec
Color:As fast as 11 sec
- Print quality black (best):
- Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Print quality color (best):
- Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Duty cycle (monthly, A4)
Up to 75000 pages
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups. )
- Recommended monthly page volume:
- 1500 to 5000
- Recommended monthly page volume note:
- HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.
- Print technology:
- Processor speed:
- 800 MHz
- Print languages:
- HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5c (HP PCL 5c driver available from the Web only), HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, native PDF printing (v 1.4)
- 4-line LCD (colour graphics)
- HP ePrint capability:
- Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint
- Wireless capability:
- Optional, enabled with purchase of a hardware accessory
- Connectivity, standard:
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Host port
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Device port
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000T network port
- 1 Hardware Integration Pocket
- 2 internal USB Host ports
- 1 Hi-speed USB 2.0 host port for walk-up USB printing
- Connectivity, optional:
- HP Jetdirect ew2500 Wireless Print Server J8021A, HP Jetdirect 2700w USB Wireless Print Server J8026A (available in early 2012)
- Network ready:
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
- Minimum system requirements
Microsoft® Windows® 7; Windows Vista®; Windows XP® (SP2 or higher), Server 2003 (SP1 or higher), Server 2008, Server 2008 R2: 200 MB available hard disk space; operating system compatible hardware system requirements, see http://www.microsoft.com;
Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6; 150 MB available hard disk space; operating system compatible hardware system requirements, see: http://www.apple.com
- Compatible operating systems:
- Microsoft® Windows® 7
- Windows Vista®
- Windows XP® (SP2+), Server 2003 (SP1+), Server 2008 (all 32-bit and 64-bit), Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
- Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6
- Citrix® and Windows® Terminal Services (see System Administrator’s Guide at http://www.hp.com/go/upd, Documentation tab for latest support)
- Novell® (see http://www.novell.com/iprint for latest support)
- Linux (see http://www.hplip.net)
- UNIX (see http://www.hp.com/go/unix, http://www.hp.com/go/unixmodelscripts, and http://www.hp.com/go/jetdirectunix_software)
- SAP device types (see http://www.hp.com/go/sap/drivers and www.hp.com/go/sap/print)
- Memory, standard:
- 1 GB (1024 MB)
- Memory, maximum:
- 1 GB (1024 MB)
- Hard disk:
- Standard, 250 GB minimum (AES 128 encryption)
- Paper handling input, standard:
- 100-sheet multipurpose tray, 500-sheet input tray 2, 500-sheet heavy media input tray 3
- Paper handling output, standard:
- 250-sheet output bin
- Duplex printing:
- Automatic (standard)
- Media sizes supported:
- Tray 1: A4, RA4, A5, B5 (JIS), B6 (JIS), 10 x 15 cm, A6, envelopes (B5, C5 ISO, C6, DL ISO); Tray 2: A4, A5, B5 (JIS), B6 (JIS), 10 x 15 cm, A6; Tray 3: A4, A5, B5 (JIS)
- Media sizes, custom:
- Tray 1: 76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mm; Tray 2: 102 x 148.5 to 216 x 297 mm; Tray 3: 148.5 x 216 to 210 x 356 mm
- Media types:
- Paper (plain, light, bond, recycled, mid-weight, heavy, mid-weight glossy, heavy glossy, extra heavy, extra heavy glossy, cardstock, card glossy) colour transparency, labels, letterhead, envelope, preprinted, prepunched, coloured, rough, opaque film, user-defined
- Supported media weight:
- Tray 1: 60 to 216 g/m² (plain paper), 105 to 220 g/m² (glossy paper); Tray 2: 60 to 163 g/m² (plain paper), 105 to 220 g/m² (glossy paper); Tray 3: 60 to 176 g/m² (plain paper), 105 to 220 g/m² (glossy paper)
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- Input voltage: 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 10%), 50 Hz (+/- 2 Hz), 6 A
- Power consumption
605 watts (printing), 51 watts (standby), 6.9 watts (sleep), 1 watt (auto-off), 0.3 watts (manual-off); Typical Electricity Consumption (TEC): 4.053 kWh/Week
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages; this will damage the printer and void the product warranty. Power consumption in Auto-Off mode depends on customer network switch capability, user configuration and network activity. Off-mode power may vary while checking network packets for print jobs.)
- Energy efficiency:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- Operating temperature range:
- 10 to 30ºC
- Operating humidity range:
- 20 to 60% RH
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Dimensions (W x D x H)
- 514 x 491 x 565 mm (20.2 x 19.3 x 22.2 in)
- Maximum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 824 x 740 x 565 mm
- 42.2 kg (92.84 lb)
- Package dimensions (W x D x H):
- 755 x 600 x 725 mm
- Package weight:
- 48 kg
- What's in the box:
- HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551xh printer
- four preinstalled HP LaserJet toner cartridges (yield ~5,500 pages black and ~6,000 pages colour)
- toner collection unit
- in-box documentation (Getting Started Guide)
- software drivers and documentation on CD-ROM
- power cable
- HP Jetdirect Gigabit Ethernet embedded print server
- hardware integration pocket
- 100-sheet multipurpose tray 1
- 500-sheet input tray 2
- 500-sheet heavy media input tray 3
- built-in automatic two-sided printing
- HP Secure High Performance Hard Disk (AES 128 encryption)
- Walk-up USB printing Port
- Cable included:
- No, please purchase USB cable separately
- One-year, next-day, on-site limited warranty. Warranty and support options vary by product, country and local legal requirements.
- Post warranty repair & maintenance
- Please visit our website:
- Related links
- Technical Support / Manuals
- Eco Highlights
• Save energy – HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology turns your printer on when you need it and off when you don’t.
• Reduce energy use with Instant-on Technology.
• Free, convenient cartridge recycling in 53 countries.
 HP Auto-On and Auto-Off capabilities subject to printer and settings.
 Compared with products that use traditional fusing.
• Please recycle your computing hardware and printing supplies. HP asset management and recycling services make responsible disposal easy.
- Quick Links
Rate & Review HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551xh
(0.0 average / 0 RATINGS / 0 RECOMMENDS)
Your review has been submitted. Please note that your review may need to be reviewed and may not post immediately Sorry, your review can't be submitted. Please, try again later. rate & write a review
HP's WEEE registration number is WEE/EJ0076US This means that HP is a registered producer under the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2007. Read more about recycling your old IT equipment
Please check the product specifications under Datasheet/Documents. If the product is in compliance with EN 55022 Class A, use of the product in residential areas may cause (under unfavourable conditions) interference to TV/radio reception.
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.