HP Desktop workstations
Expand your power
HP Z420 Workstation
Performance you want. Value you need. The HP Z420 gives you professional expandability in an accessible, tool-free mini-tower form factor—all at a great price. With up to 8 discrete processing cores, the latest processing and I/O power from Intel®, and the latest graphics technology from leading graphics providers, the HP Z420 has the power you need to get the job done.
Move data faster than ever.12
of 1866MHz DDR3 memory6
Intel® Xeon® processors
HP Z420 Workstation
Designed with ease.
Enjoy the control that comes with being able to swap out parts or make upgrades on your own. The HP Z420 Workstation features a smart chassis that offers tool-less access to the inside, easy configurability, and an optional handle for seamless deployment. And with optional liquid cooling designed to deliver whisper-quiet performance, the HP Z420 is built to make your work flow more smoothly.
- View full HP Z420 Workstation specsHide full specsView full HP Z420 Workstation specs
Form Factor Convertible minitower Available Operating Systems
- Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
- Windows 8 Pro Downgrade to Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
- Windows 8 Pro Downgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Windows 7 Professional 32-bit*
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit*
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit*
- HP Linux Installer Kit
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (90 day license)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop/Workstation (1 year paper license; no preinstalled OS)
- ProcessorGHzCacheMemoryCoresHyper-ThreadingIntel® vPro™ TechnologyIntel® Turbo Boost Technology5
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1680 v23.025 MB1866 MHz8YY4, 9
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650 v22.620 MB1866 MHz8YY4, 8
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1660 v23.715 MB1866 MHz6YY2, 3
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v23.512 MB1866 MHz6YY1, 4
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1620 v23.710 MB1866 MHz4YY0, 2
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1607 v23.010 MB1600 MHz4NYN/A
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W3.120 MB1600 MHz8YY3, 7
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-26652.420 MB1600 MHz8YY4, 7
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-16603.315 MB1600 MHz6YY3, 6
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-16503.212 MB1600 MHz6YY3, 6
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-16203.610 MB1600 MHz4YY2, 3
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-16073.010 MB1066 MHz4NYN/A
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-16032.810 MB1066 MHz4NYN/A
Chipset Intel® C602 Chipset Memory6 8 DIMM slots, Up to 64 GB ECC unbuffered DDR3 1866 MHz; 4 channels per CPU Drive Controllers Integrated 6-channel SATA controller: 2 ports 6 Gb/s + 4 ports 3 Gb/s, RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 capable; Optional SAS controller: LSI 9212-4i 4-port SAS/SATA 6 Gb/s, RAID 0, 1, 10 capable Storage7, 8 Up to (4) 3.5-inch 7200 rpm SATA drives: 250, 500 GB, 1, 2, 3 TB, 12 TB max; Up to (4) 2.5-inch 10K rpm SATA drives: 250, 500 GB, 1 TB, 4 TB max; Up to (4) 2.5-inch 10K rpm SAS drives: 300, 600 GB, 2.4 TB max; Up to (4) 3.5-inch 15K rpm SAS drives: 300, 450, 600 GB, 2.4 TB max; Up to (4) 2.5-inch SATA solid state drives: 128, 256, 512 GB,** 1.5 TB max. Note: Fourth 3.5-inch drive occupies one external 5.25-inch bay. Fourth 2.5-inch drive is installed into top optical bay handle. Optical Storage9, 10 DVD-ROM, DVD+/-RW DL Super-Multi, Blu-ray Writer, 22-in-1 Media Card Reader Drive Bays 3 external 5.25-inch bays, 3 internal 3.5-inch HDD bays (4 total when using 5.25-inch bay converters); up to 4 eSATA Expansion Slots 2 PCI Express Gen3 x16 mechanical/electrical; 1 PCI Express Gen3 x8 mechanical/electrical; 1 PCI Express Gen2 x8 mechanical/x4 electrical;
1 PCI Express Gen2 x4 mechanical/x1 electrical; 1 Legacy PCI
- Professional 2D:NVIDIA NVS 300, NVIDIA NVS 310, NVIDIA NVS 315, NVIDIA NVS 510
- Entry 3D:NVIDIA Quadro 410, NVIDIA Quadro K600, AMD FirePro™ V3900
- Mid-range 3D:NVIDIA Quadro K2000
- High-end 3D:NVIDIA Quadro K4000, NVIDIA Quadro K5000, NVIDIA Quadro 6000, NVIDIA Quadro K6000 (AMO only), AMD FirePro™ W7000, NVIDIA Tesla C2075, NVIDIA Tesla K20c
Audio Integrated Intel/Realtek HD ALC262 Audio; Creative Recon3D PCIe Audio Card; optional HP Thin USB Powered Speakers Network Integrated Intel GbE LAN; Optional Intel NIC; Optional Broadcom NIC; Optional HP 361T PCIe Dual Port Gigabit NIC; Optional HP X520 10GbE Dual Port Adapter; Optional HP 10GbE SFP+ SR Transceiver; Infineon TPM 1.2 Controller Ports
- Front:2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394a standard, 1 microphone in, 1 headphone out, HP 22-in-1 Media Card Reader (optional)
- Rear:2 USB 3.0, 4 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394a standard , 2 IEEE 1394b ports via optional add-in PCIe card, 1 audio in, 1 audio out, 1 microphone in, 2 PS/2, 1 RJ-45 to integrated Gigabit LAN, 1 serial via optional adapter
- Internal:6 USB 2.0, supports up to three HP Internal USB Port Kits (one two-port kit on each 2x5 header)
Input Devices PS/2 standard keyboard; USB standard keyboard; USB Smart Card Keyboard; PS/2 optical scroll mouse; USB 2-button optical scroll mouse; USB 3-button optical mouse; USB SpaceExplorer; USB SpacePilot; USB Laser Scroll Mouse Dimensions (H x W x D) 17.63 x 7.0 x 17.5 in (44.76 x 17.78 x 44.52 cm) Power Supply 600 Watt 90% efficient power supply Compatible Displays (screen size diagonally measured) HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional Display (24-inch diagonal widescreen), HP ZR30w 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor, HP ZR2740w 27-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor, HP ZR2440w 24-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor, HP ZR2240w 21.5-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor, HP ZR2040w 20-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor Warranty11 Limited three-year Mon-Fri 8-5 next business day, parts, labor and 24x7 phone support, terms and conditions may vary. Extendable up to five years.
Enjoy superb performance.
Achieve the highest performance available in a single-processor personal workstation. The HP Z420 Workstation offers your choice of Intel® Xeon® E5-1600 and E5-2600 series processors—with base clock frequencies of up to 3.6GHz and the new Intel® C602 chipset. Delivering support for up to 8 cores of processing power, the HP Z420 never slows you down. And thanks to Thunderbolt™ technology, you'll transfer data at lightning-fast speeds with the ability to connect to high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices over a single Thunderbolt™ cable.
Never compromise on graphics.
Built to support next generation PCIe Gen3 graphics, the HP Z420 currently offers a breadth of AMD and NVIDIA® professional graphics cards from Pro 2D to high-end 3D, up to the NVIDIA® Quadro® K6000. With a 600W, 90% efficient power supply and support for up to 8 HP Performance Displays, the HP Z420 can maximize your productivity with the freedom of seeing and doing more all at once.
Get the power to realize your vision with the new family of NVIDIA Quadro® K-series professional graphics featuring NVIDIA's most powerful GPU architecture ever—NVIDIA® Kepler.™ Whether you're creating revolutionary products or telling spectacularly vivid visual stories, Quadro® helps you do it better and faster. Offering support for up to 8 independent displays and robust OpenGL support, NVIDIA® graphics are fully certified and optimized with industry-leading applications from AutoDesk, Solidworks, Adobe®, and many others. Plus, with the NVIDIA® Tesla K20c as part of NVIDIA's Maximus solution, the HP Z420 can efficiently fill your high-performance GPU computing needs.
Boost productivity with the serious power and performance of AMD FirePro™ professional graphics cards for the HP Z420 Workstation. Featuring extensive application certifications, support for up to 6 independent displays, and HP-qualified professional graphics drivers with full OpenGL and DirectX support, AMD FirePro™ cards are specifically built for outstanding performance. To maximize graphics performance, the HP Z420 is ready to support AMD's PCIe Gen3 graphics cards.
Screen images courtesy of Autodesk
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 8. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows 8 functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com.
Intel, Intel Logo, Intel Core, Intel Inside, Intel Inside Logo, Xeon, and Xeon Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
AMD is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
NVIDIA is a trademark of NVIDIA Corporation
*This system may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. See microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details.
**Positions #1 and #2 only.
- Multi-Core technologies are designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefits; Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of these technologies.
- 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See intel.com/info/em64t for more information.
- Intel's numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- Although the Intel Xeon E5-2600 processor family supports dual processors, the HP Z420 Workstation does not support dual processor configurations.
- The specifications shown in this in this column represent the following: (all core maximum turbo steps, one core maximum turbo steps). Turbo boost stepping occurs in 100MHz increments. Processors that do not have turbo functionality are denoted as N/A. Intel® Turbo Boost technology requires a PC with a processor with Intel® Turbo Boost capability. Intel® Turbo Boost performance varies depending on hardware, software, and overall system configuration. Please visit intel.com/technology/turboboost for more information. NOTE: Although the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 family supports dual processors, the HP Z420 Workstation does not support dual configurations.
- Each processor supports up to 4 channels of DDR3 memory. To realize full performance at least 1 DIMM must be inserted into each channel.
- SATA hardware RAID is not supported on Linux systems. The Linux kernel, with built-in software RAID, provides excellent functionality and performance. It is a good alternative to hardware-based RAID. Please visit h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00060684/c00060684.pdf for RAID capabilities with Linux.
- For hard drives, 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less.
- Actual speeds may vary. Does not permit copying of commercially available DVD movies or other copyright protected materials. Intended for creation and storage of your original material and other lawful uses. Note that DVD-RAM cannot read or write to 2.6 GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided – Version 1.0 media.
- As Blu-ray contains new technologies, certain disc, digital connection, compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require a DVI or HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HD DVD movies cannot be played on this workstation.
- HP Care Pack Services extend service contracts beyond the standard warranties. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. To choose the right level of service for your HP product, use the HP Care Pack Services Lookup Tool at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool Additional HP Care Pack Services information by product is available at www.hp.com/go/carepack. Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location.
- Thunderbolt is new technology. Install all the latest drivers for your Thunderbolt device before connecting to the Thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt device (sold separately) must be compatible with Windows. To determine whether your device is Thunderbolt Certified for Windows, see https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products. Thunderbolt 2 for the HP Z420, Z620, and Z820 Workstations is expected to be available in early 2014.