HP Desktop workstations
More power to you
HP Z840 Workstation
Push your computing boundaries with the HP Z840 Workstation and keep up with your biggest projects. Built for high-end computing and visualization, the HP Z840 delivers outstanding performance in one of the industry’s most expandable chassis. Primed to perform, the HP Z840 allows you to achieve the performance you need with the ability to support two next generation Intel® Xeon® processors for up to 36 total processor cores in one system.3
with Intel® Xeon® processors
Move data faster than ever.14
HP Z840 Workstation
Prepare to be spectacular.
Take on the hardest projects with HP’s highest performing workstation. Get the best of HP Z DNA with maximized memory and internal storage capacity that enables you to create work that really makes a statement. Take your productivity up a notch and get serious about graphics with professional graphics cards from both NVIDIA® and AMD®. And move multitasking to a new level with the ability to easily connect and work on up to eight displays.15
- View full HP Z840 Workstation specs Hide full specs View full Z840 SFF Workstation specs
Form Factor Rackable minitower Available Operating Systems1,2
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64
- Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64)
- Windows 7 Professional 64 (National Academic)
- HP Installer Kit for Linux
Processor Family Intel® Xeon® E5 v3 processor Processors3,4
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2699 v3 (2.3 GHz, 45 MB cache, 18 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2697 v3 (2.6 GHz, 35 MB cache, 14 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2695 v3 (2.3 GHz, 35 MB cache, 14 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2690 v3 (2.6 GHz, 30 MB cache, 12 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2687W v3 (3.1 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores, Intel® vPro)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2683 v3 (2.0 GHz, 35 MB cache, 14 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 v3 (2.5 GHz, 30 MB cache, 12 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2670 v3 (2.3 GHz, 30 MB cache, 12 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2667 v3 (3.2 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2660 v3 (2.6 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 v3 (2.3 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2643 v3 (3.4 GHz, 20 MB cache, 6 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2640 v3 (2.6 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2637 v3 (3.5 GHz, 15 MB cache, 4 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2630 v3 (2.4 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2623 v3 (3.0 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2620 v3 (2.4 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2609 v3 (1.9 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores, Intel® vPro™)
- Intel® Xeon® E5-2603 v3 (1.6 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores, Intel® vPro™)
Chipset Intel® C612 Memory12,13
- 16 DIMM slots, up to 512GB, 8-channel ECC DDR4, up to 2133MHz, 4 channels per CPU
- Actual memory speed dependent on processor. Registered and load-reduced DIMMS may not be mixed.
- 8 DIMM (with 1 processor) and 16 DIMM (with 2 processors)
- 300 GB up to 600 GB SAS (15000 rpm)
- 300 GB up to 1.2 TB SAS (10000 rpm)
- 500 GB up to 3 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
- 500 GB SATA SED
- 128 GB up to 1 TB SATA SSD
- 256 GB SATA SE SSD
- 256 GB up to 512 GB HP Z Turbo Drive (PCIe SSD)
Optical Storage6,7 Slim SATA DVD-ROM; Slim SATA SuperMulti DVD writer; Slim SATA Blu-ray writer Additional Storage 1 15-in-1 media card reader (optional) Available Graphics
- Professional 2D: NVIDIA NVS 310 (512 MB); NVIDIA NVS 315 (1 GB); NVIDIA NVS 510 (2 GB)
- Entry 3D: NVIDIA Quadro K420 (1 GB); NVIDIA Quadro K620 (2 GB); AMD FirePro W2100 (2 GB)
- Mid-range 3D: AMD FirePro W5100 (4 GB); NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (4 GB)
- High-end 3D: NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (4 GB); NVIDIA Quadro K5200 (8 GB); NVIDIA Quadro K6000 (12 GB)
Audio Integrated IDT 92HD94 audio Communications 8 Integrated Intel I210AT PCIe GbE; Integrated Intel I218LM PCIe GbE; Intel Ethernet I210-T1 PCIe NIC (optional); HP X520 10 GbE Dual Port Adapter (optional); HP 10 GbE SFP+SR Transceiver (optional); HP 361T PCIe Dual Port Gigabit NIC (optional); Intel 7260 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe WLAN (optional) Expansion Slots 2 PCIe Gen3 x16; 1 PCIe Gen3 x16 (when 2nd CPU installed); 1 PCIe Gen2 x4 (when 1 CPU installed) OR PCIe Gen3 x8 (when 2nd CPU installed); 1 PCIe Gen3 x8; 1 PCIe Gen3 x4; 1 PCIe Gen2 x1; 1 PCIe Gen2 x 4 when 1 CPU is installed. Transforms to PCIe Gen3 x8 when 2nd CPU installed. The PCIe x8 connectors are open ended, allowing a PCIe x16 card to be seated in the slot. Ports and Connectors
- Front: 4 USB 3.0; 1 combo headset; 1 microphone
- Rear: 4 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; 1 serial; 2 PS/2; 2 RJ-45; 1 audio line in; 1 audio line out
- Internal: 2 USB 2.0; 1 USB 3.0 Internal USB 2.0 available by the 2x5 header. Internal USB 3.0 available by the 2x10 header.
Drive Bays (Internal) Four 3.5" Drive Bays (External) Two 5.25"; One slim ODD Input Devices9 HP USB SmartCard Keyboard; HP 2.4 GHz Wireless Keyboard & Mouse; HP PS/2 Keyboard; HP USB Keyboard; HP USB Optical 3-Button Mouse; HP PS/2 Mouse; HP USB Optical Mouse; HP USB 1000 dpi Laser Mouse; HP SpaceExplorer 3D USB Controller; HP SpacePilot Pro 3D USB Intelligent Controller Software HP Performance Advisor; HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS); Cyberlink Media Suite & PowerDVD; Foxit PhantomPDF Express; Buy Office Security9 HP Chassis Intrusion Sensor; HP Security Cable with Kensington Lock Power 850 W 88% efficient, wide-ranging, active PFC; 1125 W 90% efficient, wide-ranging, active PFC Dimensions (H x W x D)
- 8 x 20.7 x 17.5 in
- 20.3 x 52.5 x 44.4 cm
- 46.7 lb
- 21.1 kg
- (Exact weight depends upon configuration.)
Environmental Certification11 Low halogen Energy Efficiency Compliance10 ENERGY STAR® qualified and EPEAT® registered configurations available Compatible Displays HP Z Display Z30i 30-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor; HP Z Display Z27i 27-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor; HP Z Display Z24i 24-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor; HP Z Display Z23i 23-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor; HP Z Display Z22i 21.5-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor; HP DreamColor Z27x Professional Display; HP DreamColor Z24x Professional Display Warranty Protected by HP Services, including a limited 3 years parts, 3 years labor, and 3 years onsite service (3/3/3) standard warranty. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
Experience expansion like you never dreamed possible. With 7 PCIe slots, up to 10 internal drive bays,* and 16 memory slots supporting up to 2TB of memory2 the HP Z840 can do it all. Maximize your time and increase your capabilities with built-in USB, SATA and SAS ports. Set a new performance curve and reduce boot up, calculation, and graphics response times and revolutionize how you handles large files with the HP Z Turbo Drive9. And thanks to Thunderbolt™ technology, you'll transfer data at lightning-fast speeds with the ability to connect to high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices over a single Thunderbolt™ cable. Ready to get going?
And keep going.
Reach your goals. The sleek and sturdy HP Z840 Workstation features uncompromised reliability, a tool-less chassis to facilitate upgrades, a lockable side panel to secure your valuable components and data, and handles to easily move the system around. The system’s elegant industrial design also boasts low acoustics, dual integrated Gb Ethernet, and aluminum panels. And this deskside powerhouse is also 5U rack mountable.
* Target availability date early 2015
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Intel, Intel Logo, Intel Core, Intel Inside, Intel Inside Logo, Xeon, and Xeon Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- Not all features are available in all editions or versions of Windows. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com.
- This system is preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 8.1 Pro software. You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version. You must back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of your data.
- Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing system required. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- Some vPro functionality of this technology, such as Intel® Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Availability of future "virtual appliances" applications for Intel vPro technology is dependent on 3rd party software providers. Microsoft Windows required.
- For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 20 GB of system disk is reserved for Windows 7 and higher system recovery software.
- Duplication of copyrighted material is strictly prohibited. Actual speeds may vary. Double Layer media compatibility will widely vary with some home DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. Note that DVD-RAM cannot read or write to 2.6GB Single Sided/5.2 Double Sided-Version 1.0 Media.
- With Blu-ray, certain disc, digital connection, compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require a DVI or HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HD-DVD movies cannot be played on this Desktop PC.
- Wireless cards are optional or add-on features and requires separately purchased wireless access point and internet service. Availability of public wireless access points limited.
- Optional or add-on feature
- EPEAT® registered where applicable. EPEAT registration varies by country. See www.epeat.net for registration status by country.
- External power supplies, power cords, cables and peripherals are not low halogen. Service parts obtained after purchase may not be low halogen.
- Only Registered and LR ECC DIMMs are supported. Do not install memory modules into memory slots if corresponding processor is not installed. Dual processor configurations with memory modules installed for only one processor is not supported. RDIMM (Registered) and LRDIMM (Load Reduced) memory cannot be mixed. All memory installed in the system must be either RDIMM or LRDIMM.
- Available with 128GB DIMMs. Expected availability late 2016.
- Thunderbolt is an optional or after-market feature. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt device (sold separately) must be compatible with Windows. To determine whether your device is Thunderbolt Certified for Windows, see https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products.
- Support for up to eight displays requires purchase of two graphics cards that support up to 4 displays simultaneously. Displays sold separately.