HP Mobile Workstations
HP’s ultimate in mobile performance
HP ZBook 17 Mobile Workstation
Wish you could take your desktop workstation on the road with you? The HP ZBook 17 offers HP’s ultimate in power plus portability with a 17.3" diagonal screen, massive scalability and configurability, and includes all the latest power-packed features to help you showcase your creativity on the go.
Dual Thunderbolt™ 3
HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
Carry it with confidence
Push the boundaries of performance without pushing the boundaries of portability. HP's most powerful mobile workstation just got 25% thinner and 11% lighter3 than the previous generation, with a stunning magnesium aluminum facelift. Enjoy Intel® Xeon® processor options,1 up to 64 GB ECC memory,4,8 dual 1 TB HP Z Turbo Drive G24* for up to 4 TB2 of total storage, dual Thunderbolt™ 3, and optional HP DreamColor UHD or FHD touch displays.4*
And cut the clutter with a single cable connection to the HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3 to quickly power, connect and transfer data. Learn more about this exciting new docking solution.
- View full ZBook 17 G3 specs Hide full specs View full ZBook 17 G3 specs
- Windows 10 Pro 64
- Windows 10 Home 64
- Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)
- Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro 64)
- Intel® Xeon® E3-1575M v5 with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics P580*
- Intel® Xeon® E3-1535M v5 with Intel® HD graphics P530 (2.90 GHz, up to 3.80 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 2133 MHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i7-6820HQ with Intel® HD graphics 530 (2.70 GHz, up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 2133 MHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ with Intel® HD graphics 530 (2.60 GHz, up to 3.50 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 2133 MHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i5-6440HQ with Intel® HD graphics 530 (2.60 GHz, up to 3.50 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 2133 MHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, 4 cores)
Chipset Mobile Intel® CM236 Maximum Memory4 64 GB DDR4-2133 ECC SDRAM or 64 GB DDR4-2133 Non-ECC SDRAM
(Transfer rates up to 2133 MT/s. Non-ECC memory only available with Intel® Core™ procesors. ECC memory only available with Intel® Xeon® processors.)
- 500 GB up to 1 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
- 500 GB SATA SED (7200 rpm)
- 500 GB SATA SED FIPS 140-2 (7200 rpm)
- 500 GB (8 GB cache) SATA SSHD
- 256 GB up to 512 GB* M.2 SATA SED SSD
- 256 GB up to 1 TB* HP Z Turbo Drive G2 (NVMe PCIe SSD)
Available graphics Integrated: Intel® HD graphics 530; Intel® HD graphics P530; Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics P580*
Discrete: NVIDIA® Quadro® M5000M (8 GB dedicated GDDR5); NVIDIA® Quadro® M4000M (4 GB dedicated GDDR5); NVIDIA® Quadro® M3000M (4 GB dedicated GDDR5); NVIDIA® Quadro® M2000M (4 GB dedicated GDDR5); NVIDIA® Quadro® M1000M (2 GB dedicated GDDR5); AMD FirePro™ W6150M (4 GB dedicated GDDR5)
(Intel® HD Graphics 530 integrated on Core™ i7 and Core™ i5 processors. Intel® HD Graphics P530 and Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics P580 integrated on Xeon® processors.)
Audio Bang & Olufsen HD audio. Integrated stereo speakers and microphone (dual-microphone array when equipped with optional webcam). Button for volume mute, functions keys for volume up and down. Combo microphone-in/stereo headphone-out jack. Networking WLAN: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo; Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) non-vPro Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo
WWAN: HP lt4120 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X5 LTE Mobile Broadband Module; HP hs3110 HSPA+ Intel® Mobile Broadband Module
Expansion slots 1 SD UHS-II flash media; 1 smart card reader
(SD supports next generation secure digital and is backward compatible to SDHC, SDXC)
Ports and connectors Left side: 1 RJ-45; 2 USB 3.0; 1 USB 3.0 (charging)
Right side: 1 power connector; 2 Thunderbolt™ 3; 1 VGA; 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 USB 3.0; 1 stereo microphone-in/headphone-out combo
Input devices HP Spill Resistant Keyboard (backlit with function key control)
Image sensor touchpad with on/off button, two-way scroll, gestures, three pick buttons. Pointstick with three additional pointstick buttons.
Camera12 720p HD webcam Software14,15 HP Mobile Workstations are shipped with a variety of software titles including: HP Performance Advisor, HP Remote Graphics Software, HP Velocity, HP Client Security, HP Drive Encryption (FIPS 140-2), Microsoft Security Essentials, HP ePrint Driver, HP Recovery Manager, Foxit PhantomPDF Express. Please refer to this product's quick spec document for a full list of preinstalled software. Security16,17,18 Integrated smart card reader; One-step logon; Common Criteria EAL4+ Augmented Certified Discrete TPM 1.2/2.0 Embedded Security Chip; Security lock slot; Support for Intel® AT; HP FingerPrint Sensor (optional); Absolute Persistence Module; HP BIOSphere with Sure Start; SATA port disablement (via BIOS); DriveLock and Automatic DriveLock; RAID (available as a configurable option); Serial, parallel, USB enable/disable (via BIOS); Optional USB port disable at factory (user configurable via BIOS); Removable media write/boot control; Power-on password (via BIOS); Setup password (via BIOS) Power 200 W Slim Smart AC adapter (external) HP Long Life 6-cell 96 WHr Li-ion prismatic Dimensions
(w x d x h)
- 16.5 x 11 x 1.2 in
- 420 x 280 x 30 mm
Weight Starting at 6.62 lb
Starting at 3 kg
- 17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA anti-glare LED backlit (1600 x 900)
- 17.3" diagonal FHD UWVA IPS anti-glare LED backlit (1920 x 1080)
- 17.3" diagonal FHD Touch UWVA IPS LED backlit (1920 x 1080)*
- 17.3" diagonal UHD DreamColor UWVA IPS anti-glare + PSR LED backlit (3840 X 2160)*
Energy efficiency compliance19 ENERGY STAR® certified and EPEAT® registered configurations available Environmental certification2020 Low halogen Technical Specifications Footnotes 1 Not all features are available in all editions or versions of Windows. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers, software or BIOS update to take full advantage of Windows functionality. Windows 10 is automatically updated, which is always enabled. ISP fees may apply and additional requirements may apply over time for updates. See http://www.microsoft.com
2 This system is preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 10 Pro software. You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version. You must back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of your data.
3 Multicore is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Performance and clock frequency will vary depending on application workload and your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
4 Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
5 For storage drives GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 30 GB (for Windows 8.1/10) is reserved for system recovery software.
6 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD available in 1H16.
7 512 GB M.2 SATA SED SSD available in 1H16.
8 HP Z Turbo Drive G2 1 TB NVMe PCIe SSD available in 1H16.
9 Thunderbolt™ 3 is new technology. Install all the latest drivers for your Thunderbolt device before connecting the device to the Thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt device (sold separately) must be compatible with Windows. To determine whether your device is Thunderbolt Certified for Windows, see https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products
10 Wireless cards are optional or add-on features and requires separately purchased wireless access point and internet service. Availability of public wireless access points limited. The specifications for the 802.11ac WLAN are draft specifications and are not final. If the final specifications differ from the draft specifications, it may affect the ability of the notebook to communicate with other 802.11ac WLAN devices.
11 HD content required to view HD images.
12 Optional or add-on feature.
13 FHD Touch and UHD DreamColor displays available in 1H16
14 Microsoft Security Essentials requires Windows 7 and internet access.
15 HP ePrint Driver requires an internet connection to HP web-enabled printer and HP ePrint account registration (for a list of eligible printers, supported documents and image types and other HP ePrint details, see www.hp.com/go/businessmobileprinting
16 The Computrace agent is shipped turned off, and must be activated by customers when they purchase a subscription. Subscriptions can be purchased for terms ranging multiple years. Service is limited, check with Absolute for availability outside the U.S.
17 This product ships with TPM 1.2 with option to upgrade to TPM 2.0. Upgrade utility is expected to be available by the end of 2015 via HP Customer Support.
18 BIOS Absolute Persistence module is shipped turned off, and will be activated when customers purchase and activate a subscription. Service may be limited. Check with Absolute for availability outside the U.S. The optional subscription service of Absolute Recovery Guarantee is a limited warranty. Certain conditions apply. For full details visit: http://www.absolute.com/company/legal/agreements/computrace-agreement. If Data Delete is utilized, the Recovery Guarantee payment is null and void. In order to use the Data Delete service, customers must first sign a Pre-Authorization Agreement and either create a PIN or purchase one or more RSA SecurID tokens from Absolute Software.
19 EPEAT® registered where applicable. EPEAT registration varies by country. See www.epeat.net for registration status by country.
20 External power supplies, power cords, cables and peripherals are not low halogen. Service parts obtained after purchase may not be low halogen.
21 Intel® HD graphics 530 is configurable as a standalone graphics option; Intel® HD graphics P530; Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics P580 are only used when NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology is enabled
HP ZBook 17 G2 Mobile Workstation
Refuse to limit your potential
Break down performance barriers with the HP ZBook 17 G2 with Windows 8.11 or Linux offering our highest available Intel processors with quad-core options.3 Get our greatest range of professional graphics and performance features including Thunderbolt™25 and HP Z Turbo Drive PCIe SSD storage. And customize the HP ZBook 17 G2 to meet your demands. Keep large files at your fingertips without sacrificing performance with four internal storage devices with up to 3.2 TB storage2 and 32 GB memory.
- View full ZBook 17 G2 specs Hide full specs View full ZBook 17 G2 specs
Available Operating Systems1,8
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64
- Windows 8.1 64
- Windows 7 Professional 64
- Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64)
- Ubuntu Linux
- FreeDOS 2.0
- Intel® Core™ i7-4940MX with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (3.1 GHz, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.9 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.5 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4610M with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (3 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4340M with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.9 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4310M with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.5 GHz, up to 3.4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4210M with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.6 GHz, up to 3.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Chipset Mobile Intel® QM87 Maximum Memory23, 24
- 32 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM
- 32 GB maximum memory with quad-core processor. 16 GB maximum memory with dual-core processor.
Memory Slots 2 SODIMM (for dual-core processor) or 4 SODIMM (for quad-core processor) Internal storage2
- 500 GB up to 1 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
- 1 TB SATA (5400 rpm)
- 500 GB SATA SED (7200 rpm)
- 500 GB SATA FIPS 140-2 SED (5400 rpm)
- 128 GB up to 512 GB SATA SSD
- 256 GB up to 512 GB SATA SE SSD
- 128 GB up to 256 GB HP Z Turbo Drive (PCIe SSD)
Optical storage9,10 Blu-ray R/RE DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL; Blu-ray ROM DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL; DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Display 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit HD+SVA anti-glare (1600 x 900); 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit FHD WVA anti-glare (1920 x 1080); 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit FHD DreamColor UWVA IPS anti-glare (1920 x 1080) Available Graphics19
- Integrated: Intel HD Graphics 4600
- Discrete: NVIDIA Quadro K5100M (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated); NVIDIA Quadro K4100M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated); NVIDIA Quadro K3100M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated); NVIDIA Quadro K2200M (2 GB dedicated GDDR5); NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated); AMD FirePro 6100M (2 GB dedicated GDDR5)
Audio DTS Studio Sound HD audio (Windows operating systems only); Integrated stereo speakers; Integrated microphone (dual-microphone array when equipped with optional webcam); Button for volume mute, function keys for volume up and down; Combo microphone in/stereo headphone out jack Wireless Technologies11,12
- HP hs3110 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband; HP lt4111 LTE/EV-DO/HSPA+ Qualcomm® Gobi™ 4G; HP lt4112 LTE/HSPA+ Qualcomm® Gobi™ 4G; Intel Dual Band Wireless-NB 7260 802.11a/b/g/n (2x2) WiFi; Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) WiFi and Bluetooth® 4.0 Combo; Intel Dual Band Wireless-AN 7260 802.11a/b/g/n (2x2) WiFi and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo
Communications Integrated Intel I217-LM Gigabit Network Connection Expansion slots
- 1 ExpressCard/54; 1 SD; 1 smart card reader
- (SD supports next generation security digital and is backward compatible to SDHC, SDXC)
Ports and connectors5 3 USB 3.0 (1 charging); 1 USB 2.0; 1 Thunderbolt™ 2; 1 DisplayPort 1.2; 1 stereo microphone-in/headphone-out combo; 1 power connector; 1 RJ-45; 1 docking connector; 1 secondary battery connector; 1 VGA Input device Backlit keyboard with function key control (optional); HP Spill Resistant Keyboard; Touchpad with on/off button, two-way scroll, gestures, three pick buttons; Pointstick with three additional pointstick buttons; Image sensor touchpad Camera13 720p HD webcam (select models) Available Software6,7,14,15,16,17,18 HP Mobile Workstations are shipped with a variety of software titles including: HP Performance Advisor, HP Remote Graphics Software, HP Client Security, HP Drive Encryption (FIPS 140-2), Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Defender, CyberLink Power DVD BD, HP ePrint Driver, HP PageLift. Please refer to this product's quick spec document for a full list of preinstalled software. Security Management20 Integrated Smart Card Reader; HP Spare Key; One-Step Logon; Common Criteria EAL4+ Augmented Certified Discrete TPM 1.2 Embedded Security Chip; Security lock slot; Support for Intel AT; HP FingerPrint Sensor (optional); Computrace with GPS Tracking agent Power
- 200 W Slim Smart AC adapter (external); 230 W Slim Smart AC adapter (external) 8-cell, 83 WHr Li-ion; HP Long Life 8-cell, 75 WHr Li-ion
(w x d x h)
- 16.37 x 10.7 x 1.33 in
- 41.6 x 27.2 x 3.4 cm
- (Height measurement taken at front of notebook.)
- Starting 7.42 lb
- Starting at 3.36 kg
- (Weight varies by configuration and components)
Environmental21 Low halogen Energy Efficiency Compliance22 ENERGY STAR® qualified and EPEAT® registered configurations available Warranty 3-year limited parts, labor and onsite service (3/3/3) warranty. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
Professional grade graphics and unparalleled color confidence
Take advantage of the rich features of ISV Certified AMD FirePro™ and NVIDIA® Quadro® professional graphics with up to 8 GB of video memory designed to tackle the most demanding applications.
Experience color consistency across your entire digital workflow with the optional HP DreamColor display4 available on the HP ZBook 17.
And work virtually anywhere by accessing your workstation or server-based graphic-rich applications and collaborate remotely in real time from your HP ZBook or any PC, thin client or Windows® tablet with HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS).6
Defined by HP Z DNA
Work confidently knowing 30 years of HP Z DNA and extensive testing went into the development of the HP ZBook 17. Enjoy stable software and hardware with extensive ISV certification for your applications and a system design that is reliable, designed to pass MIL-STD 810G testing9, and has endured 120K hours of testing in HP's Total Test Process.
HP’s ZBook Mobile Workstations are also equipped with a complete security solution, enabling robust remote configurability and manageability of your HP ZBooks, automating data protection, and help reduce down time for users and IT due to BIOS attack or corruption, with exclusive HP Sure Start technology.
Optimize your HP ZBook 17 for peak performance with HP Performance Advisor7 which configures your system with updated settings and drivers to help maximize performance also included at no extra charge.
Screen images courtesy of Autodesk, Morgan Motor Company, and The ANT Group.
* Available 1H2016
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The Information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting and additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. Intel, the Intel logo, Intel Core, Core Inside, Xeon and Ultrabook are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. AMD and FirePro are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Screen images courtesy of Autodesk and Murtaza Ahmed.
- Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing system required. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 16GB (for Windows 7) and up to 30GB (for Windows 8.1) of system disk is reserved for system recovery software.
- Weight will vary by configuration.
- Sold separately or as an optional feature.
- Thunderbolt is new technology. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt device (sold separately) must be compatible with Windows. To determine whether your device is Thunderbolt Certified for Windows, see https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products.
- HP RGS requires a Windows or Linux operating system and Internet access.
- HP Performance Advisor requires Windows and Internet access.
- ECC Memory is an optional feature available with Intel® Xeon® configurations.
- MIL-STD testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions. Damage under the MIL STD test conditions or any accidental damage requires an optional HP Accidental Damage Protection Care Pack