Rebuilding HP's Garage
Preservation, rehabilitation efforts and related information
In September of 2004, HP announced efforts to preserve for future generations its most famous piece of real estate — the HP garage. The project turned the clock back on the original house, shed and garage at 367 Addison Avenue, Palo Alto, to conditions much as they were in 1939, when Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard established the now legendary Hewlett-Packard partnership. Completion of the project was celebrated with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on December 6, 2005.
Garage Tours: While the HP garage is not open for public tours, visitors may view and photograph the property and landmark from the sidewalk.
The history of the HP garage and directions to the property.
(523KB - PDF file)
Historical timeline from 1905 to 2005.
Frequently asked questions about the project.
HP Garage Listed on National Register of Historic Places
GARAGE VIDEO: “Preserving our Past”
Find out more about HP's famous garage, from its role in the early days of the company to its present restoration.Watch the video
A brief history of the property at 367 Addison Avenue, including a description of the renovations that will recreate the house, garage, shed and landscaping much as they would have appeared in 1939. (September 15, 2004)
The history of the Addison Avenue property, birthplace of HP and the Silicon Valley. (October 20, 2004)
Key ingredients to the Addison Avenue project: quality, contribution, responsibility and good citizenship are examined along with specific plans for the house, shed and garage. Slide show included. (February 18, 2005)
As a century of change is carefully peeled away, and secrets long held in the deep recesses of HP's most famous property are discovered, 367 Addison Avenue offers up tantalizing peeks into life in earlier days. (April 7, 2005)
Bill and Dave built Hewlett-Packard, but Lucile Packard with her keen wit and desire to do the right thing — helped infuse the company with optimism, respect and a broad sense of community. (July 22, 2005)
The preservation efforts are enhanced by authentic tools, equipment and furnishings. (November 11, 2005)
The rededication ceremony for the restored house and garage drew a crowd drawn from HP's past and present, as well as city officials from Palo Alto and the news media. (December 14, 2005)