Why rehabilitate this property?
As caretakers of the HP legacy, it is our responsibility to honor the birthplace of our company and of Silicon Valley. When the company purchased the property in 2000, the buildings were in a state of disrepair. The rehabilitation of this revered heritage piece reflects the respect and pride we feel in the contributions Hewlett and Packard's garage startup made to the overall cultural fabric of our times.
What did the rehabilitation include?
Preservation architects were hired to renovate the structures on the property: the house, garage and shed, as well as the landscaping. The idea was to return the property to a form that more accurately reflects the time period when Lucile and Dave Packard occupied the house, Bill bunked in the shed, and Bill and Dave did their work in the garage. All work was carried out according to the United States Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. The rehabilitation of this important resource included fire, structure and accessibility upgrades that reflect HP's social and environmental responsibility goals.
How long did it take to complete?
The project lasted from January through October of 2005.
Can I visit the property?
While the HP garage is not open for public tours, individual visitors and small groups may view and photograph the property from the sidewalk and driveway. Addison Avenue remains a quiet residential neighborhood, and HP urges you to respect the privacy of our neighbors.
Please refer to the HP Garage in Brief for directions to 367 Addison Ave.
Who were the architects for the project?
Cody Anderson Wasney Architects of Palo Alto.
Who was responsible for this project within HP?
A cross section of HP was engaged on this project, including but not limited to the HP Corporate Archives, Global Brand, and Real Estate and Workplace Services (the group that manages all HP properties), along with representatives of Bay Area Corporate Affairs, Internal Communications, Media Relations and other appropriate groups.
When was the house built?
The house was built circa 1905. The first documented residents were Dr. John Spencer, a physician, and his wife, Ione. Dr. Spencer was the first mayor of Palo Alto in 1909 under the charter form of government.
When did the garage become a historical landmark?
The garage was named a city landmark by the Palo Alto Historic Resources Board in 1985. It was granted California state landmark status as Registered Landmark No. 976 in 1987 and dedicated as the birthplace of Silicon Valley in 1989.
View the HP Garage Timeline for more historical information.