Acting with integrity and respect for
human rights around the world.
We advocate for a future where technology fosters new creative industries, blends the physical and digital worlds, revolutionizes manufacturing, and improves access to healthcare and education.
We share our deep industry expertise with government officials and regulators to advocate for effective policies across a broad agenda, including intellectual property rights; market access; privacy, data protection, and security; social responsibility; sustainability and compliance; and taxation and economic incentives. We bring a unique perspective to policy development that encourages job creation, innovation, and sustainability.
Our public policy work focuses on the following key areas critical to our business:
- Intellectual property rights: We seek to protect our intellectual property, R&D investments and customers by working to eliminatecounterfeit products, supporting balanced U.S. patent reform,. and advocating for alternatives to copyright levies.
- Market access: We promote open markets and economic growth through trade agreements and other measures that reduce and eliminate duties and non-tariff barriers on IT products and services. .
- Privacy, data protection, and security: We recognize the basic right to privacy and understands the importance of privacy and data protection to our customers and employees. We strive to go beyond legal minimums, and to respect human rights through consistent global policies and procedures to safeguard personal information. We encourage cyber security legislation and regulations to be voluntary, non-proscriptive, technology neutral, and aligned with global standards. Learn more.
- Social responsibility: We started building a sustainable legacy long ago and keep pushing ahead with leading-edge solutions that address long-standing challenges to create a more sustainable business and society. We promote an ethical supply chain and work to continually develop, implement, and scale programs and social investments that improve people’s lives.
- Sustainability and compliance: We advocate for policies that prioritize energy efficiency in government procurement, promote responsible and consistent materials and chemical use, and encourage responsible handling of end-of-service electronics.
- Tax and economic incentives: We advocate for tax policies and economic incentives that encourage innovation, growth, and job creation, through efforts on U.S. tax reform and international tax issues.
We continue working with key public officials to promote thought leadership, our role as an exemplary global citizen, and the HP brand. We are exploring options for our political contributions engagement structure. We do not currently have a political action committee. HP will not make any corporate or PAC political contributions to any candidates, political parties, committees, ballot initiatives, or 527 organizations in FY 2016. HP does not make independent political expenditures. HP does not contribute corporate funds to federal candidates in compliance with U.S. law, nor does it engage in political giving outside of the United States.
HP is a member of several U.S. trade associations that promote our public policy interests. HP does not authorize its trade associations or other tax-exempt organizations such as 501(c)4s to use its membership dues for political contributions.
HP’s Global Head of Government Relations is responsible for the company’s political engagement, with oversight from the Board committee on Nominating, Governance, and Social Responsibility, comprised entirely of independent directors. Relationships with political officials are conducted in the interest of the company’s public policy objectives, and without regard to individual executive preferences on political parties or individual candidates.
HP is committed to integrity in its conduct of all political engagements, which take place in a transparent, legal, and ethical manner, in accordance with HP’s Standards of Business Conduct and in compliance with U.S. federal and state lobbying laws. In addition, our U.S. Public Sector Code of Conduct guides ethical business interaction with U.S., state, and local officials.
Improving the environmental performance of our customers, operations, and supply chain
Strengthening our communities and enabling the sustainable development of society
All figures contained on this page are reflective of Hewlett-Packard Company prior to the company’s November 1, 2015 separation. HP Inc. metrics will be introduced to the site on an on-going basis as they become available.