- For Home
- For Work
Responsible paper sourcing
How we source paper is as important to us as it is to you. HP is committed to the responsible sourcing of paper products throughout our operations and to reducing the environmental impact associated with producing the paper that we sell. In 2008, we created an Environmentally Preferable Paper Policy to guide our actions, including working with leading environmental organizations to promote responsible forestry practices.
HP sells roughly 260,000 tonnes of HP-branded printer and copier papers a year. We work with suppliers to verify the source of fiber used in HP-branded papers to ensure that it’s legally and responsibly sourced.
In 2011, we became an official member of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®)1, an independent certifying body that promotes responsible management of the world’s forests. Through this partnership, we’re helping to grow market awareness for FSC.
We’re working to increase both the percentage of fiber that is certified as sustainable by FSC and of post-consumer recycled content in HP-branded papers.
- We achieved our goal to ensure that at least 40% of HP-branded paper is FSC-certified and/or contains at least 30% post-consumer waste content by the end of 2011.
- Our new goal is for 50% or more of our branded paper to meet one or both of these criteria by the end of 2015.
- Already the majority of our photo papers and specialty papers have achieved FSC chain of custody certification, which means that the paper’s fiber originates from a forest that is responsibly managed in accordance with FSC guidelines.
We also participate in the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Global Forest & Trade Network (GFTN), which aims to expand the market for environmentally responsible forest products.
- In 2011 HP signed GFTN’s Corporate Tiger Declaration, through which we pledged to avoid sourcing paper fiber from tiger habitats.
- And in 2012, in conjunction with the Lorax movie campaign, we supported a WWF mangrove forest conservation project in Indonesia that promotes responsible forest management through FSC certification and ensures habitat protection for the endangered proboscis monkey.
Conserving paper across HP
We focus on using renewable, recycled, and recyclable materials as part of our packaging strategy. We’ve shifted many products from plastic to paper packaging and to molded pulp made with recycled fiber.
1FSC trademark license code FSC-C017543