HP Unveils Innovative Multitouch Hybrid PC and Ultrabooks
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- HP today announced three consumer notebooks featuring multitouch displays, including a uniquely designed hybrid PC that gives people more choice in how they access information.
The HP ENVY x2 is a powerful and ultrathin hybrid PC with the advantages of two devices in one. As a notebook that doubles as a tablet, the HP ENVY x2 has a detachable screen that becomes a full tablet when separated from the keyboard via a seamless magnetic latch. Customers no longer have to choose between a product that lets them create rich content and another that lets them enjoy entertainment on the go—they can have both in one device.
“Consumers want the flexibility to move between creating rich documents and losing themselves in a great movie,” said James Mouton, senior vice president and general manager, Personal Computer Global Business Unit, HP. “With the HP ENVY x2, customers can have it all, and the touch experience on these three new notebooks brings out the best of Windows 8.”
These notebook PCs are the first HP products announced with Microsoft® Windows® 8; additional notebooks, desktops and tablets will be announced later in 2012.
HP ENVY x2—the right device for the right time, every time
The HP ENVY x2 solves the “Do I bring my notebook or tablet?” dilemma. Consumers get the power of a notebook and the freedom of a tablet in one stylish, lightweight device.
Featuring a sleek aluminum finish and an innovative hinge with magnets that smoothly guide the tablet into place, the HP ENVY x2 weighs 3.1 pounds.(1) When separated, the tablet portion weighs just 1.5 pounds.
Customers can interact directly with the optimized Windows 8 touch interface on the HP ENVY x2’s vivid 11.6-inch diagonal HD(2) touch display. Ultrawide viewing angles and a bright, 400-nit In-Plane Switching (IPS) panel provide a superb visual experience indoors and outdoors, while an HD webcam on the front and an 8-megapixel camera on the back capture high-quality photos and video.
The HP ENVY x2 also features Beats AudioTM for the best-sounding, richest audio experience available on a PC. An optional stylus offers added creativity, giving customers the freedom to write, draw and navigate with added accuracy.
The HP ENVY x2 also makes sharing and staying connected with friends and family a breeze. A new HP Connected Photo(3) application seamlessly syncs photos across multiple devices and offers basic editing options and instant-sharing capabilities for social networks. HP Connected Music powered by Meridian(4) allows consumers to experience music downloads, streaming services and internet radio all in one convenient place.
The HP ENVY x2 uses solid-state memory designed for improved reliability and faster startup times. Near Field Communication (NFC) technology lets users share content, including photos, contacts and URLs, with a simple tap.
HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook—a premium touch experience
With Windows 8, the HP TouchSmart experience expands beyond the desktop to deliver multitouch technology to notebooks.
Featuring a 15.6-inch diagonal multitouch Radiance Full HD(2) display with IPS technology, the HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook delivers strong performance and the ability to go beyond keyboard and mouse with an optimized touch experience.
Measuring 17.9 millimeters (mm) thin and weighing 4.77 pounds,(1) this premium Ultrabook stands out from the crowd with a sophisticated all-metal design featuring edge-to-edge glass, a soft-touch base for comfort and grip, a glass touchpad and tilted speakers with Beats Audio for optimal sound.
The HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook is HP’s first notebook with Intel® ThunderboltTM technology(5) for blazing-fast transfer of music, movies and data to external devices. HP USB Boost technology charges devices via USB ports while the Ultrabook is on or off.
The Ultrabook delivers great performance with the latest Intel CoreTM processors, an mSATA solid-state drive with Intel Rapid Start,(6) Intel Identity Protection Technology,(7) Intel Anti-Theft Technology,(8) Intel Smart Response(9) and Intel Smart Connect(10) technologies, and a full array of ports, including Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0 and HDMI.
The notebook also features exclusive HP innovations, including HP CoolSense for a noticeably cooler PC; an HP Imagepad for precise multifinger and gesture navigation; HP ProtectSmart for added hard-drive protection; an HP TrueVision HD Webcam; and applications such as HP Connected Photo(3) and HP Connected Music(4) for easy access to photos, music and more.
The HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook offers a clean software image with fully loaded versions of entertainment and security software and a concierge phone line for technical support dedicated exclusively for HP Spectre customers.
For entertainment, full versions of Adobe Photoshop® Elements 10 and Adobe® Premiere Elements 10 bring powerful photo- and video-editing capabilities, and sMedio 360 and HP Connected Music deliver easy media access between PCs and mobile devices.
To safeguard confidential data and thwart cyberthreats, the notebook is preloaded with one year of Absolute Data Protect, two years of Norton Internet Security,(11) and Intel Anti-Theft for remote data protection.(8)
The Ultrabook also includes 90 days of complimentary HP SmartFriend Setup Service,(12) which offers expedited, one-on-one assistance to help customers get their new PCs up and running fast. HP SmartFriend Complete Service gives customers answers to how-to questions for setting up Wi-Fi, removing a virus, using new software or backing up files.
HP ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook 4—the power of touch
Featuring an eye-catching metal design, the HP ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook 4 offers a 14-inch multitouch HD(2) display, measures 23mm thin and weighs 4.77 pounds.(1)
A backlit keyboard, up to 8 hours of battery life,(13) a booming subwoofer with Beats Audio and an optional AMD graphics card with 2 GB of graphics memory allow customers to power through their day.
The HP ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook 4 delivers powerful performance with the latest Intel processors, solid-state drive options, and the same Intel technologies available on the HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook. HP innovations such as HP CoolSense, HP Imagepad, HP ProtectSmart, HP TrueVision HD Webcam, HP Connected Photo,(3) HP Connected Music(4) and HP Connected Backup(10) also are included.
Pricing and availability
- The HP ENVY x2 is expected to be available in the United States for the holidays. Pricing will be available at a later date.
- The HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook is expected to be available in the United States in December with a starting price of $1,399.99.
- The HP ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook 4 is expected to be available in the United States for the holidays. Pricing will be available at a later date.
(1) Actual weight will vary by configuration.
(2) High-definition content is required for high-definition images.
(3) Supported on Android and iOS operating systems. Snapfish by HP mobile app download and Snapfish membership required. Internet service required and not included.
(4) Availability of features varies by country. Streaming services may require a paid subscription. May not be compatible with all music files. Not compatible with DRM tracks. Internet access is required and not included.
(5) Thunderbolt is new technology that requires installation of driver updates for your product before use. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt compatible device required and sold separately. Additional information for determining whether your device is Thunderbolt enabled for Windows 8 is available at https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products.
(6) Requires a 2nd generation Intel® Core processor, Intel software and BIOS update, and Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) or mSATA cache module + HDD. Depending on system configuration, results may vary.
(7) Intel® IPT security requires a separate Symantec VIP software service subscription and must be activated and configured. Requires a website that uses Symantec VIP Authentication Service, Microsoft Windows and a system with 3rd generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processors or any Ultrabook. Intel® and HP assume no liability for lost or stolen data and/or systems or any other damages resulting therefrom.
(8) Available on select models with select Intel processors. First 12 months Absolute Data Protect service included; subscription required for service afterward.
(9) Requires a 2nd generation Intel® Core processor, enabled chipset, Intel Rapid Storage technology software, and a properly configured hybrid drive (HDD + small SSD). Intel Smart Response Technology is sold as an optional feature and is available only on 2012 HP Workstations, HP EliteBooks and HP Ultrabooks. Depending on system configuration, your results may vary.
(10) Internet access required and not included.
(11) Internet access required. First six months included; subscription required for live updates afterward.
(12) Some features are not available in all countries. Complimentary for 90 days from product purchase date. Offer subject to change. Cancellation is not required. Subscription is required to continue.
(13) Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality and power-management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See MobileMark07 battery benchmark www.bapco.com/products/mobilemark2007/index.php for additional details.
Microsoft and Windows are U.S. registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Adobe and Adobe Photoshop are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated. Intel, Intel Core and Ultrabook are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and other countries.
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; the development and transition of new products and services (and the enhancement of existing products and services) to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the protection of HP's intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the hiring and retention of key employees; assumptions related to pension and other post-retirement costs and retirement programs; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; expectations and assumptions relating to the execution and timing of cost reduction programs and restructuring and integration plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 30, 2012 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2011. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2012 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2017 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.