HP Inc. Unveils Consumer Style for Modern Professionals with its Thinnest and Lightest Notebook Ever
PALO ALTO, Calif., January 5, 2016 — HP Inc. today delivered on the promise to reinvent the PC by bringing premium consumer design into a commercial-grade device with the HP EliteBook Folio– the thinnest and lightest notebook HP has ever created. Twenty-one percent slimmer and up to 15 percent lighter than the award-winning HP EliteBook 1020, the EliteBook Folio is HP’s sleekest business-class notebook to date, at only 12.4 mm – thinner than a AA-battery – and under 1 kg .1
“Just because someone uses a PC at work, doesn’t mean they have to sacrifice their desire for a cool, thin and light device,” said Alex Cho, vice president and general manager, Commercial PCs, Personal Systems, HP Inc. “That’s why we designed the HP EliteBook Folio – the world’s thinnest and lightest business-class notebook 2 – which offers users the best of both worlds: a premium design that consumers want while elevating business-critical security and manageability to delight the needs of IT.”New Level of Premium Design and Performance
The EliteBook Folio is a 12.5-inch diagonal notebook, featuring premium craftsmanship with a polished diamond-cut CNC aluminum body to deliver an ultra-thin design that provides strength and durability. Like the Elite family of devices, the EliteBook Folio is designed to pass MIL-STD tests, undergoing 120,000 hours of HP’s Total Test Process3 .
As work becomes something accomplished in different locations throughout the day, the 145-degree angle of a typical notebook can be restrictive to productivity. To address this, the EliteBook Folio has a 180-degree piano hinge, allowing the device to open completely flat, giving users greater flexibility and the ability to easily share and collaborate with others around them. The device also comes with the full-size, highly acclaimed HP Premium Keyboard, a Windows 10 gesture-enabled clickpad, and two USB-C™ ports with Thunderbolt™ 3 for fast data transfers and 4K displays. Users can ditch the dongles with the optional HP USB-C™ Travel Dock.
The edge-to-edge glass display of the EliteBook Folio also has an optional Ultra HD (UHD) 4K display, which provides a paper-like display with stunning detail, made possible by an incredible pixel density of 352 pixels per inch. The UHD panel enables 95 percent of the Adobe RGB gamut to make images more vivid and life-like.
For people who require all-day productivity and performance, HP worked with Microsoft Corp. and Intel on the development of the EliteBook Folio, tuning device drivers and the design to optimize performance and battery life. The device includes Windows 10 Pro and is built with an optional 6th generation Intel® Core™ M vPro™ processor4,5 , optimized for high performance and efficiency. This gives the EliteBook Folio the optimal blend of beauty, power, fanless operation and up to 10 hours of battery life6 . The design and materials of the device also allowed HP engineers to maximize space for an HP Long Life Battery, built to last more than three years 7.Built to Connect with Others
People are using their notebooks to connect with colleagues, friends and family more than ever before. Customers shared that using their notebook for calling and conferencing with others still has its challenges. That’s why HP and Microsoft’s Skype for Business team worked closely on the development of the EliteBook Folio to create the first notebook purpose-built for collaboration 8 .
“Microsoft and HP engineers worked closely on the development of the EliteBook Folio for more than a year to deliver the best Skype for Business experience,” said Eric Wilfrid, director of product, Skype for Business, Microsoft. “The result is a device that offers a premium collaboration experience when speaking or listening to calls using Skype for Business.”
HP also partnered with Bang & Olufsen acoustical engineers to custom-tune the audio for a precise sound experience for personal and business use. The quality of components and emphasis on surrounding engineering of the notebook helped achieve a 40 percent increase in loudness compared to previous HP devices so the Folio can be used as a phone. The four speakers on the device are optimized from sound to size for the spoken word but are providing an equally superb experience when listening to music or watching videos.
Juggling between windows to end or mute a call is no longer an issue with new collaboration keys on the keyboard to more easily manage calls, and a calendar key allows users to quickly jump to a Skype for Business calendar rather than navigating from the desktop.A Full Family of Premium Business Devices
Joining the full line-up of Elite premium desktops, notebooks and the recently announced Elite x2, HP today also unveiled the world’s thinnest 14” business-class notebook9 – the HP EliteBook 1040 G3 – and the new HP EliteBook 800 G3 series – the next generation of HP’s best-selling business-class notebooks. To achieve its thin and light style, the EliteBook 1040 uses the same all-aluminum diamond cut design as the new EliteBook Folio. HP is taking its premium design and innovation to its EliteBook 800 series, with an all-new silver magnesium and aluminum body to achieve a thinner, lighter and durable design.
The EliteBook 1040 and the EliteBook 800 series offer Windows 10 Pro, 6th generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processors4, PCIe Gen3 SSD10 , and DDR4 memory. All the devices come with Audio by Bang & Olufsen, HP Noise Reduction Software and HP Clear Sound Amp to provide a rich collaboration experience for applications like Skype for Business. The EliteBook 800 series is available in 12.5-inch, 14.0-inch or 15.6-inch diagonal HD, FHD, QHD or UHD screens11 ; the EliteBook 1040 offers a choice of either FHD or QHD screens12 .
For customers who need additional power, HP is introducing the new optional HP Notebook Power Bank for the HP Pro and Elite series, which charges an HP notebook and two additional mobile devices at the same time, such as a smartphone or tablet. HP also has several optional accessories designed for a premium experience, including newly designed carrying cases and several docking options, like the HP UltraSlim Docking Station and travel docks.Premium Security and Manageability
IT no longer has to trade off form for function or introduce potential risks into their corporate environment with HP’s new Elite family of premium laptops, desktops and tablets including the new EliteBook Folio– devices that are more secure and more manageable than previous generations. These devices are designed to delight IT professionals tasked with managing and securing their company’s fleet of devices with built-in, not bolted on security including: HP Client Security Software Suite, certified TPM, enhanced BIOS-level protection with HP Sure Start with Dynamic Protection13 , and an optional hardened fingerprint reader 14.
For additional manageability support, HP also offers customers additional manageability tools like HP Touchpoint Manager15 , HP Image Assistant and an optional Intel® Core™ vPro™ processor so IT can remotely manage the device over wired and wireless networks. HP Touchpoint Manager now features software inventory and deployment, as well as patch management, and support for BYOD devices, expanding the IT admin’s ability to secure and optimize devices from a single dashboard. The new HP Image Assistant is the first custom image diagnostics tool for commercial PCs with a self-help dashboard16 to help enterprises reduce IT costs and protect sensitive company data. .Pricing and availability 17
- The HP EliteBook Folio is expected to be available in March at HP.com starting at $999.
- The HP EliteBook 1040 G3 is expected to be available in January starting at $1,199.
- The HP EliteBook 800 G3 series is expected to be available in January starting at $94918 .
- HP USB-C Travel Dock for the HP EliteBook Folio is expected to be available in March for $119.
- HP Notebook Power Bank is expected to be available in January for $129.
For more information on HP’s premium line of devices and accessories, visit: www.hp.com/go/newstyleIT
- Pending final weight.
- Based on HP’s internal analysis of business class notebooks as of (January 4, 2016) with >1 million unit annual sales having preinstalled encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL-STD 810G tests with optional docking incorporating power delivery.
- MIL-STD testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test condition. Damage from drops, MIL STD test conditions or other accidental conditions requires separate purchase of the Accidental Damage Protection HP Care Pack.
- Multicore is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Performance and clock frequency will vary depending on application workload and your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- Some vPro functionality, such as Intel® Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Availability of future "virtual appliances" applications for Intel vPro technology is dependent on 3rd party software providers. Microsoft Windows required.
- Windows 10 MM14 battery life will vary depending on various factors including product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See www.bapco.com for additional details. Three-year or 1,000 cycles. See http://www.hp.com/go/liionbattery to learn more.
- Part of the total system memory (RAM) is used for graphics/video performance. System memory dedicated to graphics/video performance is not available for other use by other programs.
- Based on HP’s internal analysis as of (January 4, 2016) of notebooks purpose built for collaboration having built-in collaboration keyboard, voice audio tuning, noise reduction software, > or= 60db audio and 720p webcam.
- Based on HP’s internal analysis of 14” business class notebooks as of (January 4, 2016) with >1 million unit annual sales having preinstalled encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL-STD 810G tests with optional docking incorporating power delivery.
- Sold separately or as an optional feature.
- QHD screen is only available on the HP EliteBook 840 Non-Touch. UHD screen is only available on the HP EliteBook 850 Non-Touch. Full High definition (HD) content is required to view quad high-definition images.
- FHD is only available as a non-touch option.
- Only available on select models with Intel-based processors.
- Optional fingerprint reader not available on the HP EliteBook Folio.
- HP Touchpoint Manager requires purchase of a subscription and supports Android™, iOS and Windows 7 or higher operating systems and PCs, notebooks, tablets and smartphones from various manufacturers. Not available in all countries see www.hp.com/touchpoint for availability information.
- Dashboard provides current driver, software, BIOS, QFE and security update recommendations.
- Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
- Starting pricing configuration for the HP EliteBook 800 series is the HP EliteBook 840, with an Intel® Core™ i5-6200U processor.
This document contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP Inc. and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including any statements of expectation or belief and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the possibility the company’s business may not perform as expected; that the company may be unable to successfully implement separation strategies; and other risks that are described in the company’s reports to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to the risks described in the company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for its fiscal year ended October 31, 2014 and the company’s Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for its fiscal quarters ended April 30, 2015 and July 31, 2015. The company assumes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2016 HP Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.