HP Drives "Business-First" Approach to Mobility
New Devices, Services and Network of Partners Work Together to Create Solutions That Are Built for the Way You Work
PALO ALTO, CA--(Marketwired - Jan 20, 2015) - HP (
"Mobile devices are changing how we live and work, and they also pose significant challenges to IT departments who have to support their now mobile workforces while keeping corporate data managed and secure," said Ron Coughlin, senior vice president and general manager, Personal Systems, HP. "HP is the world's largest commercial computing provider to the world's largest companies. No other company is better suited to address commercial mobility than HP. Our devices feature built-in security, manageability and durability. When paired with our ISVs' robust solutions, HP has created an ecosystem that helps companies to powerfully and securely harness the promise of mobility."
Mobility not only changes where people work, but how they work. The current approach to business mobility is to retrofit consumer devices and attempt to make them enterprise-ready, or drive customer lock-in to a single platform or device.
HP is taking a modular approach featuring secure, purpose-built devices. By supporting multiple operating systems, HP is giving business customers a choice of application eco-systems and user experiences. When coupled with the new software offerings from HP and its partners, the company has created a complete mobility solution for all businesses -- including education, field service, healthcare, public safety and retail industries.
Purpose-built devices to mobilize the workforce
New tablets and 2-in-1devices running Microsoft Windows operating system, along with new tablets built on Google's Android™ operating system, all feature built-in security and can be tailored to meet specific use-case requirements with a focus on embracing business mobility. These new devices include:
- HP Pro Slate 8 and HP Pro Slate 12 are high-definition1 (HD) commercial-grade Android tablets. Available in 8-inch or 12-inch diagonal displays respectively, the tablets are powered by a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 series processor2, and support a 4:3 aspect ratio to easily view business documents and access business applications. Less than 8 mm thin, these lightweight tablets offer powerful computing and business-day battery life3 with enterprise-grade security and manageability. Both devices are designed with business productivity in mind featuring a wide range of accessories enabled by HP's Zero Force connector. HP Pro Slate 8 is one of the first tablets to market using Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4, Corning's toughest cover glass to date.
- HP Duet Pen, the first to use Qualcomm Snapdragon digital pen technology4 on both a tablet and regular paper, is included with the HP Pro Slate 8 and HP Pro Slate 12. The pen is part of the HP's Blended Reality Ecosystem, helping employees be more productive and create easily shareable content by writing and digitizing input from the device's screen or via a regular sheet of paper using the HP Paper Folio5.
- HP Elite x2 1011 G1 is a lightweight, stylish, 11.6-inch diagonal 2-in-1 Windows device running Windows 8 Pro easily transforms from a tablet to a laptop with Ultrabook configurations available6. Tested to military specs for durability7, the Elite x2 adapts to personal work preferences with an ecosystem of optional accessories8 that includes an industry-first WiGig enterprise wireless dock9 based on a joint collaboration with Intel, along with a cover, a lightweight travel keyboard and an optional Wacom pen10.
- HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is an affordable, 9 mm thin, 8-inch diagonal Intel® Atom®-based business tablet that provides a full Windows 8 Pro experience and the mobile accessories11 to help keep users productive when away from their PC. With business-class features like micro-HDMI, up to 64 GB of storage12 and an 8 MP rear camera with flash, the device gives IT the serviceability, security, manageability and commercial lifecycle it requires.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Healthcare Tablet is designed to improve caregiver productivity and enhance patient interaction. The durable and lightweight solution has an antimicrobial13 treatment to protect the product, can be cleaned easily, and meets IP 5414 specifications. Deployable in any clinical environment, the tablet helps reduce the risk of medical errors by using the 2D barcode reader to validate personnel, patients, and catalog and administrate medication.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet is an ideal solution both in and out of the office for mobile workers in manufacturing or in-field environments. IP 6515 rated for water and dust and MIL-STD 81016 testing, with up to 20 hours of battery life17 and a 2D barcode reader to quickly access information.
- Built with the rigors of the school day in mind, the Intel Atom-based HP Pro Tablet 10 EE running Windows and the HP Pro Slate 10 EE Android tablet feature a durable design that passes IP-5218 testing for dust and moisture, is built to withstand the rigors of an education environment, and includes an on-board garage for the optional stylus, plus a hard-wired keyboard base option19 for more convenient and secure 1:1 learning.
- HP offers robust solutions to help schools manage their devices, including: HP Services for Schools20, a combination of consulting, leadership development and teacher training to help schools use technology to improve student achievement; HP School Pack, a range of learning tools and IT resources, from eBooks and classroom management to security and onboard IT support; and HP Classroom Manager, an easy-to-use classroom management software that allows teachers to view and control student devices and encourages collaboration21.
- The all new HP Retail Case for ElitePad offers retailers a versatile mobile and fixed POS solution for their employees, with two built-in cradle areas for mounting payment devices and the ability to dock to existing POS solutions. The new solution's design features hand and shoulder straps, giving retail store operators an easier and more comfortable way to access inventory and product availability, as well as improving the checkout experience.
- The HP Retail Case for ElitePad also allows retailers to physically attach a mobile payment device (PED or PIN entry device) of choice to the case from vendors like Ingenico, Verifone, AnywhereCommerce, and PayPal and accept a range of payments such as EMV, NFC, MSR, and most digital wallets.
Solutions focused on mobilizing industries
HP is collaborating with leading independent software vendors (ISVs) in healthcare, field service and public safety industries, including Cerner, Intergraph and SAP, along with system integrators and service providers to deliver complete business solutions focused on mobility.
- Cerner is working with HP on delivering purpose-built healthcare solutions and applications that will enable clinicians to further embrace mobility in the healthcare industry.
- Intergraph is announcing the release of its Windows 8.1 mobile application for public safety agencies. Intergraph Mobile Responder extends Intergraph's Computer Aided Dispatch solution to emergency responders in the field. Mobile Responder is optimized for devices such as HP's ElitePad 1000 G2 and the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet as part of a joint partnership between HP, Intergraph and Microsoft.
- The SAP® Enterprise Asset Management (SAP EAM) solution is planned to be an integration centerpiece to help bring innovative workflow solutions to vertical customers and industries, extending the mobility service value chain for service and inventory management coupled with the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet.
- HP Enterprise Services (ES) will also deliver an end-to-end mobility business solution. Within this collaboration, HP ES will take the newly announced devices and integrate them into the customer's network while adding mobility software, apps and security layers to simplify implementation and management.
Pricing and availability22
These devices are available as a managed service or subscription, offering businesses flexibility and a new way to deploy mobility.
- HP Pro Slate 8 is available now with a starting price of $449.
- HP Pro Slate 12 is available now with a starting price of $569.
- HP Elite x2 1011 G1 is expected to be available in late January with a starting price of $899.
- HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is available now with a starting price of $299.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Vertical Solutions, including:
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Healthcare Tablet is available now with a starting price of $1,499.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet is expected to be available in February with a starting price of $1,599.
- The HP Retail Case for ElitePad is available now with a starting price of $199.
- HP Pro Slate 10 EE is available now with a starting price of $279.
- HP Pro Tablet 10 EE is available now with a starting price of $299 for education customers and $349 for all customers.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers' most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com.
1 High-definition content is required for high-definition images.
2 Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing system required. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Qualcomm's numbering is not a measurement of clock speed.
3 Tested by HP using continuous HD video playback, 720p (1280x720) resolution, 150 nits brightness, system audio level at 50%, player audio level at 100%, played from local storage, headphone attached, wireless off, auto dimming off. Actual battery life will vary depending on configuration and maximum capacity will naturally decrease with time and usage.
4 The HP Duet Pen is enabled by Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ digital pen technology by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
5 HP Paper Folio sold separately.
6 Not all models qualify as an Ultrabook.
7 MIL STD 810G testing is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
8 Sold separately or as an optional feature.
9 The WiGig-compatible notebook or tablet must be positioned within 1.2 m (4 ft) and without obstruction in the line of sight of the wireless dock. HP Advanced Wireless Docking is compatible with the HP Elite x2 1011 G1 with
10 The HP Elite x2 1011 Wacom Pen is available as a configurable option available on models ordered with a digitizer screen. Models without a built-in digitizer are incompatible with the HP Elite x2 1011 Wacom Pen.
11 Sold separately or as an optional feature.
12 For storage drive, GB = 1 billion bytes. Optional Micro-Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) card sold separately. For Solid State Drives (SSD), GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 6GB of system disk is reserved for Windows system recovery and EFI system partition.
13 IP 54 testing is completed. The solution is planned to be covered under HP limited warranty for IP 54 dust and water ingress. Quick release pins, camera lens, flash cover, bar code reader cover, screws, screen, and HP logo are not treated with an antimicrobial.
14 The solution is covered under HP limited warranty for IP 54 dust and water ingress.
15 The solution is covered under HP limited warranty for IP 65 dust and water ingress.
16 MIL STD testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
17 Testing conducted by HP consisting of full battery discharge while running a series of productivity scripts against the following applications (which may or may not be included with your particular product): Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0, Adobe® Illustrator® CS2, Adobe® Photoshop® CS2, Apple® Quicktime 7.1, Intervideo® WinDVD® 8, Macromedia® Flash 8, Microsoft® Office® 2003 Pro, Microsoft® Project 2003, and Winzip® 10.0. Prior to testing, the system was fully charged, display brightness was set at 60 nits, wireless was turned off, and auto dim, suspend, hibernate, and all other programs, utilities, and services not essential to running the computer system or battery life test were disabled. Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage.
18 IP-52 is not covered under HP limited warranty.
19 Sold separately or as an optional feature.
20 Available in the U.S. only.
21 HP School Pack is expected to be available at launch for the Android-based Pro Slate 10 EE, and by March 2015 for the Windows-based Pro Tablet 10 EE. The applications cannot be updated or uploaded after purchase for products without HP School Pack pre-loaded. HP Classroom Manager for Teachers is required and sold separately for control and device locking from the teacher's Windows desktop console; no locking and control functionality originates from HP Classroom Manager for Student.
22 Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
Intel and Intel Core are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and other countries. Microsoft and Windows are U.S. registered trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies. Qualcomm and Snapdragon are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. Google Android is a registered trademark by Google Inc. and is used by Hewlett-Packard under license. SAP and other SAP products and services mentioned herein as well as their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP SE (or an SAP affiliate company) in Germany and other countries. See http://www.sap.com/corporate-en/legal/copyright/index.epx for additional trademark information and notices. All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of HP for future operations, including the separation transaction; the future performance if Hewlett-Packard Enterprise and HP Inc. if the separation is completed; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the need to address the many challenges facing HP's businesses; the competitive pressures faced by HP's businesses; risks associated with executing HP's strategy, including the planned separation transaction, and plans for future operations and investments; the impact of macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the need to manage third-party suppliers and the distribution of HP's products and services effectively; the protection of HP's intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; risks associated with HP's international operations; the development and transition of new products and services and the enhancement of existing products and services to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its suppliers, customers, clients and partners; the hiring and retention of key employees; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; the execution, timing and results of the separation transaction or restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost (including any possible disruption of HP's business) and the anticipated benefits of implementing the separation transaction and restructuring plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2013, and HP's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2014. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.