- For Home
- For Work
HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401dw(CF285A)
- Do more with your workday. Set up anywhere in the office using built-in wireless networking,2,3 and share printing resources on a network. Print on the go with mobile printing options. Use business apps to access and print from the Web.1,5
- Printing professional-quality documents at a great value, with outstanding networking and paper-saving features.
Professional-quality output for a great value
- Produce professional-quality business prints with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
- Depend on a printer with a 3,000-page recommended monthly page volume—the ideal fit for reliable printing.
- Save money by saving energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology powers your printer up and down automatically.6
- Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save more with high-capacity cartridges.10
Web-connected ease of use
- Use 3.5-inch (8.89 cm) color touchscreen to access and print from the Web.5,2
- Install your printer fast—there's no CD required with HP Smart Install.7
- Use the easy-access USB port to print from—and save scans to—a flash drive.
- Easily control your print environment with market-leading management tools.
Impressive productivity and mobility
- Set up and share anywhere in the office with wireless connectivity.2,3 Configure networking fast.9
- Print from virtually anywhere, using HP ePrint.4
- Drive productivity and save paper, using automatic, two-sided printing. 1
- Boost productivity with fast print speeds. Do more with the 800-sheet paper capacity.
Reduced environmental impact
- Reduce energy use with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology.6
- Reduce paper use by up to 50% with automatic two-sided printing.
- Easily recycle Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges through HP Planet Partners.11
- Reduce packaging waste—Original HP toner cartridges ship in the printer.
1 Available on M401dw model only.
2 Available on M401dw model only.
3 Wireless performance is dependent upon physical environment and distance from access point, and may be limited during active VPN connections.
4 Requires an Internet connection to the printer. Feature works with any connected Internet- and email-capable device. Requires HP Web Services Account Registration. Print times may vary. For a list of supported documents, and image types, see http://www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter. And for additional solutions, see http://www.hp.com/go/mobile-printing-solutions
5 5 Requires a wireless access point and an Internet connection to the printer. Services may require registration. Availability varies by country, language, and agreements, and requires a firmware upgrade. For details, http://www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter
6 HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology capabilities subject to printer and settings.
7 HP Smart Install works with Windows® only. Mobile device must be wireless-enabled. Printer must be HP ePrint-enabled. Feature may require driver or apps, available for download at http://www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter
8 Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.
9 HP Auto Wireless Connect may not be available for all system configurations. Wireless performance is dependent upon physical environment and distance from access point. For information on compatibility, visit http://www.hp.com/go/autowirelessconnect
10 HP 80X LaserJet Black Toner Cartridge not included; must be purchased separately.
11 Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit http://www.hp.com/recycle
12 Walk-up USB available on M401dn & dw only and Wireless 802.11b/g/n on M401dw only.
13 Business Applications available for M401dn and M401dw models. Wireless Direct Print available for M401dw only.
10 HP 280X LaserJet Black Toner Cartridge not included; must be purchased separately.
11 Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit http://www.hp.com/recycle.
- Print speed black:
Normal:Up to 35 ppm
- (Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity. )
- First page out (ready)
Black: As fast as 8 sec
- Print quality (best)
Black: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Duty cycle (monthly, letter)
Up to 50,000 pages;
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups.)
- Recommended monthly page volume
750 to 3000
(HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.)
- Print technology:
- Processor speed:
- 800 MHz
- Print languages:
- HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- 3.5" (8.89 cm) touchscreen control panel, CGD (Color Graphic Display)
- HP ePrint capability:
- Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™, Business Application, Wireless Direct Print
- Wireless capability:
- Yes, built-in WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Wireless direct printing
- Connectivity, standard:
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- 1 Host USB
- 1 Ethernet 10/100/1000 Gigabit network
- 1 Walk-up USB
- 1 Wireless 802.11b/g/n
- Network ready:
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 802.11b/g/n)
- Minimum system requirements
Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port; Windows® XP32 SP2 (32-bit): Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port;
Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7; PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor; 500 MB hard disk; CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet; USB or Network
- Compatible operating systems:
- Full software installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows®7 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows Vista® 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® XP 32-bit (SP2 or higher)
- Driver only installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® Server 2003 32-bit (SP3 or higher)
- Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7
- Linpus Linux : 9.4, 9.5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: 5.0, 6.0
- OpenSuSE: 11.3, 11.4
- Fedora: 14, 15
- Ubuntu: 10.04, 10.10, 11.04
- Debian: 5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i
- Memory, standard:
- 256 MB
- Memory, maximum:
- 256 MB
- Hard disk:
- Paper handling input, standard:
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray 1
- 250-sheet input tray 2
- automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
- Paper handling output, standard:
- 150-sheet output bin
- Duplex printing:
- Automatic (standard)
- Media sizes supported:
- Letter, legal, executive, 8.5 x 13 in
- Media sizes, custom:
- Multipurpose tray: 3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in; tray 2 and optional 500-sheet-tray 3: 4.1 x 5.8 to 8.5 x 14 in
- Media types:
- Paper (plain, light, heavy, bond, color, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; transparencies, cardstock
- Media weight, supported:
- Tray 1,2: 16 to 43 lb (straight through paper path for special media); optional 500-sheet tray 3: 16 to 32 lb
- Finished output handling:
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- 110-volt input voltage: 110 to 127 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
- Power consumption
570 watts (Printing), 7.3 watts (Ready), 6.2 watts (Sleep), 0.1 watts (Off)
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.)
- Energy efficiency:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- EPEAT® Silver
- Operating temperature range:
- 59 to 90.5ºF
- Operating humidity range:
- 30 to 70% RH
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Minimum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 14.35 x 14.49 x 10.67 in
- Maximum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 14.35 x 24.94 x 15.10 in (multipurpose tray and foldup cover extended, tray 2 extended to legal-size, touchscreen control panel upraised at 90 degrees)
- 24.2 lb
- Package dimensions (W x D x H):
- 16.9 x 13 x 18.9 in
- Package weight:
- 31.3 lb
- What's in the box:
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dw
- HP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages)
- Installation guide, Getting Started guide, Support flyer, Warranty guide
- Printer documentation and software on CD-ROM
- power cord
- USB cable
- Cable included:
- Yes, 1 USB cable
- One-year warranty, return to HP Authorized Service Provider
- Eco Highlights
• Save energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology turns your printer on when you need it, off when you don’t.[eco01]
• Save paper by up to 50% using automatic two-sided printing.
• Free, convenient cartridge recycling in more than 50 countries.[eco02]
[eco01]HP Auto-On/Auto-Off capabilities subject to printer and settings.
[eco02]Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit http://www.hp.com/recycle.
• Please recycle your computing hardware and printing supplies. HP asset management and recycling services make responsible disposal easy.
- Quick Links
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.