- For Home
- For Work
HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401dne (CF399A)
- Optimize your day-to-day workflow. Share printing resources on a network and take advantage of fast print speeds. Be productive and save paper using automatic two-sided printing.
- Printing professional-quality documents at a great value, with outstanding networking and paper-saving features.
Easy to install, easy to use
- Set up this printer quickly in your IT environment, using the HP Universal Print Driver.
- Receive consistent results with Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges, and reorder with HP SureSupply.7
- Save IT time and costs by centralizing printer management with HP Web Jetadmin.
- Operate your printer with ease, using the 2-line display.
Professional-quality output for great value.
- Produce professional-quality business prints with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
- Depend on a printer with up to 3000-page recommended monthly page volume—the ideal fit for reliable printing.
- Save money by saving energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology powers your printer up and down automatically.2
- Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save more with high-capacity cartridges.5
Enhanced productivity—increased mobility
- Print from your smartphone or tablet from virtually anywhere, using HP ePrint.6
- Share printing resources with an Ethernet network. Automatic two-sided printing helps save paper.
- Boost productivity with print speeds up to 33 ppm (A4) and 35 ppm letter.8 Do more with the 800-sheet maximum paper capacity.
- Reload paper less often with up to 300-sheet paper capacity.
1 Available on M401dn and M401dw models only.
2 HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology capabilities subject to printer and settings.
4 Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.
5 HP 280X LaserJet Black Toner Cartridge not included; must be purchased separately.
6 Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit www.hp.com/recycle.
7 Program features and availability may vary by country. For more information, visit www.hp.com/learn/suresupply.
11 Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.
- Print speed black:
Normal:Up to 35 ppm
- (Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity. )
- First page out (ready)
Black: As fast as 8 sec
- Print quality (best)
Black: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Duty cycle (monthly, letter)
Up to 50,000 pages;
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups.)
- Recommended monthly page volume
750 to 3000
(HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.)
- Print technology:
- Processor speed:
- 800 MHz
- Print languages:
- HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- 2-line LCD (text and graphics)
- HP ePrint capability:
- Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™
- Wireless capability:
- Connectivity, standard:
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- 1 Ethernet 10/100/1000T network
- Network ready:
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
- Minimum system requirements
Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port; Windows® XP32 SP2 (32-bit): Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port;
Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7; PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor; 500 MB hard disk; CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet; USB or Network
- Compatible operating systems:
- Full software installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows®7 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows Vista® 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® XP 32-bit (SP2 or higher)
- Driver only installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® Server 2003 32-bit (SP3 or higher)
- Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7
- Linpus Linux : 9.4, 9.5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: 5.0, 6.0
- OpenSuSE: 11.3, 11.4
- Fedora: 14, 15
- Ubuntu: 10.04, 10.10, 11.04
- Debian: 5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i
- Memory, standard:
- 256 MB
- Memory, maximum:
- 256 MB
- Hard disk:
- Paper handling input, standard:
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray 1
- 250-sheet input tray 2
- automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
- Paper handling output, standard:
- 150-sheet output bin
- Duplex printing:
- Automatic (standard)
- Media sizes supported:
- Letter, legal, executive, 8.5 x 13 in
- Media sizes, custom:
- Multipurpose tray: 3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in; tray 2 and optional 500-sheet-tray 3: 4.1 x 5.8 to 8.5 x 14 in
- Media types:
- Paper (plain, Green mode, light, heavy, bond, color, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; transparencies, cardstock
- Media weight, supported:
- Tray 1: 16 to 43 lb (straight through paper path for special media); tray 2, optional 500-sheet tray 3: 16 to 32 lb
- Finished output handling:
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- 110-volt input voltage: 110 to 127 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
- Power consumption
570 watts (Printing), 7.3 watts (Ready), 6.2 watts (Sleep), 0.1 watts (Off)
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.)
- Energy efficiency:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- EPEAT® Silver
- Operating temperature range:
- 59 to 90.5ºF
- Operating humidity range:
- 30 to 70% RH
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Minimum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 14.35 x 14.49 x 10.53 in
- Maximum dimensions (W x D x H):
- 14.35 x 24.94 x 12.14 in (multipurpose tray and foldup cover extended, tray 2 extended to legal-size)
- 23.5 lb
- Package dimensions (W x D x H):
- 16.9 x 13 x 18.9 in
- Package weight:
- 30.6 lb
- What's in the box:
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dne
- HP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages)
- Installation guide, Support flyer, Warranty guide
- power cord
- Documentation and software on CD-ROM
- Cable included:
- No, please purchase USB cable separately
- One-year warranty, return to HP Authorized Service Provider
- Related links
- Technical Support / Manuals
- Eco Highlights
• Save energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology turns your printer on when you need it, off when you don’t.[eco01]
• Save paper by up to 50% using automatic two-sided printing (M401dn and M401dw).
• Free, convenient cartridge recycling in more than 50 countries.[eco02]
• Reduce packaging waste—Original HP toner cartridges ship in the printer.
[eco01]HP Auto-On/Auto-Off capabilities subject to printer and settings.
[eco02]Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 50 countries and territories around the world through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, or to request return envelopes and bulk collection boxes, visit http://www.hp.com/recycle.
• Please recycle your computing hardware and printing supplies. HP asset management and recycling services make responsible disposal easy.
- Quick Links
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.