- For Home
- For Work
- Performance you want. Value you need. Maintain professional expandability in an accessible, tool-free mini-tower form factor—all at a great price. With support for next-generation Intel® Xeon® processor families, the latest graphics technology, and increased I/O expandability, the HP Z420 has the power you need to get the job done.
- Windows 8 Pro or other operating systems available
Intelligent, business-forward design.
- Quickly and easily swap out parts or make upgrades on your own. The HP Z420 Workstation features a smart chassis design built for tool-less access to the inside and easy configurability.
- With optional liquid cooling, your workstation is designed for whisper-quiet performance and a smooth, daily work flow.1
- Bring power and performance to the next level with the all new E5-1680 v2 8-core processor and Intel® C602 chipset.2
- Achieve up to an 86% increase in memory bandwidth over previous generation HP workstations3. Support up to 64 GB of the latest generation of system memory with 8 DIMM slots and integrated 1,866MHz DDR3 memory subsystem.4
- Take advantage of a 600 W 90% efficient power supply ideal for high-end graphics and GPU compute solutions.
- Connect in a flash with 4X USB 3.0 bandwidth on an optional high-performance ThunderboltTM 2.0 port5 on the HP Z420.
Uncompromised graphics, increased productivity.
- Built to support next generation PCIe Gen3 graphics, the HP Z420 currently offers a breadth of AMD and NVIDIA professional graphics card options from Pro 2D to high-end 3D, up to the NVIDIA Quadro 6000.2
- Access high-performance applications, including 2D and 3D video, on-site or from a remote location with HP Remote Graphics software6.
- Increase productivity and spread out with the freedom of seeing and doing more all at once with support for multiple displays at peak HD resolutions.7
Customized to work for you.
- Build the HP Z420 Workstation the way you want with multiple SATA and SAS RAID configuration options that support a wide range of high-performance, high capacity storage solutions.
- Get the flexibility you need with support for a wide range of internal HDD/ODD and external SATA devices.
Complete peace of mind.
- With ISV-certifications and 115,000 hours of testing in the HP Total Test Process, the HP Z420 is reliable and ready for business.
- HP workstations offer low-halogen8 and ENERGY STAR® qualified configurations featuring efficient power supplies.
- HP Performance Advisor9 configures your system with updated settings and drivers to help maximize performance.
- Relax with a standard, 3-year limited warranty. Choose optional HP Care Pack Services10 to extend your service.
1 Optional features sold separately or as add on features.
2 Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers, and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations.
3 Up to 86% increase in available memory bandwidth can be achieved on the Z420 over the Z400 on optimized configurations with memory distributed across all channels using 1,333 MHz memory speed on the Z400 and 1,866 MHz memory speed on the Z420. This does not imply an 86% increase in performance.
4 Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
5 Thunderbolt is new technology. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt device (sold separately) must be compatible with Windows. To determine whether your device is Thunderbolt Certified for Windows, see https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products. Thunderbolt™ 2.0 is planned to be available via an optional add-in card in early 2014.
6 HP Remote Graphics Software requires Windows and an internet connection.
7 Support for external displays as a standard feature through integrated processor-based graphics is dependent upon the particular workstation configuration; the actual number of displays supported will vary. An optional graphics solution will be required for the support of additional displays. Additional cables required. HD (high-definition) content required to view HD images.
8 External power supplies, power cords, cables and peripherals are not Low Halogen. Service parts obtained after purchase may not be Low Halogen.
9 HP Performance Advisor requires Windows and an internet connection.
10 HP Care Pack services are sold separately. Service levels and response times for HP Care Pack Services may vary depending on your geographic location. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. Restrictions and limitations apply. See www.hp.com/go/cpc for details.
- Operating system
Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Windows 8.1 Single Language 64
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Professional 32 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64)
Windows 8 Pro 64
Windows 8 Single Language 64
Windows 7 Professional 32 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Windows 7 Professional 32
Windows 7 Professional 64
HP Installer Kit for Linux
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11
(HP Linux Installer Kit includes drivers for both 32-bit & 64-bit versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS5 and WS6 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 64-bit. Download Red Hat Enterprise Linux (1-year paper license only) which is available as a second operating system. )
- Processor family
- Intel® Xeon® E5 processor
Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 v2 (2.6 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1680 v2 (3 GHz, 25 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1660 v2 (3.7 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1650 v2 (3.5 GHz, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1620 v2 (3.7 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1607 v2 (3 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1620 (3.6 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-1603 (2.8 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® C602
- Form factor:
- Convertible Minitower
- Memory, maximum
64 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Unbuffered SDRAM
(Actual memory speed is dependent on processor. )
- Memory slots:
- 8 DIMM
- Internal drive bays:
- Three 3.5"
- External drive bays:
- Three 5.25"
- Internal drive
300 GB up to 600 GB SAS (15000 rpm)
300 GB up to 1.2 TB SAS (10000 rpm)
250 GB up to 1 TB SATA (10000 rpm)
500 GB up to 3 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
120 GB up to 512 GB SATA SSD
256 GB SATA SE SSD
- Storage controller:
- Integrated SATA 6.0 Gb/s; Integrated SATA 3.0 Gb/s; LSI MegaRAID® 9260-8i SAS 6.0 Gb/s ROC RAID and iBBU08 Battery Backup Unit (optional); LSI MegaRAID® 9270-8i SAS 6.0 Gb/s ROC RAID Card and iBBU09 Battery Backup Unit (optional)
- Optical drive
SATA Blu-ray writer
SATA SuperMulti DVD+/-RW
Display and graphics
Display and graphics
- NVIDIA NVS 310 (512 MB)
- NVIDIA NVS 315 (1 GB)
- NVIDIA NVS 510 (2 GB)
- NVIDIA Quadro 410 (512 MB)
- NVIDIA Quadro K600 (1 GB)
- AMD FirePro V3900 (1 GB)
- NVIDIA Quadro K2000 (2 GB)
- NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (3 GB)
- NVIDIA Quadro K5000 (4 GB)
- AMD FirePro W7000 (4 GB)
- NVIDIA Quadro K6000 (12 GB)
High Performance GPU Computing:
- NVIDIA Tesla K40
- NVIDIA Tesla K20c
4 USB 3.0
5 USB 2.0
2 IEEE 1394a
1 audio line out
1 audio line in
(HP Thunderbolt 2 1-port PCIe card (optional); HP IEEE 1394b FireWire PCIe card (optional); 6 internal USB 2.0 available by 3 separate 2x5 headers)
- Expansion slots
2 PCIe Gen3 x16
1 PCIe Gen3 x8
1 PCIe Gen2 x8 (x4)
1 PCIe Gen2 x4 (x1)
1 14-in-1 media card reader (optional)
(The PCIe x8 connectors are open ended, allowing a PCIe x16 card to be seated in the slot. )
- Network interface
Integrated Intel 82579LM PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus PCIe NIC (optional)
Intel Gigabit CT Desktop NIC (optional)
HP 361T PCIe Dual-Port Gigabit NIC (optional)
Intel Ethernet I210-T1 PCIe NIC (optional)
HP Wireless 802.11 b/g/n PICe NIC (optional)
HP X520 10GbE Dual-Port Adapter (optional)
HP 10GbE SFP+ SR Transceiver (optional)
- Integrated High Definition Realtek ALC262 Audio; Creative Recon3D PCIe Audio Card (optional); HP Thin USB Powered Speakers (optional)
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- Energy efficiency
- ENERGY STAR® qualified configurations available
- Power supply
- 600 W 90% efficient, wide-ranging, active PFC; 400 W 90% efficient, wide-ranging, active PFC
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Dimensions (W x D x H)
7 x 17.5 x 17.63 in (17.78 x 44.52 x 44.76 cm)
(Standard minitower orientation)
Starting at 27.5 lb (Starting at 12.5 kg)
(Exact weight depends upon configuration.)
HP Performance Advisor
HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS) V5
HP ProtectTools Security (available as configurable option)
HP Power Assistant
PDF Complete - Corporate Edition (for Windows operating systems only)
Office Home & Business 2013 (available as configurable option)
- Security management
Padlock Support (standard - padlock optional)
Cable Lock Support (standard - cable optional)
Universal Chassis Clamp Lock (optional)
Serial, Parallel, USB, Audio, Network Enable/Disable (standard)
Removable Media Write/Boot Control (standard)
Power-On Password (standard)
Solenoid Lock and Hood Sensor (optional)
- Protected by HP Services, including a limited 3 years parts, 3 years labor, and 3 years onsite service (3/3/3) standard warranty. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
- Operating system
- HP Blade Workstation Client Embedded
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64
- Windows 7 Home Premium 32
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64
- Windows 7 Professional 32
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Professional 64
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 32
- Windows 8 64
- Windows 8 Enterprise
- Windows 8 Enterprise 32
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Pro 32
- Windows 8 Pro 64
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 32
- Windows 8.1 64
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise 32
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Windows 8.1 Pro 32
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64
- Windows 8.1 Single Language
- Windows Vista Business 32
- Windows Vista Business 64
- Microsoft Embedded X32
- Windows XP Professional 32
- Windows XP Professional 64
- HP Installer kit for Linux
- Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com.
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.