- For Home
- For Work
- Built for high-end computing and visualization. The dual-processor HP Z820 Workstation delivers outstanding performance, award-winning industrial design, and tool-free serviceability in the industry’s most expandable chassis. With next generation Intel® Xeon® processors, support for up to 16 processing cores, and the latest professional graphics, you’ll tackle even the most demanding projects like never before.
- Windows 8 Pro or other operating systems available
Unmatched design. Inside and out.
- Easily access, customize and maintain system components with a tool-less and visually cable-free chassis—ideal for direct connections with drives and power supplies. Integrated side rails and front and back handles simplify movement.
- Maximize cooling and reduce acoustics with a highly streamlined form factor designed for optimized airflow.
- Expand your daily potential with the Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v2 family1. The HP Z820 can operate up to 24 processing cores, delivering the ultimate performance to help you accomplish more every minute.
- Featuring the C600 series chipset, LSI SAS 2308 controller, and dual Quick Path Interconnects between the processors, the two work together to help you work more effectively than ever before.
- Stay a step ahead with increased memory bandwidth and support up to 512 GB of the latest generation of DDR3 memory.2
- Connect in a flash with 4X USB 3.0 bandwidth on an optional high-performance ThunderboltTM 2.0 port3 on the HP Z820.
- Built to support next generation PCIe Gen3 graphics from AMD and NVIDIA, the HP Z820 Workstation currently offers a wide range of cards from Pro 2D to ultra-high-end 3D graphics to get the job done.4
- Drive multiple displays and multitask like a pro.5 Plus, get the highest performing GPU computing solutions available in the Z family, like NVIDIA’s Maximus, on the HP Z820.4
- Access high-performance applications, including 2D and 3D video, on-site or from a remote location with HP Remote Graphics software6.
Space to fill.
- This rackable system provides 7 expansion slots, 7 expansion bays and 4-channel integrated DDR3 memory with 16 slots and support for up to 512 GBs.2
- Customize and expand with a variety of storage and I/O options including a wide range of internal HDD/ODD and external SATA devices to increase flexibility.2
Complete peace of mind.
- With 115,000 hours of testing in the HP Total Test Process, the HP Z820 is reliable and ready for business.
- HP Performance Advisor7 configures your system with updated settings and drivers to help maximize performance.
- HP workstations offer low-halogen8 and ENERGY STAR® qualified configurations featuring efficient power supplies.
- Relax with a standard, 3-year limited warranty. Choose optional HP Care Pack Services9 to extend your service.
1 Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers, and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations.
2 Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
3 Thunderbolt is new technology. Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt device (sold separately) must be compatible with Windows. To determine whether your device is Thunderbolt Certified for Windows, see https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products. Thunderbolt™ 2.0 is planned to be available via an optional add-in card in early 2014.
4 Optional features sold separately or as add on features.
5 Support for external displays as a standard feature through integrated processor-based graphics is dependent upon the particular workstation configuration; the actual number of displays supported will vary. An optional graphics solution will be required for the support of additional displays. Additional cables required. HD (high-definition) content required to view HD images.
6 HP Remote Graphics Software requires Windows and an internet connection.
7 HP Performance Advisor requires Windows and an internet connection.
8 External power supplies, power cords, cables and peripherals are not Low Halogen. Service parts obtained after purchase may not be Low Halogen.
9 HP Care Pack services are sold separately. Service levels and response times for HP Care Pack Services may vary depending on your geographic location. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. Restrictions and limitations apply. See www.hp.com/go/cpc for details.
- Operating system
Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Professional 32 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 (National Academic only))
Windows 7 Professional 32 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 (National Academic only))
Windows 8 Pro 64
Windows 8 Single Language 64
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Professional 32 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro 64)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Windows 7 Professional 64
Windows 7 Professional 32
HP Installer Kit for Linux
(HP Linux Installer Kit includes drivers for both 32-bit & 64-bit versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS5 and WS6 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 64-bit. Download Red Hat Enterprise Linux (1-year paper license only) which is available as a second operating system. )
- Processor family
- Intel® Xeon® E5 processor
Intel® Xeon® E5-2697 v2 (2.7 GHz, 30 MB cache, 12 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2695 v2 (2.4 GHz, 30 MB cache, 10 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2690 v2 (3 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2687W v2 (3.4 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 v2 (2.8 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2670 v2 (2.5 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2667 v2 (3.3 GHz, 25 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2660 v2 (2.2 GHz, 25 MB cache, 10 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 v2 (2.6 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2643 v2 (3.5 GHz, 25 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2640 v2 (2 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2637 v2 (3.5 GHz, 15 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2630 v2 (2.6 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2620 v2 (2.1 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2609 v2 (2.5 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2603 v2 (1.8 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2690 (2.9 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2687W (3.1 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 (2.7 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2670 (2.6 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2667 (2.9 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2665 (2.4 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2660 (2.2 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 (2 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2643 (3.3 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2640 (2.5 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2630 (2.3 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2620 (2 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2609 (2.4 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Xeon® E5-2603 (1.8 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Intel® C602
- Form factor:
- Rackable minitower
- Memory, maximum
512 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Load-reduced SDRAM
256 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Registered SDRAM
64 GB1600 MHzDDR3 Unbuffered SDRAM
(Actual memory speed dependent on processor. Registered, unbuffered and load-reduced DIMMS may not be mixed. )
- Memory slots:
- 16 DIMM
- Internal drive bays:
- Four 3.5"
- External drive bays:
- Three 5.25"
- Internal drive
300 GB up to 600 GB SAS (15000 rpm)
300 GB up to 1.2 TB SAS (10000 rpm)
250 GB up to 1 TB SATA (10000 rpm)
250 GB up to 3 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
500 GB SATA SED
120 GB up to 512 GB SATA SSD
256 GB SATA SE SSD
- Storage controller:
- Integrated SATA 6.0 Gb/s; Integrated SATA 3.0 Gb/s; Integrated LSI SAS 2308 Controller; LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i SAS 6Gb/s ROC RAID Card and iBBU08 Battery Backup Unit (optional); LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i SAS 6Gb/s ROC RAID Card and iBBU09 Battery Backup Unit (optional)
- Optical drive
SATA Blu-ray writer
Slot-load SATA DVD+/-RW
SATA SuperMulti DVD+/-RW
Display and graphics
Display and graphics
NVIDIA NVS 300 (512 MB); NVIDIA NVS 310 (512 MB); NVIDIA NVS 315 (1 GB)
NVIDIA Quadro 410 (512 MB); NVIDIA Quadro K600 (1 GB)
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 (2 GB)
NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (3 GB); NVIDIA Quadro K5000 (4 GB); NVIDIA Quadro 6000 (6 GB); AMD FirePro W7000 (4 GB); NVIDIA Quadro K6000 (12 GB)
High Performance GPU Computing:
NVIDIA Tesla C2075 Compute Processor; NVIDIA Tesla K20 Compute Processor
4 USB 3.0
5 USB 2.0
2 IEEE 1394a
1 audio line out
1 audio line in
2 PS/2 (keyboard & mouse)
2 RJ-45 to integrated Gigabit LAN
(6 internal USB 2.0 available by 3 separate 2x5 headers)
- Expansion slots
3 PCIe Gen3 x16
1 PCIe Gen3 x8
1 PCIe Gen3 x4
1 PCIe Gen2 x4
1 14-in-1 media card reader (optional)
(The PCIe x8 connectors are open ended, allowing a PCIe x16 card to be seated in the slot. )
- Network interface
Integrated Intel 82579LM PCIe Dual GbE controller
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus NIC (optional)
Intel Gigabit CT Desktop NIC (optional)
HP 361T PCIe dual-port Gigabit NIC (optional)
HP X520 10 GbE Dual-port adapter (optional)
HP 10 GbE SFP+ SR transceiver
Intel Ethernet I210-T1 PCIe NIC (optional)
- Integrated High Definition Realtek ALC262; HP Thin USB Powered Speakers (optional)
Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements
- Energy efficiency
- ENERGY STAR® qualified configurations available
- Power supply
- 850W 88% efficient, wide ranging, active PFC; 1125W 90% efficient, wide ranging, active PFC
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight
- Dimensions (W x D x H)
- 8 x 20.7 x 17.5 in (20.3 x 52.5 x 44.4 cm)
HP Performance Advisor
HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS) V5
HP ProtectTools Security (available as configurable option)
HP Power Assistant
PDF Complete - Corporate Edition (for Windows operating systems only)
Office Home & Business 2013 (available as configurable option)
- Security management
Cable Lock Support (standard - cable optional)
Chassis Intrusion Sensor (standard)
Serial, Parallel, USB, Audio, Network Enable/Disable (standard)
Removable Media Write/Boot Control (standard)
Power-On Password (standard)
Setup Password (standard)
Kensington Cable Lock (optional)
- Protected by HP Services, including a limited 3 years parts, 3 years labor, and 3 years onsite service (3/3/3) standard warranty. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
- Operating system
- HP Blade Workstation Client Embedded
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64
- Windows 7 Home Premium 32
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64
- Windows 7 Professional 32
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Professional 64
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 32
- Windows 8 64
- Windows 8 Enterprise
- Windows 8 Enterprise 32
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Pro 32
- Windows 8 Pro 64
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 32
- Windows 8.1 64
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise 32
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Windows 8.1 Pro 32
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64
- Windows 8.1 Single Language
- Windows Vista Business 32
- Windows Vista Business 64
- Microsoft Embedded X32
- Windows XP Professional 32
- Windows XP Professional 64
- HP Installer kit for Linux
- Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com.
HP is committed to providing our customers with information about the chemical substances in our products as needed to comply with legal requirements such as REACH (Regulation EC No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council). A chemical information report for this product can be found at: www.hp.com/go/reach.