HP Delivers Expanded, Faster, More Cost-effective Big Data Analytics
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — HP today announced the next release of the HP Vertica Analytics Platform—HP Vertica Dragline—providing organizations new and innovative ways to serve, explore and store more data in a faster and more cost-effective way to more users.
Organizations are increasingly recognizing data as a highly strategic asset, but are struggling to maximize the value for all constituents. For many, personalized access and performance demands create workload management challenges for users ranging from analysts who seek ad-hoc insights to data scientists who manage complex analytics and executives who need customized views. To maximize time to value and a lower total cost of ownership, these organizations also need to quickly explore data to unearth untapped value and store that data in the most appropriate storage tier.
HP Vertica Dragline addresses these challenges and now offers:
- Technology from HP’s “Project Maverick,” including Live Lookups, which greatly enhances the speed and performance of more frequent or highly concurrent queries on an individual basis by computing metrics on the data as it arrives for targeted and personalized analytics. HP Dynamic Workload Management identifies and adapts to varying query complexities—simple and ad-hoc queries as well as longer-running advanced queries—and dynamically assigns the appropriate amount of resources to meet the needs of data consumers.
- Expanded SQL-on-Hadoop exploration and cost-optimized storage eliminates the need to move data and supports even more formats for data exploration, including Parquet, Thrift, Avro and CEF. Businesses can now ingest, explore and visualize more data more quickly and easily with their choice of Business Intelligence/data visualization environments. To fulfill their strategic information life cycle management (ILM) plan, organizations can now use multiple storage tiers in a cost-effective manner—store older and infrequently analyzed production bulk data in Hadoop, without moving the data or using any connectors.
- Broad, Specialized Analytics, building on rich, in-database analytics, HP Vertica Dragline now includes a new sentiment analysis engine for tweets or any short pieces of freeform text as well as geospatial analytic enhancements. By combining sentiment and location data with business data, organizations can quickly understand how their online communities feel about a particular brand, product or service.
- Text Search enables search-based analytics on a range of text data, including machine logs and sentiment analysis of short text, such as tweets or product reviews.
HP Vertica Dragline supports the analytics required to address the several challenges and opportunities, including:
- Increase market share and enable competitive differentiation by providing analytics for utilities and energy companies to pursue smart meter initiatives, educating customers on consumption rates and how to ultimately lower energy costs, and telecommunications companies to provide personalized billing service as required by law in some countries.
- Preserve hardware and system resources for analysts, report writers and data scientists, who can now manage the mixed workloads with dynamic resource management, achieving an overall lower total cost of ownership.
- Predict and prevent customer churn through rich social media sentiment analysis, identifying customers who are dissatisfied and proactively offer specialized promotions on a 1:1 basis.
- Deliver personalized marketing with geo-precise target advertisements by combining big data with location data. Now, retailers can target the most relevant customers by combining location with brand affinities, consumer passion points and dynamic mobile behavior.
“Our goal continues to be maximizing the value of every organization’s most strategic asset—its data,” said Colin Mahony, vice president and general manager, Vertica, HP. “HP Vertica Dragline lets organizations store data in a cost-optimized manner, exploring it quickly and effectively using well-known SQL-based tools, and, most importantly, providing the customer insights and operational advantages to everyone with blazing-fast speed, accuracy and security.”
The HP Vertica Analytics Platform is a key component of the HP HAVEn Big Data analytics platform, which enables HP customers and partners to create next-generation applications and solutions that accelerate the monetization of big data. HP HAVEn combines proven technologies including HP Autonomy IDOL,HP Vertica Analytics Platform, HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager and HP ArcSight Logger, as well as key industry offerings such as Hadoop.
HP Vertica Dragline will be generally available worldwide soon.
More information on HP Vertica Analytics platform is available at www.vertica.com/dragline.
This news advisory contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the need to address the many challenges facing HP’s businesses; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; risks associated with executing HP’s strategy and plans for future operations; the impact of macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the need to manage third-party suppliers and the distribution of HP’s products and services effectively; the protection of HP’s intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; risks associated with HP’s international operations; the development and transition of new products and services and the enhancement of existing products and services to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its suppliers, customers, clients and partners; the hiring and retention of key employees; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2013, and that are otherwise described or updated from time to time in HP’s Securities and Exchange Commission reports. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2014 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2015 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.