HP Unveils Industry’s First and Only Self-healing BIOS Security Solution
HONG KONG, Oct. 25, 2013 — HP today announced HP BIOSphere with SureStart(1) technology–the industry’s first and only self-healing security solution created to help organizations better manage risk and protect user and IT productivity.
HP BIOSphere with SureStart technology was developed with HP Labs, the company’s central research arm, and can automatically restore the system PC Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) to its previously safe state if attacked or corrupted. This seamless(2) capability delivers a “future proof” technological breakthrough to HP EliteBook customers by providing the ultimate PC BIOS defense.
HP has added the HP SureStart solution to its multilayered HP Client Security(3) solutions portfolio to provide customers with an even stronger security protocol that defends against unauthorized system access.
IT is continually tasked with protecting confidential information, including employee identities and customer data, across multiple devices. This need to service a range of people with different work styles across the organization makes unanticipated enterprise IT security threats a constant challenge.
“The security landscape has become more complex as threats become more sophisticated and employees require device flexibility to coincide with their changing working environment,” said Benny Wong, director, Personal Systems Category, Printing and Personal Systems, HP Hong Kong. “These breakthrough security offerings are simple, seamless solutions that address these converging trends by delivering enterprise customers the ultimate fighting mechanism for mitigating risk, threats and negative business outcomes.”
HP BIOSphere with SureStart technology is the first solution of its kind to enable virtually uninterrupted(4) productivity for enterprise users by preventing corruption and providing self-healing from malware or unlikely failed PC BIOS updates. Regardless of reason—intentional malicious attack, unknown cause, a failed update or other accidental cause—HP SureStart recovers the PC BIOS for continued user productivity and reduced IT help desk requests.
With HP SureStart, customers no longer need to worry about the safety of their PC BIOS updates. Security and reliability improvements are delivered straight to the customer, via the web or customer’s internal web site. This out-of-the-box solution is based on the HP BIOSphere, HP’s industry-leading firmware ecosystem that includes the HP BIOS and a secure embedded controller. The HP BIOSphere enables both HP’s Client Security(3) and Client Management Solution offerings by automating the protection of data as well as robust configurability and manageability for HP business PCs.
HP SureStart technology provides the ultimate protection against malware attacks of the PC BIOS, preventing user downtime and IT support requests. When combined with HP BIOS Protection,(2) the solution detects, prevents, reports and allows auto recovery of advanced persistent threats (APTs). This keeps government and business professionals safe from cybercrimes—increasing productivity while gaining peace of mind.
Key features and benefits
- Industry-leading firmware protection against Permanent Denial of Service (PDoS) attacks, ensuring customers will not need to replace or reinstall hardware.
- Provides detection and automatic recovery of the firmware system in the case of a PC BIOS malware corruption or compromise, restoring the user session in about 30 seconds or less and safeguarding hardware against data loss.
- HP security and reliability improvements are delivered directly to customers via the web or customer’s internal web site, ensuring confidence in the PC BIOS rollout; PC BIOS version standard may be enforced across the organization.
- Fewer help desk calls for crisis recovery or bricked units.
HP SureStart technology is now available on HP EliteBook 800 series.
(1) HP SureStart is available only on HP EliteBook 800 and HP Workstation ZBook series products.
(2) If all copies of BIOS are compromised or deleted in system flash, HP Tools partition with HP BIOS is required for automatic recovery; otherwise a manual step for recovering BIOS is available.
(3) Some elements of HP Client Security requires Windows®.
(4) Some situations are uninterrupted; some would be an interrupt because it would require end user to finish the recovery.
Microsoft and Windows are U.S. registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.