Affordable performance and flexibility,
HP Z230 Workstation
Create a totally immersive work environment for those who demand reliability and performance on a budget. Designed for heavy 24x7x365 workloads, the HP Z230 delivers next-generation processor, graphics technologies and scalability to match your business needs.
HP Z230 SFF
The workstation that fits your workspace
Engineered to impress. The redesigned HP Z230 Small Form Factor Workstation provides the capability and flexibility you demand in a 61% smaller form factor than the tower.
HP Z230 Tower
Rock solid reliability, affordably priced
Built for heavy 24/7/365 workloads, with amazingly flexible storage and IO capabilities, the affordable HP Z230 Tower Workstation efficiently handles all the processes of today's demanding business applications.
- View full Z230 Tower Workstation specsHide full specsView full Z230 Tower Workstation specs
Form factor Tower Available operating systems
- Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Other editions available**
- Windows 7 Professional 32-bit Other editions available***
- HP Linux Installer Kit
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (90 day license)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop/Workstation (1 year paper license; no preinstalled OS)
- ProcessorGHzCacheMemoryCoresHyper-ThreadingIntel® vPro™ TechnologyIntel® HD Graphics
- Intel® Core™ i5-4570 processor3.206 MB1600 MHz4NoYes4600
- Intel® Core i5-4670 processor3.406 MB1600 MHz4NoYes4600
- Intel® Core i7-4770 processor3.408 MB1600 MHz4YesYes4600
- Intel Xeon® processor E3-1225v23.208 MB1600 MHz4NoYesP4600
- Intel Xeon® processor E3-1230v23.308 MB1600 MHz4YesYesNo
- Intel Xeon processor E3-1240v23.408 MB1600 MHz4YesYesNo
- Intel Xeon processor E3-1245v33.408 MB1600 MHz4YesYesP4600
- Intel Xeon processor E3-1270v33.508 MB1600 MHz4YesYesNo
- Intel Xeon processor E3-1280v33.608 MB1600 MHz4YesYesNo
Chipset Intel® C226 chipset Memory7,8 4 DIMM slots, up to 32 GB ECC/non-ECC, DDR3 1600 MHz Drive Controllers9
- Integrated SATA Controller, RAID 0,1 supported: 5 ports, 6 Gb/s
- Up to (3) 3.5-inch 7200 rpm SATA drives: 500 GB, 1, 2 or 3 TB (9 TB max)
- Up to (3) 2.5-inch 10K rpm SATA drives: 250, 500 GB, 1 TB (3 TB max)
- Up to (3) 2.5-inch SATA SDD drives: 128, 256 GB (0.5 TB max)
- Up to (1) 2.5-inch SATA self-encrypting solid state boot drive (SED SSD): 256 GB, 256 GB max
- Up to (1) 2.5-inch SATA self-encrypting 7200 rpm boot drive (SED): 500 GB, 500 GB max
- Optional (1) 64 GB SSD Disk Cache Module can be used in conjunction with up to (2) SATA HDDsi n RAID 0/RAID 1 using Intel® Smart Response Technology.
Optical storage11,12 DVD-ROM, DVD+/-RW DL Super Multi, HP Blu-ray Writer, HP 14-in-1 Media Card Reader Drive bays
- 2 internal 3.5-inch bays
- 1 internal 2.5-inch bay
- 1 external slim ODD bay
- 2 external Half-Height 5.25-inch bays
- 1 PCIe Gen3 x16
- 1 PCIe Gen2 x4 slot/x16 connector
- 1 PCIe Gen2 x1 slot/x4 connector
- 1 PCIe Gen2 x1 slot, 1 PCI 32-bit
- Integrated Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics available on select processors as above
- Professional 2D:NVIDIA NVS 310, NVIDIA NVS 315, NVIDIA NVS 510
- Entry 3D:AMD FirePro™ V3900, NVIDIA Quadro 410, NVIDIA Quadro K600
- Mid-range:NVIDIA Quadro K2000
- High-end 3D:AMD FirePro™ W7000 (AMO**** only), NVIDIA Quadro K4000
Audio High Definition Integrated Realtek ALC221 Audio and integrated speaker; optional HP Thin USB Powered Speakers Network
- Integrated Intel I217LM PCIe GbE Controller
- Optional Intel Ethernet I210-T1 PCIe as 2nd NIC
- Intel® vPro™ with Intel® AMT 9.0
- Front:2 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0; 1 USB 2.0
- Rear:2 USB 3.0; 4 USB 2.0; 1 DVI-I single link and 2 DisplayPort 1.2 (for use with Intel HD Graphics); 1 audio in; 1 audio out; 1 microphone; 1 serial (optional); 2 PS/2; RJ-45 (LoM), optional 2 IEEE 1394b ports
- Internal:1 USB 3.0, 3 USB 2.0
- HP PS/2 keyboard
- HP USB keyboard
- HP USB CCID smart card keyboard
- HP PS/2 mouse
- HP USB optical mouse
- HP USB 1000 dpi laser mouse
- HP Optical 3-button optical mouse
- USB SpaceMouse Pro
- USB SpacePilot Pro
Dimensions (H x W x D) 15.7 x 6.7 x 17.4 in (39.93 x 17.04 x 44.25 cm) Power Supply
- 400-watt 92% efficient power supply
Compatible Displays (screen size diagonally measured)
- HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional Display
- HP ZR30w 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor
- HP ZR2740w 27-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor
- HP ZR2440w 24-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor
- HP ZR2240w 21.5-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor
- HP ZR2040w 20-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor
- HP Z Display Z22i 21.5-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor
- HP Z Display Z23i 23-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor
- HPZ24i 24-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor
Warranty13 Limited three-year Mon-Fri 8-5 next business day, parts, labor and 24/7 phone support, terms and conditions may vary. One-year warranty option available in selected countries.
Available graphics cards
Z230 CMTHigh-end 3D
- NVIDIA® Quadro® 6000
- NVIDIA® Quadro® K5000
- NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000
- NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000
- AMD FirePro™ W7000
- AMD FirePro™ V7000
- NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000
- NVIDIA® Quadro® 2000
- NVIDIA® Quadro® K600
- NVIDIA® Quadro® 600
- NVIDIA® Quadro® 400
- AMD FirePro™ V3900
- NVIDIA® NVS 510
- NVIDIA® NVS 310
- NVIDIA® NVS 300
The HP Z230 has power to spare - and share
Enjoy the latest in performance and energy efficiency from Intel's next generation processor architecture. The latest Intel† Xeon® processor E3-1200 v3 family1 and the 4th generation Intel Core processors, as well as rich graphics are designed to keep up with your workload. Keep your work front-and-center with support for up to six monitors2,3 and easily connect your peripherals and devices using the four PCIe slots4, one PCI input/output slot,† ten external USB ports and the fast charging USB port.† With HP Remote Graphics Software you can take your graphics intensive workstation applications wherever you go and collaborate with colleagues around the office or around the world, in real time.
Professional works demand professional graphics
100,000 hours of testing per year are spent simulating real-world customer workloads, as well as stress-testing that far exceeds typical usage, translate into higher quality drivers that customers trust. Strong relationships with NVIDIA,® AMD, and Intel® help us quickly resolve any issues. That's how HP Workstations are equipped with graphics cards featuring optimized thermal and power design, wide-ranging application certification, and a full three-year limited warranty.
© Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Intel, Intel Logo, Intel Core, Intel Inside, Intel Inside Logo, Xeon, and Xeon Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
AMD is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
NVIDIA is a trademark of NVIDIA Corporation
* HP Z230 SFF model
† HP Z230 Tower model
** Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 8. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows 8 functionality. See microsoft.com. The integrated display resolution is below the threshold for snapping apps, a new feature that allows two Windows apps to be viewed simultaneously side by side. This feature may be enabled by attaching an external display which supports a screen resolution of 1366x768 or higher.
*** This system may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. See microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details.
**** After-Market Option
- Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers, and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel® 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See intel.com/info/em64t for more information.
- Requires both NVIDIA NVS 510 and NVS 310 graphics cards to be installed.
- Optional feature sold separately or as an add on feature.
- PCIe Gen 3 is a new technology; card availability may be limited.
- Some features may not be available in all regions.
- Intel® Hyper-Threading - The hyper-threading feature is designed to improve performance of multi-threaded software products; please contact your software provider to determine software compatibility. Not all customers or software applications will benefit from the use of hyperthreading. Go to intel.com/info/hyperthreading for more information, including which processors support HT Technology.
- Each processor supports up to 2 channels of DDR3 memory. To realize full performance at least 1 DIMM must be inserted into each channel.
- Intel® Xeon E3, Intel Core i3 and Intel Pentium processors can support either ECC or non-ECC memory. Intel Core i5 and i7 processors only support non-ECC memory.
- SATA hardware RAID is not supported on Linux systems. The Linux kernel, with built-in software RAID, provides excellent functionality and performance. It is a good alternative to hardware-based RAID. Please visit h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00060684/c00060684.pdf for RAID capabilities with Linux.
- For hard drives, 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less.
- Actual speeds may vary. Does not permit copying of commercially available DVD movies or other copyright protected materials. Intended for creation and storage of your original material and other lawful uses. Note that DVD-RAM cannot read or write to 2.6 GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided – Version 1.0 media.
- Blu-ray Writer - As Blu-ray is a new format containing new technologies, certain disc, digital connection, compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require a DVI or HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HD DVD movies cannot be played on this workstation.
- HP Care Pack Services extend service contracts beyond the standard warranties. Service starts from date of hardware purchase. To choose the right level of service for your HP product, use the HP Care Pack Services Lookup Tool at www.hp.com/go/lookuptool Additional HP Care Pack Services information by product is available at www.hp.com/go/carepack. Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location.