Sustainability is taking off in big ways—especially in tech. From talk of exciting trends, like rapid urbanization, to much more depressing realities, like Trash Island becoming a nation, “going green” is quickly becoming a priority—and IT can play a big role.
Businesses are taking advantage of innovative IT sustainability solutions to improve their efficiency while lessening their environmental footprint. From green printing to lower energy consumption and beyond, companies are making a positive impact on the planet. Here’s how IT can take advantage of modern innovations in office tech to support sustainability.
Achieve IT sustainability with eco-friendly printing
Believe it or not, printers offer businesses one of the best ways to raise their sustainability game. Here are a few tips for enabling eco-friendly printing at your company:
- Boost your sustainability with printers that consume far less electricity than their predecessors. Some printer supplies are also made from closed loop recycled plastic and other electronics.
- Get even smarter with printers that automatically turn themselves on when needed and shut themselves down when idle, reducing your energy usage while preserving the bottom line.
- Go green with modern ink and toner cartridges that use closed loop recycled plastics but still produce the high-quality documents your business requires.
- Take advantage of free partner programs that responsibly recycle your used toner and ink cartridges.
- Want to level up your green printing even further? Look for managed print services providers who can offer analytical insights and deployment strategies to help you optimize your efficiency by leaps and bounds.
Reduce energy consumption for a win-win
As any IT pro knows, another item at the top of a company’s IT sustainability agenda is energy. This is one of those “go green, save green” areas, and selecting energy-efficient workstations is often the first order of business. We’re not just talking about that nice little Energy Star sticker attached to every computer you’ve deployed for the last several years. We’re way beyond that.
- You can cut costs with laptops and desktops that enter power-saving mode when they’re not in use and consume less energy while running quietly. You can even take advantage of durable, sustainable all-in-one PCs that provide optimal uptime and can be flexibly re-deployed to suit changing needs.
- Make sure your appliances across the board are energy efficient, too, including refrigerators, dishwashers, lighting, and even the all-important coffee maker that keeps IT from getting too grouchy on rough days at the office.
- Green your data center. Motion sensors can ensure your data center is only lit while in use, further shaving down energy costs. Energy-efficient surge protectors keep devices running in standby mode from wasting power after everyone’s left for the night.
- Bonus round: How sustainable is your energy provider? Go above and beyond for the planet by confirming your building’s energy is coming from renewable sources. If it’s not, it’s time to switch.
Innovate at the speed of light with sustainable technology
Greening your business can help your company work smarter, thanks to some handy technology you may already use. If your company allows employees to work from home, you can notch multiple sustainability wins in your belt at once, including:
- Reduced emissions associated with travel
- Energy savings in an office with less staff
- Fewer costs for office supplies
- Less need for office space in general
- More fulfilled and productive employees
Get your business future-ready with digitized workflows
Digitizing workflows is a natural next step for taking your office into the future of efficient technology. Here a few ways in which you can get your company future-ready in a sustainable way:
- Bring order to chaos with digital workflows, streamlining time-consuming business processes and removing bottlenecks that inhibit innovation.
- Boost employee satisfaction by making their work more efficient, enabling them to reach greater heights at the office.
- Take a bold step toward digital maturity and transform your company into an agile, innovation-ready environment.
Sustainability is far more achievable for businesses today than ever, thanks in large part to a new generation of innovative solutions that are environmentally friendly. If your business hasn’t yet explored the many ways it can go green for good, now’s the time. Not only can you reduce your environmental impact, but you can reap the rewards of cost savings and opportunities for dynamic business growth. That’s the kind of sustainability—both for the business and the planet—we can all geek out about.